Science Forums

Positive Proof Of Global Warming

Dov Henis

Good thread idea.

Good title

Lame substantiation.

The in-depth analysis of air bubbles trapped in a 3.2km-long core of frozen snow shows current greenhouse gas concentrations are unprecedented.

The East Antarctic core is the longest, deepest ice column yet extracted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5314592.stm

Just curious if any of you all have done anything to reduce your carbon footprint or otherwise taken any course of action regarding the positive proof of global warming?

Just curious if any of you all have done anything to reduce your carbon footprint or otherwise taken any course of action regarding the positive proof of global warming?

Since you asked...

I have replaced most of our bulbs with CFB cutting energy used by about 8?

New HVAC system with a high energy star rating.

I also restrict my driving.

Next year I am building a new energy efficient home with solar panels. The wood floors will be a fast growing ecological friendly wood.

I will also be buying an electric car, although that is as much for the reason of reducing our dependance on oil from the mideast as it is for the lower CO2 needed in production/running of the car.

Since you asked...

I have replaced most of our bulbs with CFB cutting energy used by about 8?

New HVAC system with a high energy star rating.

I also restrict my driving.

Next year I am building a new energy efficient home with solar panels. The wood floors will be a fast growing ecological friendly wood.

I will also be buying an electric car, although that is as much for the reason of reducing our dependance on oil from the mideast as it is for the lower CO2 needed in production/running of the car.

Good onya mate!:) On the fast growing wood, is that Poplar by any chance? By all means let one of us start a thread soon on the farming of Poplar trees.

On the restricted driving, anyone can take the baby step of leaving out one non-essential driving trip per week, and then build from there. Money in our pockets folks, even if reducing your carbon footprint doesn't interest you.:hihi:

It actually is a new type of wood our builder is using (new in its use to our builder, not a new species of tree:)). I am meeting with him and the HVAC guy to look at it and other things that will make the house more energy efficient.

The money savings really do start to pile up. Amazing how much we spend on energy.

First thing I did when I bought my house was install a 17 SEER HVAC unit. I live roughly 3 miles from my main job, so when it's too hot to ride my bike, it's still not burning much gas. Everything is shut off at home when I'm gone for the day, blinds closed to keep cooling needs down. Have trees in yard which help with same. And I'm pretty consistent with my comments here on Hypo that a critical mass of people will make each individuals tiny changes much more signficant.

I was going to go all smart *** and state that I bought a Hummer, but this is a serious issue. :hihi:

Speaking of Hummers, I don't know weather to laugh or cry each time I see the latest Hummer3 commercial bragging about their 20 mpg rating!

Great points Infinite. We also are planning trees to give us the best sun/shade affects.

Do you have blinds in between the window panes, or are they inside the house? I was wondering if, in the case of standard blinds, the heat from the sun would just increase the temperature of the blind and air in-between the blind and the window.

Would appreciate any tips or experiences you have had.

And I'm pretty consistent with my comments here on Hypo that a critical mass of people will make each individuals tiny changes much more signficant.

I was going to go all smart *** and state that I bought a Hummer, but this is a serious issue. :hihi:

Speaking of critical mass, even the Sierra Club is now promoting more nuclear plants in the US. It's about time! I have the same idea of consistance here at Hypog that nuclear IS the way we need to go. What do y'all think?:hihi:

It actually is a new type of wood our builder is using (new in its use to our builder, not a new species of tree). I am meeting with him and the HVAC guy to look at it and other things that will make the house more energy efficient.

Details man! :D What do you mean "new kind of wood"? Feed me!!!:lol:

I mentioned the Poplar tree farming and here is some data; do you all think this merits its own thread?

"Out of four million acres in the county, probably only about 300 are naturally wooded," explained Marilyn Moore, agent with the Malheur County office of the Oregon State University Extension Service. "But we think we can grow 18-inch diameter saw logs in eight to nine years with possible yields of $4,000 to $5,000 per acre.

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/newsarch/1996/96October/poplar.htm

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 32,700 for Poplar farming. (0.10 seconds) powered by Google

I live in the Pacific Northwest and see these Poplar farms all about. Looks like a winning proposition more than not to me.:ip:

I like the idea of nuclear plants. The technology has come a long way since we last built one.

I must appologize Turtle as I have no details yet. Once I meet with the builder I will post the info.

What I was told is the trees grow back in 15 years and they come from Brazil. Based on just that the Poplar sounds like a better deal.

Speaking of critical mass, even the Sierra Club is now promoting more nuclear plants in the US. It's about time! I have the same idea of consistance here at Hypog that nuclear IS the way we need to go. What do y'all think?:)

I agree. I just wonder where they are going to dump all that nuclear waste? The technology has improved but, what about the waste management issues?

:D

Hoppefully we don't resort to the U.S. Department of Energy's idea to dump the nuclear waste into a mountian less than 10 miles from a presently innactive volcanoe:

(scroll about 1/2 way down the page for my main point; other questions answered in the letter too)

http://www.citizen.org/cmep/energy_enviro_nuclear/newnukes/northanna/articles.cfm?ID=12861

I would agree that the PBMR needs to be put into place, however burying the spent nuclear fuel will not affect the dormant volcano.

