Science Forums

Is cooking a kind of chemical practice?

hallenrm

Today morning I was struck by an article in my newspaper, it was about the time it takes to hard boil an egg. Someone had raised this point in New Scientist a couple of decades ago, but nobody since then has been able to give an accurate physics chemical formula for the same. The reasons are not very difficult to imagine, the time taken would depend on a number of factors, for instance on the salinity of the water, the ambient temperature, the fame temperature etc. etc. to name just a few.

The question that arose in my mind is as follows, all chemistry students invariably do an experiment in chemical kinetics, and they do observe a predictable time period for a reaction, in fact often the experiments are related to clock reactions . The why this paradox.

Doesn't it indicate that science gives predictable results only when the conditions are simple, just like one body problems of physics. As soon as the system becomes multi variate it is of little help.

Cooking is a multivariate process. Although akin to chemical processes; whether it is really a chemical process, a student studies in a chemistry laboratory is debatable!

:) :)

Cooking is pure chemistry. But you can scare kids away from it by telling them that. My favorite cooking show is "Good Eats", hosted by Alton Brown. He dives into the science of cooking like a modern day Mister Wizard, while sticking to a dish or ingredient theme of some sort. Excellent viewing for the science curious.

Bill

I believe the converse of this is true also.

A chemical practice is kind of like cooking.

Procedures carried out in the lab are like following a recipe in a cookbook. Both have ingredients, and if treated according to the procedure, yield predictable results.:Alien:

I believe the converse of this is true also.

A chemical practice is kind of like cooking.

Procedures carried out in the lab are like following a recipe in a cookbook. Both have ingredients, and if treated according to the procedure, yield predictable results.:confused:

No, not all chemical processes are like cooking. The number of ingredients, the chemical substances present in the food being cooked invariably far exceed the number of substances involved in a chemical reaction being performed in a laboratory. Therefore the results of a cookery are not always as predictable as told in a cookbook, otherwise good chef's would not be so much valued.:confused:

Although, all chemical practices carried out in a chemistry laboratory, apparently look like cooking, they are much simpler then cooking. Remember, a cook has to keep in mind many intricate factors of the product in mind than a chemist. A chemist can do with less or more yield of the products, because the ultimate product has to undergo several steps of purification. A fine cook can seldom afford this luxury.

Although, all chemical practices carried out in a chemistry laboratory, apparently look like cooking, they are much simpler then cooking. Remember, a cook has to keep in mind many intricate factors of the product in mind than a chemist. A chemist can do with less or more yield of the products, because the ultimate product has to undergo several steps of purification. A fine cook can seldom afford this luxury.

A chemist can do with less or more yield of the products, because the ultimate product has to undergo several steps of purification. A fine cook can seldom afford this luxury.

Julia Childs comes to mind as a counter example to your characterization of fine cooks [sic]...er...fine chefs.:hyper: She in fact took this type of luxury all the time & emphasized in her teaching that exact amounts & ingredients don't make a fine meal. "And a little wine..." :hihi: