Science Forums

Mp3

Aki

I'm not sure about your level of knowledge. Perhaps you know more than me. What I know is that there are two main types of mp3 players:

1. Flash drive based. This is the type i'm using now. They exist in 128 mb, 256 mb and 512mb (in Malaysia), but you never know in Japan (btw,are you japanese? you're nick hints at that), where gadgets get a bit out of the world. they have voice recorders, a small backlit lcd screen.

pros: small size, lightweight, cheap (there are many generic ones if you search online - very cheap, works fine; the branded ones can go quite expensive), not prone to damages (if you drop it while standing, it will hardly have a scratch). and you can just plug it into a usb port to transfer files.

cons: small storage space, no built-in radio (some have though)

2. Harddisk based. These ones have huge storage space. There are hardly any generic ones, most, if not all, come from major brands like Apple, Creative, iRiver, Aiwa. They have better programs and lcd screens.

There are two types.

a. micro drive type. example is the Creative Muvo and iPod Mini. very popular. Lets you store about 4gb. smaller in size

b. notebook harddisk type. example is iPod and Creative Zen. can store about 20gb, some even up to 60gb.

pros: huge storage space to store your whole mp3 songs, has one or two more functions than the flash drive-based ones, better audio quality.

cons: price is about two or three times higher than flash drive-based ones. very bulky (especially the notebook harddisk type), heavy. need to bring a USB cable to transfer files to player. very easily damaged due to the weight and the harddisk(contains moveable parts) inside.

verdict: go for the flash drive if you just want to listen to some songs. Mine, which is 512mb, is more than enough for me.The generic ones are about half or 2/3 the price of the branded ones. I dont think you'll need 5gb to store songs, never mind 60gb!

Good luck, Aki

I have an old Creative Jukebox 3 which has a 20gig harddrive - but it is from the days before they got the mini drives. So it's quite big and heavy but in the two years I've owned it I only filled it up about halfways.

I think that if I were buying today I'd go for a flash one like Tinny says - but get the biggest you can (RAM-wise, of course, not physical size). Make sure it has a USB2 connection because then you can keep playlists on your computer and upload things really fast.

One issue is Digital Permissions. Not having one, or knowing anyone specifically that has one, I understand that the Ipod requires you to purchase the source materials from a single source, theirs. That unlike a basic memory storage device based MP3 player, you can not just take MP3's you have and load them on it? Is this correct? And the same seems to be the case with some of the competetors?

In trying to get an answer on this in Googleing, I ran across an interesting site. Seems that the battery on the ipod is nonreplaceable and has only a 12 month warrantee> And that after that time period it is less expensive to buy a new one than get Apple to repair the old one by replacing tha battery.

iPod's Dirty Secret

http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

Now, on the issue of MP3s. The sound quality of an MP3 is barely usable. It is OK for playback on some cheap PC speakers or in a nosey environment such as in a car. But who can stand listening to it on a good sound system? The same would seem true on a GOOD set of headphones when you are doing serious listening. The compression algorythm is intentionally lossey in order to reduce file size. If sufficient memory is available, why put up with poor sound?

Actually, there are a number of solutions out there which will let you use ipod for any mp3. The service thing is a much worse wart on Apple's nose imho.

As for MP3 quality, I listen to everything at 160 kps which is perfect for me - I hear no difference with headphones. 128 kps is not enough, though - which is the only compression level you get from the Apple music store!

Originally posted by: Tormod

As for MP3 quality, I listen to everything at 160 kps which is perfect for me - I hear no difference with headphones. 128 kps is not enough, though - which is the only compression level you get from the Apple music store!

When I d/l MP3s (Mainly WinMX) I won't accept less than 224. I find 160 almost unlistenable unless it is just for some song I want just for kicks. And as mentioned, if I am listening to my sound system MP3s are only used for background noise while working on something else or to practice a song. Never for listening.

But then I am a "groove head" (vinyl) affectionado.

Originally posted by: TINNY

(btw,are you japanese? you're nick hints at that),

no, I"m not japanese. Many people think I"m japanese from my nick, lol, so you're not the first. Once I had somebody tell me that "Aki" means "nut" in brazilian.

btw I'm from Canada.

I think the unreliable part was the battery incident with the ipods. Apart from that Apple has a very good track record for me - the first thing that broke was the Microsoft mouse that I use in place of the insanely antiquidated one-button mouse.

I'd go for an ipod myself if I had the cash.

I know what you mean, I'd like one too if i had the money.

I remember reading something about that battery thing, but you have to realize that many things have battery issues, there were deadly incidents with people's cellphone batteries exploding I believe it was LG phones, but that doesnt mean that they are not reliable and noone should buy them does it? (and i truly believe that exploding batteries was not the issue with ipods...)

I don't think people were afraid of exploding batteries. The problem was that batteries dies and people had to send their ipods back for service which took weeks and weeks. So Apple surprised a lot of people by an extreme lack of customer care. I think that's what is meant by "unreliable" in this context.