Science Forums

Where The Human Excrement Flows

chenyu

Where does the human excrement flow in the city? Actually all the human excrement flow into rivers in china city. Can the depostion pool(septic tank) save excrement?

In china's every residence, the excrement and the waste water flow into the depostion pool(septic tank) beside house through the household drainage pipe. The exits of depostion pools connect with the public larger drainage pipe in city. The exits of city public big drainage pipe lead to rivers. This is the common style of dealing with excrement, urine, and waste water in china city.

The only installation in dealing with excrement and waste water is the depostion pool beside residence in china city. Can it collect excrement or prevent excrement from going into river? If we count according to the volume of the depostion pool, we would found the depostion pool will be filled up with excrement in one or two monthes. But, in fact, most of the depostion pools are never dealt with during ten years or twenty years.

Now. I will dissect the use of the depostion pools. Every day there is much waste water and excrement flowing into the depostion pool. On flowing into the depostion pool, most of excrement quickly resolves from lumps to wadding, and is suspended in the pool. Then the excrement and waste water flowing into the city public big drainage pipe.(the washing water scour them out,or say:the washing water bring most of the excrement into the the public larger drainage pipe from the tank.) At last they flow into river. The use of the depostion pool is only changing the excrement from lumps to wadding, so that they don't block up the city's public big drainage pipe. It doesn't work for collecting excrement. And it is just the midway station when the excrement flows into river.

There are 500 million people in china's cities, and there is much excrement in the cities everyday. If all the excrement is provided to farmers as fertilizer at least it can be used for 100 million mil farmland. Because of lacking fertilizer, many farmers still buy it. Now the excrement is wasted and flows into rivers to pollutes our drinking water.

So, I advise that the relevant departments of the city goverment should forbid that the depostion pools connect with the public drainage pipe in city. We shouldn't lead the excrement to rivers, we should collect the excrement in depostion pools regularly and send them to farmers as fertilizer. The works of collecting the excrement would make many new jobs for people out of job too.

--------------------

name:chenyu.

ADDRESS:people hospital.huangchuan County.henan Province.china. code:465150

telephone:008613598583618

ttp://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/viewthread.php?tid=509645&extra=page%3D1

--------------------

I like green.like science.like internet.like to live in a small house around plants trees.oppose high consumption.

Heck - this is a rather crappy thread...

Any case - over here, we have sewerage treatment plants. The only guys crapping in the rivers are informal squatter camps that have sprung up recently; the government have a continuous program of installing proper ablutions in the older squatter camps, as the development goes on.

But each and every formal town here in South Africa has a properly built sewerage network, where the affluent is properly treated. Water is recycled from most of these plants, and fed back into the water system. And no, it might sound gross, but it's not. It's clean H2O that comes out the other side. Besides - you've had a mouthful of sea water before? Well, it's full of crap, too. Much, much dirtier than anything coming out of a waste water treatment plant.

Dumping the stuff in rivers are lethal to the river ecosystem. You might wonder how, seeing as crap in general can be viewed as totally natural. This would be a good topic of debate, but the problem with human excretement is that it adds way too much nitrogen to the riverwater, with a resultant bloom in algae - specifically the blue/green kind that kinda screws with the little fishies. Dumping the untreated affluent into the rivers is stupid and short-sighted. Get your government to change the practice!

Using human waste as fertilizer isn't always the best idea, either. I can't recall the exact argument right now, but as far as I can remember, there are issues also with too high concentrations of all kinds of chemicals in human excretement that'll damage the soil in the long term. Don't quote me on this, though - I'll have to get you some links first.

Lastly, I live on a farm, and we're not connected to the municipal sewerage works. What I have is called a "French drain". Basically, just a big hole dug in the ground, filled with big chunky boulders and a concrete roof over it. This roof is covered with soil to the level of the rest of the garden. A piece of rotten meat is chucked into the hole before the roof is put on. Yeah - this is gross, but you need to get the bacteria in somehow. This hole might be about three of four cubic meters in size, but never needs any attention again. The bacteria in the piece of rotten meat just carries on, reproducing happily with every fresh flush to hit it. The solids are converted mostly into methane gas, which percolates through the soil, back into the atmosphere. The only problem with this is that you can only clean your tiolet with specific chemicals. Normal off-the-shelf chems will kill the bacteria in the French Drain, and then pretty soon you'll have a blockage.

There are plenty options, but just dumping the raw seweage into the nearest river is probably the dumbest thing to do, unless you like the idea of a lot of dead fish floating down the river. And I'm sure there are a bunch of guys upstream from you who are doing the same thing.

Ewwww.....

In the city of Worcester we have a sewage treatment plant about a mile from where I live, luckily I live upwind. It has always worked well in treating human wastes. However, this year we received 12 inches of rain in less than a week and the plant was overwhelmed with millions of gallons of raw sewage overflowing into the Blackstone River, which had been cleaned up over several decades. Officials claimed that it would be diluted by the river water and little harm would come. Tell that to people who live downstream and whose homes were flooded with sewage!