Science Forums

Positive Proof Of Global Warming

Dov Henis

Your definition is quite right according to numerous websites that define the terms (google "define: hardwood").

My and mine have always referred to hardwood quite differently, though. ...

I spent one of my 20 year careers as a carpenter/cabinetmaker so I appreciate your checking up on me, and also your different definition.:)

I have lived my entire life in central Illinois. We reclaimed wood of all types and status, keeping the good parts.

In collecting some crib wood myself in the midwest, I found that a lot of the old ones were Walnut.

On the Poplars again (still?), here is a link which explains the special hybridization of Poplar & the uses of the wood:

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/poplar/hybridpoplar/poplar.htm

:) ;) :ip: :ip: :ip: :ip: :ip: :ip: :ip: :ip: :ip: :ip: :ip: :ip: :ip:

Excellent site. I was of course referring to the generic poplar tree that grows rather rapidly has a white bark, grows to about 30 feet and dies after about 10-15 years of life leaving just a bunch of junk wood.

Cottonwoods grow all over the place and are also considered junk wood because they aren't hard enough for furniture or other building use, make a mess every spring/summer (i like the fluff but it makes keeping your car clean tough) and isn't dense enough to burn in the regular fashion for fuel (denser woods burn much longer thus making stoking the fire a less time consuming thing.)

The last part on that link though says pelletizing the stuff which I agree would be the only good way to make it burn. Since it would be easier to pelletize than harder wood, and it grows a heck of a lot faster too, that makes it A1 stuff in my book. Keep the "better wood" for other use.

As for solving the "greenhouse effect" (yes I purposefully put quotes around it) fast growing trees need extra energy and thus would absorb a whole lot more carbon. But wouldn't burning the pellets then just make the situation back to bad?

i seen that a man, who has the nobel prize for his work on the ozone layer, once thought of a plan, that if we shoot sulfer into the atmosphere.. they will act as a mirror and bring down the temp about .5 percent.. kind of like a volcano. i don't remember the link.. ill look for it.

a shame we are killing our one and only world.

As for solving the "greenhouse effect" (yes I purposefully put quotes around it) fast growing trees need extra energy and thus would absorb a whole lot more carbon. But wouldn't burning the pellets then just make the situation back to bad?

Yes, I agree burning the farmed Poplar is not conducive to reducing carbon. However, as building material it sequesters the carbon. Some farms grow hybrid Poplar only to a size suitable for 1 2x4 per tree. The entire plot is harvested & replanted and the 2x4's go into housing frames while the trimmings go to the paper plant.:)

i seen that a man, who has the nobel prize for his work on the ozone layer, once thought of a plan, that if we shoot sulfer into the atmosphere.. they will act as a mirror and bring down the temp about .5 percent.. kind of like a volcano. i don't remember the link.. ill look for it.

a shame we are killing our one and only world.

Yah, don't bother. I think it would be a brilliant idea to fix global warming for a day by filling the skies with acid rain bearing clouds of sulfur and killing all life on earth in days rather than hundreds of years.

Global Warming Shows Up in Fly Genes

Climate warming over the last quarter century is writ large in tiny fruit flies, according to a genetic analysis. In a species of fruit fly, the frequencies of so-called inversions, in which a piece of chromosome is flipped around, were observed decades ago to correspond to the latitude at which the flies were found. In nearly all the sites where the flies have recently been sampled--a span of three continents--the frequency of specific inversions has increased hand in hand with climbing temperatures. "It's a very clear signal that climate warming is going to have a big impact on our environment," says Raymond Huey of the University of Washington, co-author of a Science report published online August 31 that documents the change.

Forwarded by Dov