Science Forums

Mp3

Aki

I don't think people were afraid of exploding batteries. The problem was that batteries dies and people had to send their ipods back for service which took weeks and weeks. So Apple surprised a lot of people by an extreme lack of customer care. I think that's what is meant by "unreliable" in this context.

no no absolutely not, those exploding batteries was the problem with some LG cell phones. I just used it as an example. I'm waiting for a reply from Aki though concerning why he thinks that Apple=unreliable...

I don't understand why you would need 20GB of music to carry with you

actually for $400 dollars you can buy a 40 Gig Ipod that is a touch bigger than the 20 gig one...

you can have up to 10000 songs with you at all times, but you can take your music anywhere. You can upload all your favorite albums, and quiet a lot of albums of the music that you like to listen to, and not haave to warry about listening to the same song in, well lets calculate, if you listen music for 12 hours straight with an average length of each song of 3.5 minutes you will listen to about 207 songs each day, now 10000/207 = 48 days 7hours and 25 minutes of never repeating music, beats any radio station and MTV and no commercials or interruptions. For a 20 gig model its about 25 days...

Originally posted by: alexander

I'm waiting for a reply from Aki though concerning why he thinks that Apple=unreliable...

First off, I'm a "she", and not a "he". But it's okay, I don't mind...

Well I said unreliable because a while ago, I was reading many articles on slashdot.org about all the problems that iPod had. I don't remember exactly what they were, but I can always look up on that.

Microsoft is unreliable

very true as well

First off, I'm a "she", and not a "he". But it's okay, I don't mind...

Sorry, I thought about it yesterday after posting, and figured, whats on there is on there, i guess i could change it but i appologise instead.

Well I said unreliable because a while ago, I was reading many articles on slashdot.org about all the problems that iPod had. I don't remember exactly what they were, but I can always look up on that.

Yes, older iPods used to have problems, but they are corrected now. Frankly the only reason i can think of not bying iPod is because you have to use iTunes... I know a guy that was developing a PHP based interface to iTunes and just as he got his bynary translator working (and iTunes returns requests in binary), a new version of itunes that came out required some sort of a key to be sent with each transmission, otherwise it will not return anything, and noone can figure out the key...

By the way, I am not saying "buy iPod", i'm just defending Apples reputation, and iPods are pretty good, but not everyone has to have an iPod...

Originally posted by: Aki

well I saw some mp3 that does voice recording too, and I'm looking into those ones because I'll be going to university next year, and I need something to record the lectures. but I'm not sure about the quality of the recordings...

I have a remote control on my Creative Jukebox 3 which lets me do voice recording. Sound quality is okay for speech, and if you can live with, say, 64kps bit rate you get a LOT of recording time with a couple of hundred megabytes of storage. I use it for basic sampling "in the field" for my music stuff, which requires rather heavy bit rates (like 256 or 384 kps) so that gobbles up space really fast and is best done with a harddisk based player.

BUT sadly the build quality of the thing is on the wrong side of "bad" so it's close to broken now.

I've got the most versital one around for her

Kyocera 7135 smartphone

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/7135-smartphone/pdf/7135_product_brochure.pdf

It is a full Palm Color computer w/ full web browser, CDMA2000 1X technology cell phone w/spr phone, MP3 player, GPS, Voice recorder, Alarm Clock, Calculator, Media player (.jpg, .bmp, .tif, .png, .mov, .avi, .aud, .wmf formats), IR controller, Takes both SD and MMC expansion cards.

(edit) Oh ya, it's smaller than an ipod.

Hey, alexander, I really like that one you're showing me. The price doesn't look too bad I guess, but I certainly like the features and the "look"

Well I'm now I'm looking at viFP-195T, the one that does the voice recording... what I don't like about that one is that it only supports USB 1.1 and not 2.0, but does that really matter anyways?