Science Forums

Empaths

Turtle

this little study seems to indicate autists lack empathy?

Just as with any Bell curve, there will be outliers... The basic idea is the autists (nice word :Guns: ) tend to have difficulty filtering the noise of their environment. It's not that they are cut off from the world, but they cannot cut off from the world, and all of the stimulus causes overload in their system (generally speaking of course). The theory suggests that the austists have such difficulty understanding their own world that there is no way they could understand the world of another (i.e. empathaize, relate, etc.). However, much of this perspective seems grounded in speculation.

247 toothpicks, yeah...

Just as with any Bell curve, there will be outliers... The basic idea is the autists (nice word ;) ) tend to have difficulty filtering the noise of their environment. It's not that they are cut off from the world, but they cannot cut off from the world, and all of the stimulus causes overload in their system (generally speaking of course). The theory suggests that the austists have such difficulty understanding their own world that there is no way they could understand the world of another (i.e. empathaize, relate, etc.). However, much of this perspective seems grounded in speculation.

247 toothpicks, yeah...

304 of anything, mmmmmmm......:estrange:

As to the word 'autist', credit where credit is due; I stole it (borrowed?:hyper: ) it from dear UncleAl. 304....mmmmmmm.....:Guns:

The speculation aside, the incurability of the disorder appears well grounded. Not that I hold any hope of it. :shrug: As it is, much of the investigation centers around children and not adults anyway and my anxiety outways my curiosity to have a peek inside my cranium. Let's just say my corpus callosum is Möbious.:ud: