Science Forums

Black Holes in the Milky Way.

Harry Costas

Star Orbiting a Medium Sized Black Hole

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/nasa_doomed_blackhole.html

Our galaxy is filled with millions of stellar-mass black holes, each with the mass of a few suns. These form from the collapse of very massive stars. Most galaxies possess at their core a supermassive black hole, containing the mass of millions to billions of suns confined to a region no larger than our solar system. Scientists do not know how these form, but it likely entails the collapse of enormous quantities of primordial gas.

"In the past decade, several satellites have found evidence of a new class of black holes, which could be between 100 and 10,000 solar masses," said Dr. Jean Swank, Rossi Explorer project scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md. "There has been debate about the masses and how these black holes would form. Rossi has provided major new insight."

These suspected mid-mass black holes are called ultra-luminous X-ray objects because they are bright sources of X-rays. In fact, most of these black hole mass estimates have been based solely on a calculation of how strong a gravitational pull is needed to produce light of a given intensity.

With these millions of solar black holes going round imagine what will happen. they will clean up the place.

not really.. they act just like suns, their gravity would be the same as a sun of the same mass would it not. So a normal suns cleaning up power is the same. Also galaxies have massive amounts of space between all the stars, ie there is not much chance of collisions

True. I often think galaxies are much like the brains of creationists - mainly empty space. When the Andromeda galaxy and ours collide in about three billion years, though the effects will be huge their will be almost no collisions.

Harry, thank you for that information. I was unaware of this class of black hole till now.

Hello Jay

You said:

not really.. they act just like suns, their gravity would be the same as a sun of the same mass would it not. So a normal suns cleaning up power is the same. Also galaxies have massive amounts of space between all the stars, ie there is not much chance of collisions

What type of a statement is that?

I think you need more info.You have no idea of what is happening in our galaxy.

What type of a statement is that?

Jay-qu made a statement of fact. What was, in your opinion, in error in his statement? Are you stating that because a black hole is concentrated mass it will somehow act differently on other distant bodies than a star of the same mass? If so, please provide evidence for this. If not, what are you saying?

In line with this, perhaps you could share with us the information that will help us understand 'what is going on in our galaxy'.

I think someone else needs more info. Jay is a brilliant astrophysics student with honors. What field are you in, Harry?

Being a student doesn't mean he's correct, but he certainly has something we call credibility.

With these millions of solar black holes going round imagine what will happen. they will clean up the place.

Harry,

I think your confusion might be with the overabused metaphor of a "Black

Hole" being seen as a "Comic Vacuum Cleaner". Actually, as Jay-Qu implied,

from a far distance (like to other stars, or within a galaxy), you can

consider stars (and black holes) as point sources when working out

contributions of gravity. This cleaning effect would only be effective when

close to a black hole. Of course then the X-rays would likely kill you

beforehand.

maddog

Hello All

I know what a Black Hole is. It is degenerated amtter compacted so dense that light cannot even escape.

We notice the progress changes or steps with different core density of stars.

Low dansity 10^5 to 10^14

Neutron density 10^15

Quark density 10^18

Preon density (Theorectical) above 10^22

Black holes with subatomic particals smaller then preons.

A black hole is not a vacuum as so to speak. But it will dominate its surrounding over stars with the same mass. If the where near each other the large star would be broken apart by the ultra dense matter of the so called Black Hole.

A black hole is not a vacuum as so to speak. But it will dominate its surrounding over stars with the same mass. If the where near each other the large star would be broken apart by the ultra dense matter of the so called Black Hole.

This is where you are mistaken, they will have the same effect of the surroundings as a star of the same mass. Newtonian calculations already treat objects as point particles, its GR shows it is different. But for distances far away from the object it makes no difference.

Indeed the discrepancy between the Schwarzschild solution and GM/r is relevant only at radii comparable with the Schwarzschild radius.

Harry, nobody spoke of a black hole as being a vacuum, the fallacy is that of a "cosmic vacuum cleaner" as if it would suck in everything in the whole neighborhood. It simply has a gravitational attraction, dependent on M, which is inescapable as you get near the Schwarzschild radius.