Science Forums

Increased Nicotine Levels in Cigs

cwes99_03

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-09-01-voa29.cfm

A report released from the Massachusettes Deparment of Public Health shows that nicotine levels in cigarettes sold in that state have increased in an average of 10% over the past 10 years.

Among those studied, the three most popular brands smoked by teens showed an average increase of 12% in nicotine content. Kool, marketed to African-Americans, showed an increase of 20%.

Doral LIGHTS, increased by 36%.

Overall, the 10 % increase was seen in all types of cigarettes, light, regular, menthol, filtered or unfiltered.

Nicotine is, of course, the addictive content of cigarettes.

Nicotine is an alkaloid found in the nightshade family of plants (Solanaceae), predominantly in tobacco, and in lower quantities in tomato, potato, eggplant (aubergine), and green pepper. Nicotine alkaloids are also found in the leaves of the coca plant. Nicotine constitutes 0.3 to 5% of the tobacco plant by dry weight, with biosynthesis taking place in the roots, and accumulates in the leaves. It is a potent nerve poison and is included in many insecticides.

In lower concentrations, the substance is a stimulant and is one of the main factors responsible for the dependence-forming properties of tobacco smoking.

So, the big question. Are cigarette manufacturers adding nicotine to their products to add to the addictiveness of them, thus making larger and more long term profits, or are the plants themselves naturally producing more nicotine due to the climate changes experience in the past 10 years.

Other recent studies have shown that the climate changes in recent years have greatly affected grape harvests around the world. Wine makers have noted great increases in the alcoholic content of their wines in recent years, particularly in Australian wines.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200608/s1721760.htm

What do you all think?

So, the big question. Are cigarette manufacturers adding nicotine to their products to add to the addictiveness of them, thus making larger and more long term profits, or are the plants themselves naturally producing more nicotine due to the climate changes experience in the past 10 years.

Or, have they simply learned to grow tobacco such that it naturally produces more nicotine? Cannabis growers have successfully grown cannabis with greatly increased levels of THC as the years go by.

Tar is the greater health threat, cancer-wise. Nicotine is addictive, both a stimulant and a depressant, but I don't think it causes cancer.

However, the importance behind increased nicotine levels is that, a measurable increase in nicotine means that long term usage will increase, and short term useage may also increase (due to increased urges) both of which mean a larger intake of tar and other carcinogens.

Nicotine is naturally found in multiple edible plants, such as tomatoes.

It would be interesting to see if data can be found on natural nicotine levels in such plants, and the increase of such over time.

It is my personal opinion that increased nicotine levels are not caused by natural phenomena such as global warming.

I believe I once read that nicotine is created by plants naturally as a way to prevent bugs from eating the plant's leaves. If this is the case, then the only natural explanation for increased nicotine levels would be an increase of pests... but even so would take hundreds of years for the plants to adapt.

My guess is that companies add nicotine, or genetically alter the crop to produce higher levels. This would obviously increase sales due to the increased "addictive power".

Don't smoke.

the plants are selectively bred probably even moreso than coca or marijuana. another note is that nicotiana seems to get progessivly more potent the higher up. the tops of the plants are far higher concentrations than the lower portion.

with all the testing available and all the testing that no doubt happens i doubt that they dont know about, and dont fix, such things.

not sure about long term affects of nicotine, but it is certainly one DEADLY drug! i cant imagine a plant that can knock you right out after one big hit being safe (N. rustica).

they also breed plants to be resistant to pests (especially tobacco beetles) so perhaps this could have also raised the nicotine content?

I do agree with

My guess is that companies add nicotine, or genetically alter the crop to produce higher levels. This would obviously increase sales due to the increased "addictive power".

and find

they also breed plants to be resistant to pests (especially tobacco beetles) so perhaps this could have also raised the nicotine content?

intriguing, but as to the last comment and even in reference to mine earlier about the potential that climate changes could have caused this naturally, do we all believe that they knew about these increases?

I would have to say yes.

And I just looked back at my earlier post that showed the changes in different brands, and the fact that it wasn't uniform across the board means that they did something. The fact that they have testing that allows them to determine if something is a light or regular brand (100s, 200s, etc.) means that they do test their cigarettes for content levels and sell them as such. Thus they knew their content levels were going up, and they changed the definition of how much nicotine was contained in a Marlboro 100 vs a Marlboro 200.

Dirty, low down, no good, ...

The fact that they have testing that allows them to determine if something is a light or regular brand (100s, 200s, etc.) means that they do test their cigarettes for content levels and sell them as such. Thus they knew their content levels were going up, and they changed the definition of how much nicotine was contained in a Marlboro 100 vs a Marlboro 200.

There is no doubt they and the various government health units know how much is in what. I just hope they HAVE to put down what and how much of everything on the package. That would be far nicer than a picture of a dead person or black lung like they have on canadian cigarettes.

Selective breeding for pest resistance has been done for a while in many different plants. Its jsut good business. You want to see some weird stuff check out what Monsento (spelling???) has done to plants....

• 4 weeks later...