Science Forums

Human Frequencies

Queso

One day, I was talking to someone about synethesia. And once we realized that we both associated numbers with colors, we started sharing which colors we thought were what. Surprisingly, we agreed on most colors being a certain number and vice versa. I think there were only 2 or 3 number-color pairings that we thought differently of.

the rest of my post will be non scientific, just for the record.

Lately I've been studying mantras a bit. And I find it strange how they associate certain sounds you can make to certain objects/feelings and what not.

chanting certain sounds taps you into a certain bodies of existance. Like if you felt like "harmonizing" or "tuning in" with the sun, you would chant "RAAAAAAAAAAAA"

I'm also currently taking 3 music classes in college. With music, there are only 7 whole notes possible. Along with 5 "half" notes. I've been thinking a lot about frequencies. Energy. What makes a G note a G note?

What makes the color orange orange?

There are 3 prime colors on the color wheel. And there are 3 more basic colors. this makes 6 basic colors. This number is close to the number of whole notes possible in music. Slightly different, But is there a connection there? What if red is a C note? Can we prove it? Can we disprove it?

Our senses sense by picking up frequents. Frequents on different ranges. Are colors higher frequencies than sounds? Is touch the lowest frequency sense we have? And what about taste and smell?

this may not be of any help but i do know that bith musical notes and colors operate at certain, defined frequencies. thats why you can "play colors" on musical insturment.

that's exactly what I said, but I broke it down so that people who havn't really seen a relevant connection between color frequents and sound frequents would understand and not give me **** for posting a cloudy idea.

Maybe I should have clarified by bringing up the point of octaves.

This is for anyone who doesn't understand how musical frequents work:

In music, we use the notes "ABCDEFG"(A being the lowest note and G being the highest). Once we reach G, in order to acsend higher, we must start over at A again. "ABCDEFG-ABCDEFG". This represents two octaves. the A note in the second octave has frequents that frequent twice as often as the A note in the octave before it.

Keeping this in mind:

humans have limited hearing... we can only hear a certain frequency range. Something like 8- 10 octaves on average, I think.

But our ears aren't the only senses that percieve frequents in order to tell us about the world around us. All of our senses pick up different ranges of frequents.

What if we could follow the ABCDEFG notation all the way up to color frequents(which are MUCH MUCH faster than sound frequents)? Do you think it would still be relevant? I think it would.

So, I'm pretty sure that sounds and colors can operate on the same notation system. Someone just needs to somehow map out what colors equal what musical notes.

On top of that, there are other things on my mind:

I'm trying to apply relevance between colors and musical octaves.

Lets compare Pink and Red. Do you think that pink is just a higher octave version of red? pink is the same note as red... but on a much higher octave.

And brown and orange. Same note... just different octaves.

So, I'm not on a mission to map out the musical notations for colors. Figure out what colors frequent in harmony with certain musical notes.

I MUST HARMONIZE MY MUSIC AND MY COLORS.

I'm going insane!!!

almost, but not quite.

That link was a very closly related topic... it DID revolve around frequents and it did touch on colors and light. But it did not satisfy or answer my questions.

Have there been studies done to relate musical notes and their horminizing qualities to colors?

• 3 weeks later...

Western music is divided into 12 notes chromatically.

It is just easy for our brains to identify audible frequencies this way.

Indian music theory has 22 tones, allowing one more freedom

more chords

more notes.

I can not figure out why when we hear A @ 440 and A @ 880

they harmonize, and sound the same.

Such a mystery...harmonization...

Don't confine yourself to A-G

experiment, there is more.

Always more.

• 1 month later...