Science Forums

Common Chemical Apparatuses

Mercedes Benzene

Once again, I present an educational thread pertaining to the field of Chemistry!

The purpose of this thread is to detail common laboratory apparatuses in a manner that educates the general population of their common utilizations.

I shall start:

Volumetric Flask

The volumetric flask is commonly used to create very precise solutions (specifically relating to Molarity).

Once the proper calculations are performed, the necessary amount of solute is placed in the bottom of the flask. Water (or any other solvent) is then added whilst stirring until the measurement line is reached. Many size volumetric flasks exist.

Here is a picture of 3 volumetric flasks:

Feel free to post any laboratory equipment you wish!

The beaker, a very versatile and useful piece of equiptment. It comes in various sizes, is not used for an exact measure and is shaped like an open ended cylinder. It can be used to observe reaction, hold reactants or for the enthusiast a kitcken wear version could hold your dinner time glass of water :D

Retort

A retort is a primitive method of distillation, now often replaced by a Liebig or other water-cooled condensers.

A retort was a common item in an alchemist's lab. They are still used today, just not as often.

The large part of the flask is heated, and the vaporized distillate flows down the graduated stem into an awaiting receptacle.

Not quite as precise as our modern day digital dealies, but the Galileon thermometers are very cool. I've got one on my bookshelf.

"Smallen" the image, eh Turtle? :shrug:

Littlen then.:D Please littlen the image.:)

Speaking of precision, how many actually read the description in the Wicky link I gave? Each weight must be accurate to a tolerance of 1/1000th gram!!!!

I therefore nominate the scale/balance as the next CCA ( Common Chemical Apparatus). I request someone find & post a smallered image of a scale.:shrug:

As per Turtle's nomination...

the scale/balance.

Electric Balance

An electric balance is one of the most important CCAs (:)) found in the lab. Balances are useful for measuring fairly precise samples of... well... really anything.

Some analytical balances can have an accuracy of far greater than .1 miligram :D, and can run upwards of $30,000!!

I read the link, it was interesting, quite an ingenious idea!

Next on the CCA is the Burette, how else would a chemist perform such accurate titrations!

A burette is is a vertical cylindrical piece of glassware with a volumetric graduation on its full length and a precision tap for supplying very exact amounts liquid. Precision varies with design, in my experience with the ones we used at school you can measure down to .05mL about the volume of one drop.

image from core.ecu.edu/chem