Science Forums

Make diamond out of your microwave!??!?!?!?!

Tim_Lou

i was surfing the internet, and i found something very interesting!!!!

take a look at this website below:

http://www.rangeguide.net/diamonds.htm

it tells you how to do an experiment to make diamond out of peanut butter!

the idea is to produce carbon out of peanut butter and use the carbon to form diamond...

well, i never tried it before... it will be pretty scary to microwave peanut butter for 60 mins!!!

if your too lazy to open a new website: there it is:

Making diamonds in the microwave / Joe Champion Recipe [Do not do this experiment without competent adult supervision!]:

STEP 1

Using a pyrex microwave cooking dish with lid, place two charcoal brickets covered with 4 ounces of peanut butter inside. Microwave on high for 60 minutes at 10 minute intercals.

STEP 2

When cool enough to handle, take the dish outdoors and place on top of an unlit barbque grill. Remove the lid form the dish and saturate the charcoal and residue with charcoal lighter fluid. Light the charcoal (Note: At this time the diamonds are made, this procedure is reducing the excess carbon to ash.)

STEP 3

At this time you should have a dish full of a gray/black soot. Carefully scrape this soot into a dark colored dish and gently wash. The ash will wash away leaving the diamonds you've produced.

If you decide to experiment with recipes other than the one above, do so with competent adult supervision and in extremely well ventilated areas or outdoors. Joe Champion has released the recipe above due to its safety and lack of possible toxicity in your kitchen

credit from http://www.rangeguide.net/diamonds.htm

a more "offical" way to make diamond.. (to "grow" a diamond seed actually):

website: http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/lectures/Diamondtalk/howtomakediamond.htm

if your interested, take a look.... it involves with plasma and such.... impossible for us to do.

• 2 months later...
hehe, tormod, are you gonna try this experiment?

its big bucks!

im little scared about microwaving peanut butter for 60 mins...

If you mean there could be lot's of money involved with selling the diamonds you've produced, they most likely are not very nicely shaped diamonds. If they are, chances are that any appraiser could detect that they aren't "real". I could be wrong so don't quote me on this.

hmmm... I dont think My GF will be too happy when she hears that i am nuking all the peanutbutter in the house... (i think I'll wait till im done to tell her what im making.) she'll probably give me a few hard smacks with a wooden spoon for wasting peanutbutter... but im sure once she sees those "diamonds" she'll make it up to me! lol :Alien: :Alien:

I imagine it takes large amounts of energy to produce diamond from carbon. The diamonds produce would be very tiny. would they be too small to see very well with the naked eye?

also i dont think you can sell artifically created diamonds. Isnt it easy to tell weather something is natural or artificial in the case of diamonds?

A frend of mine has a running bet with me that the 'diamonds' are really just proteine chains from the penut butter entrapping the carbon of the bricketts while lallowing the excited water molecules to heat them to a point they fuse. Doubtful that it'd create 'real' diamonds, but I've yet to go garage sale hunting for an old microwave I can set up to try it myself.

I've heard of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear but never diamonds out of peanut butter. This was worth a good bit of laughter, something that we might need a little more of around here. Just a note; I'm not disputing the possibility for such a reaction, just enjoying the novelness and humor in it.

• 1 month later...

hehehehe my friends here we go!

1st this is an gr8 marceting trick we got; all u can have after this "experiment" is need for new microwave ! and lot of smoke all over the house. graphit and diamond r same thing, bouth r carbon, and nothing else, no proteins... it is only another modification, same element but other structure of cristals... lot of that in nature, example is SiO2, it is sand, but also glass is made of SiO2...

what makes graphit a diamond is not only temperature, or microwave orbiting, u need high prassure!

thats why u have to dig in a dirt for those shinny beauties... best women's friend :naughty: as some say...

if u burn anithing organic that black thing that remains is carbon... but ofcourse not diamond!

pressure guys, pressure hehehehe

p.s. how much money they offered u to ditribute this story? maybe new microwave, Tim? hihihihi

houpe u r satisfied :hihi:

Quite right Freya, industrial manufacture of diamonds for utensil purpouses is usually accomplished with high pressure combined with temperature, the micro wouldn't do that for you.

Glass cutters for instance cost a lot less than an engagement ring and the little wheel isn't transparent but it's the allotropic form of diamond rather than that of graphite or what.

Hyp: I find a way of cheaply making jewel quality diamonds, indistinguishable from the best of South African mines and I publish the recipe on the Net,

Th: The market value of diamonds will crash to dirt ground. There'd be no "big buck" for the internaut who takes the bother of trying it.

Unless, of course, you currently have investments in diamonds. In this case, try the experiment immediately, so as to know whether you should re-invest before it's too late! :naughty:

While some may be confused by 'staniol' I'm sure you must mean tin-foil. Any metallic surface is a good reflector of microwaves. While some bits of tin-foil in and around the food are used by some cooks to get the distribution they want, you need to be careful not to totally prevent the waves being absorbed. This care is necessary to avoid the field becoming so strong that it could damage the appliance.