Science Forums

Zero mass force

sciman55

Why can't an object with zero mass exert force? What is needed to exert forces (Kinetic energy, Momentum, or something else)? And if a zero mass can't exert force, what would be an alternative physical quanity that can be used to exert force?

Do not get me wrong; I know about the speed of light; it has no rest mass but mass by virtue of its motion. Please don't mention light.

Let me question your original premise... why do you believe an object of zero mass cannot exert force?

Because I have heard that many times and I know that if zero mass times finite acceleration; it will equal zero force required to move the mass (and/or exert no

force).

Why; is something wrong with my original premise?

perhaps you are thinking about the classical F=ma

but in reality, the more fundamental equation is:

[math]\vec{F}=\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}[/math]

and the thing is, according to relativity, an object with zero mass can have a non-zero momentum, since:

[math]E^2=(mc^2)+(pc)^2[/math]

if m is zero and E is non-zero, p must be non-zero.

hence, the acceleration needs not be "infinite" when a "massless" particle is being "accelerated".

Shine a strong beam of light (oohps!) onto a surface, either opaque or reflecting but not transparent. If the beam is at right angles to a perfectly reflecting mirror, the force will be double than for a matt black surface.