Zyth, perhaps Lyptus is the wood that you are thinking of. Eucalyptus trees can be grown and harvested in 7 years according to other sites I visited and this is hard stuff (chopping block wood).

The problem with getting everyone to use these type of woods though is pointed out in the following article.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Hardwood_Flooring_Grades.html

After all, compare poplar with peruvian walnut or Imbuia

It is so bland.

In looking at a few more sites though, I think it comes down to chosing the right pieces, because there are others that have much more character than the pictures above.

http://www.penningtonhardwoods.com/sshownav.htm

You could also go with reclaimed wood. There is apparently a lot of it around. My father and I used to tear down corn cribs and barns for the used lumber. It takes time, but what a great value.

Additionally some places sell reclaimed wood from wine and olive vats in california and all kinds of other sources. That's one way to get redwood or other hard to get beautiful wood. There's a place in like Northern California or somewhere in the Pac NW that supplies the stuff. Probably a bit pricey but worth it if you want that wood.

Speaking of critical mass, even the Sierra Club is now promoting more nuclear plants in the US.

Wow. That is cool. How exactly do these differ from the photosynthetic kind? ;)

Do you have blinds in between the window panes, or are they inside the house? I was wondering if, in the case of standard blinds, the heat from the sun would just increase the temperature of the blind and air in-between the blind and the window.

My blinds currently are of the inside the window, horizontal slat variety. The blind basically serves to reflect away the sun's radiation which has passed through the window. Just like being outside. It's nicer to lay in the shade during summer than in an open field.

I have a few other "higher priority" changes to do on the house first (namely, replacing the roof... eek), but want very much to change the windows from the crappy 1972 poor efficiency ones in currently to something much more efficient. They make many windows now, such as those you referenced with blinds in the middle, but also with clear films and pressurized gas which provide a barrier to heat transmission but not visible light. Very cool indeed, and once I've paid for the roof, I will begin saving for those.

The Efficient Windows Collaborative

Fact Sheets for proper windows by location

The problem with getting everyone to use these type of woods though is pointed out in the following article.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Hardwood_Flooring_Grades.html

If I may be so bold as to point out some errors myself.:cup:

First, a quote from your link:

You know home buyers want the warm personalities of North American hardwoods like ash, maple, birch, and poplar.

The term "hardwood" is sorely misunderstood generally, and misapplied specifically here. "Hardwood" refers to wood from a deciduous tree, wheras "softwood" refers to wood from a coniferous tree. The terms have nothing to do with the specific hardness of a wood. Poplar is a hardwood only technically(deciduous) but it is far softer than Ash, Maple, or Birch. Douglas Fir on the other hand is technically a softwood, but it is often physically harder than poplar.

The Poplar farming is oriented not to producing face quality wood, but structural pieces as well as pulp for paper.

You could also go with reclaimed wood. There is apparently a lot of it around. My father and I used to tear down corn cribs and barns for the used lumber. It takes time, but what a great value.

Reclaiming is good.:naughty: I'm curious to know what region of the country those cribs were in and the type of wood you recovered?

Speaking of critical mass, even the Sierra Club is now promoting more nuclear plants in the US.

Wow. That is cool. How exactly do these differ from the photosynthetic kind?

Good question Now! They glow in the dark and so carry on photosynthesis even at night.:naughty: :)

Your definition is quite right according to numerous websites that define the terms (google "define: hardwood").

My and mine have always referred to hardwood quite differently, though. For instance, we have a "hardwood" maple in the backyard, but a couple of "softwood" maples growing elsewhere. It is the hardwood variety that my dad likes, but the different types make for better syrups.

I was a bit confused as to why they would call poplar a hardwood, as most of my family have always thought of it as a junk tree. I did a quick search and found a for dummies site that defines the differences in hardness of wood.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2323.html

That being said, I would always want to choose a long lasting hard wood, not something that will get gouged easily.

I would assume that if they make poplar flooring (which they do) then they would have to have really high grade poplar, and it would most likely come in thinner strips instead of 3, 4, or 6 inch wide boards.

I have lived my entire life in central Illinois. We reclaimed wood of all types and status, keeping the good parts. If the crib was still useable, then we could reclaim 2x4 to 2x12 solid pieces of wood anywhere from 4 to 20 or more feet in length. Let me tell you 20' 2"x12" is mighty fine for any beams you want to make, but are hard to keep straight. Of course we knew how to store wood, so we put it to use in repairing other old barns and occasionally put it to use in remodels and add ons of new houses.

Shiplap flooring and siding, and tongue and groove flooring, wainscoating (sp?) and other types of wood were often salvageable out of these structures if they were sound.

Other dilapidated structures generally had good 2x4 up to 2x10 boards in lengths 4' to 10' in length but little else.

Farmers have to keep busy during the winter months, and while it might teach you how to endure the cold, it wasn't very enjoyable work as a 10 year old kid.