Science Forums

Empaths

Turtle

Troy was the empath. She was a member of a race introduced for TNG. Bajorans I think they were called. Vulcans repress their own emotions, but can use a mind meld to experience the thoughts and feelings of another being, which is indeed being an empath. Spock used this a number of times, most notably when he mind melded with the mineral creature that laid eggs every 10,000 years and was terrorizing a mining colony. And again when he transfered his spirit into McCoy for safe transport between movies 2 and 3.

Bill

I managed to miss this until INow mentioned it. I have assumed the submissive dog postures. :)

INow said in regard to your data:

Funny how Troy's mother always got under her skin. One would think that the mother would somehow be impacted by her own negativity, you know, with her being an empath an all...

This brings up an interesting point I never considered, i.e. the consequence of interaction between or among empaths. Fascinating....:) {insert Spockicon here}

Being an empath is firstly a soul lesson .. and is a form of what we class as metahysics .. Emapths connect with someone or something .. the ability to connect is dependant upon the energy levels of the empath ..

An empath is able to connect with plants .. animals .. actually .. anything including the universe itself ..

It is almost a form of remote viewing .. an empath can read emotions and thoughts through a vibrational frequency ..

The universe itself is abundant with energy that anyone can tap into at anytime .. anywhere .. it is not designated to certain people ..

We all have certain degrees of empathic abilities .. We all have the ability to adjust our emotional bodies with that of someone we are close to .. especially if there is a emotional connection .. all it takes is just one thought .. as thought is a matter of energy ..

This does not have to be a romantic connection. Whether you live with someone or just love them .. you can align your emotional body with theirs and feel their pain or love .. The pain can be physical or emotional or both ..

Kinda like identical twins have this ability .. there are degrees of empathic abilities which vary from person to person ..

Empaths are always sensitive people .. just like me ..

Regards Ashley

The issue though Ashley is the terms so often used to describe it are themselves undefined... hence the general lack of acceptance from those asking for evidence or support, and why such concepts are so often castigated to the realm of gobbledy gook (that's the scientific term btw... :hihi: )

For example, in your post alone, the following concepts were presented, and I think most of us would be hard pressed to adequately define these:

soul

energy levels

connect

vibrational frequency

emotional bodies

love...

The universe itself is abundant with energy that anyone can tap into at anytime .. anywhere .. it is not designated to certain people ..

...and here the issue is that you present the argument from the standpoint of being somehow separate from the universe, which itself is nonsensical.

It's time for some new ideas, because while the poetry and rhetoric of it all is beautiful and inspiring, the understanding is lacking. I am also here referring to my post above proposing new terms. I have confidence that there is something to this all, and also am confident that it can be measured, predictions made, and understanding shared.

How about conscious colocation? ... :confused:

Sorry, but I've been out of the loop for a while. Here goes nothing.

When I said it was "fun" living with the local Vulcan, I was referring to TBG, he is so even-tempered and logical. If it isn't logical, then it simply doesn't exist: he doesn't really believe in most of this sort of thing. Our perspectives are from completely opposite directions.

Jay-qu: Narcissism is the polar opposite of empathy. Empaths feel the emotions/pain in those around them, while Narcissists beleive that everyone feels their emotions and pain. The belief that the world revolves around you is blatantly narcissistic.

Shannon

I want to offer some new terminology for consideration and feedback. …

Thoughts or firebombs for any of these?

I’m up for some free-association!
  1. Limbic entanglement – Unlikely. Might occur with conjoined twins. Might be possible for organism with synapse exposed to their environment (eg: some sort of shark or ray?) that press up close together.
  2. Emotional non-locality – In the quantum physical sense, can’t communicate information. In a social sense, common – many people experiencing a widely communicated event (eg: TV) share similar emotions at the same time.
  3. Neurosynaptic action at a distance – For distances greater than about .0000001 m, doesn’t happen – except possibly see #1 above.
  4. Psi conscious collapse – Best current theories and evidence indicate Psi collapse (renormalization) occurs whether observed by a system commonly called “conscious” (eg: a human being) or not. If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, it does make a sound.
  5. Spacetime cognition – Obviously occurs. We exist in spacetime. We cogitate. Therefore spacetime cogitates.

… Narcissism is the polar opposite of empathy. Empaths feel the emotions/pain in those around them, while Narcissists beleive that everyone feels their emotions and pain. …
I find interesting the parallel between the Narcissism – Empathy continuum that’s being discussed in this thread, and one of gestalt therapist Fritz Perls’s personality continuums, “Criminal” – “Neurotic”.

In Perls’s scheme, there are 2 extremes in personality, defined by an individual’s perception of who is in control (some later psychologists called this the “locus of control”). “Criminal” personalities (who may not be criminals in any legal sense) believe that they are not responsible for their own actions – the outside world, including all of the people in it, are. “Neurotic” personalities (who may not be neurotic in a psychiatric sense) believe that they are responsible for the outside world, and all of the people in it.

I know of what you speak Craig, though I had it explained to me in slightly different words.

The meaning I had for narcissism is very different from what I now have come to know it as. Im not sure how the cross over arrised, but in the book 'the road less travelled' by M Scott Peck, A Narcissist is defined in a similar way to empath, but with differences I outlined earlier in the thread.

Sorry, but I've been out of the loop for a while. Here goes nothing.

When I said it was "fun" living with the local Vulcan, I was referring to TBG, he is so even-tempered and logical.

Roger; copy that.;)

If it isn't logical, then it simply doesn't exist: he doesn't really believe in most of this sort of thing. Our perspectives are from completely opposite directions.

Shannon

I went out of the loop myself & missed your post.;) When one is on a circle, completely opposite directions bring things together.:eek: I take the view most of these sorts of things do have logical explanations, but like all good explanations it takes time to find them. Science is always ammendable.:doh:

• 2 weeks later...
You could put an empath in a room with a specific amount of people for a given amount of time. then have everyone leave, and have the empath descrbe how each one of them felt, and the overall vibe of the room.

And maybe have those people who are in the room fill out some sort of survey while they're there for a point of comparison?

And maybe have those people who are in the room fill out some sort of survey while they're there for a point of comparison?

The problem here is when the people lie on the questionaire, which they will do to hide some embarrassment or other. You could polygraph them, but that's not reliable either. In cases where the empath's assessment differs from the claims of a subject, there is no reliable way to resolve the conundrum.

I do like the idea of making a suitable experiment, but I think the odds are against us without some major equipment. We need a half dozen MRI machines with everyone strapped in at once maybe?:eek: :ip: :hyper: Maybe just wearing helmets with sensor arrays feeding the signal to a CPU? :shrug: When we detect a lie, we can shock them. :) Then I....er...the empath can try & tell how they liked that shock.:hihi:

Sorry, I detected a jovial spirit & just went with it.:D

What if you went in the room yourself when you where in various moods, there may be a 'conflict of interest' when it comes to hard scientific results, as some my accuse you of doctoring your results to get what you want, but at least you will know your not lying.

I agree. Hard scientific results in this realm are, well...hard to come by. A person might have an agreable mood, be trying to hide it, then go in the room & have an emotional response triggered by any number of things like odors, colors, hairstyles, etc. Bang, all of sudden you're sad or mad. This only confounds the experiment more because it is after all about empaths detecting and/or reflecting the moods of others. Whose mood is it anyway!????:) :hyper:

We will need to requisition sensor helmets for everyone, a period of a year to conduct the experiment, a super computer, & pizza. :ip: :shrug: