Science Forums

What ifs.... of x-men

cockydude

What if in like a 100 years time there is drastic changes in our genes (due to mutagens like radiation from almost everywhere, cellphones, coms ect ect.) and people are mutated so drastically that some of us actually turn into these mutants as show in X-men.

I don't know if its plausible but i think its slightly possible.

so what will happen both socially and scientifically to these "superhumans" in real life.

any thoughts?

This question reminds me of a physicist here in Minnesota named James Kakalios. He wrote a great book called the physics of superheros. He deals with many questions like this.

In my own estimation I can't imagine a situation where we would notice any big mutations in a life span. I feel like it will be so gradual as to be only noticed over generations.

I am not sure about super hero capability, but there are many untapped areas of human potential. Even these may be slow to develop because of the social implications. It may be like putting a child behind the wheel of a fast sportcar. He may not have the self control needed to prevent injury to himself and others.

For example, if one could process data in their brain faster than a computer, they would more likely end up in Las Vegas instead of NASA, hounded by the mafia instead of G-men.

I think it is more likely that some doremant genes may reemerge. So we would have a people covered in thick fur like that family in Mexico that shows up on Discover every year, or with little tails, ot some other old thing that shows up once in a while.

But even that is damn near impossible.

Bill

I think it is more likely that some doremant genes may reemerge. So we would have a people covered in thick fur like that family in Mexico that shows up on Discover every year, or with little tails, ot some other old thing that shows up once in a while.

Yeah.

Those little "hobbit" people that live (and did live) on some island in the South Pacific are just about as "unique" as humans can get.

Mutant[ism?] is just impossible. Simply impossible.

What's near impossible, the re-emerging of the dormant genes or their existence?

Both... in my opinion.

First of all, I do not believe there are any dormant genes that would cause susch drastic characteristics to appear. They simply don't exist.

Secondly, the re-emergence would be near impossible. THe only way that they could re-emerge is through some intense outside stimuli such as radiation. This alone would kill the person through other genetic mutations.

Oh nono, MB, sometimes some genes are left unused in organisms.

Due to some reasons such as a perfect coincidence involving several other recessive gene pairs, this gene may just be brought into action after a long time.

It's not nessecary that a dormant gene has to be so on the molecular deal.