Science Forums

Freeze! Get your hands up! You have the right to remain silent!

IrishEyes

This topic is a direct result of reading through the last 25 posts in the Globalization thread. The topic seemed to have strayed, as topics often do...and it just got me thinking.

Some people complain that the United States doesn't do enough to make the world a 'better place'. Some people feel that it is the moral obligation of every country to ensure that other countries run smoothly. Still others feel that each country should only be responsible for themselves, and stay the heck out of other countries business.

How do each of you feel about this? I think it would be very beneficial to the people that read the responses in this thread if each person that responds will tell what country they are from, and if they have ever lived in another country or not.

Thanks to all of you and I look forward to reading your feelings on this subject

When it comes to sticking our noses into other peoples business, and start shouting orders...well...thats a little...rude and wrong. It sounds nice to say, "lets make the world a better place and run this country over here." I think if other countries need help then we should be there, adn be able to lend a hand when ever is needed. Allies are much stronger than standing alone in the world. There are so many options in help other countries, but are we obligated to? NOT AT ALL! If someone wants to run their country into the ground, good for them, but at teh same time no one should walk in and take over.

OP5

(Vicksburg, Michigan, United States, North America, The Northern Hemisphere, The Earth, The Solar System, The universe, The mind of God)

i believe that no one would help another without a benefit... without a reason...

for example, i help you, i feel good... there is some benefit for me to help you...

do you think the United States is helping other country just for happiness? NO!

so "stay the heck out of other countries business!!!!"

if its simply for a "good feeling", stay the heck out too! b/c no one is really happy about messing with other country's businesses.

Thanks OP5 and Tim. your responses are both very interesting. i think it's also interesting to note that you are two of the younger regular members of the Forum, and your attitudes seem very similar. Of course, Tim seems a little more forceful in his response. That could be due to his background, right? He isn't from the US so he has a different perspective on how we are viewed. And for some reason, i thought OP5 was from California. Now I'll have to trade that surfboard for a snowboard in my mental picture, huh?

First things first. I'm from Malaysia. Lived in Illinois the first two years of my life. I'm apolitical and I haven't read the globalization thread.

Not every country is gifted with the same amount of resources, market size, population etc, therefore need to rely on help from other countries.

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

Some people complain that the United States doesn't do enough to make the world a 'better place'.

Are you talking about pre-emptive wars? Do they have to be increased to make the world a better place? Well, the US has the strongest economy. They do have the money to provide financial aid, and they stand to make a profit from the Iraq invasion through reconstruction projects, cheaper oil and control in the Middle East. They do give aid, although not in the best of ways in my opinion (Israel). They are the most influential country in the world, economically, socially, and politically. Whatever they do will make a pervasive impact on the world. Damn... where am I getting at?

Anyway, the topic isn't very clear to me. What do you mean by Still others feel that each country should only be responsible for themselves, and stay the heck out of other countries business.. Does it mean not to trade with other countries and be self reliant? Then, how can the poor coutries grow and compete?

Ahh! Just trying to increase my post count. Ignore this gibberish.

Originally posted by: Tim_Lou

what i feel about US is sort of like a "country of everyone"

no one is really the "American".

off topic......:

Maybe, but if you are out, nowadays there is almost no way to get in.So it would be better if you say it has been the country of everyone.

switzerland, lived a year in Australia.

Who are we to decidede what is a better place? WHat is better for me hasn't to be better for you. So I would say that a country can decide to help another or not to help only when the country asks for help. The question arises what should have been done if the majority of the iraki people asked to be debarassed from Saddam? Should this war been made or not? Was war the only solution to help the majority of the iraki people to get rid of saddam?

I would say No and yes: No there wouldn't have been the need to start a war and yes there were other solutions (better than the embargo, a stupid example giving saddam all the money he wanted so that he could live as a pharaon asking in exchange a passage to a democratic system).

This shows also another point, when a country A decides to help country B after B asked for help, it should be B that decides what kind of help they want and not A that imposes a kind (like the world bank and the WMF like so much to do).

Some people complain that the United States doesn't do enough to make the world a 'better place'. Some people feel that it is the moral obligation of every country to ensure that other countries run smoothly. Still others feel that each country should only be responsible for themselves, and stay the heck out of other countries business.

How do each of you feel about this? I think it would be very beneficial to the people that read the responses in this thread if each person that responds will tell what country they are from, and if they have ever lived in another country or not.

I hope that answers your question, Freethinker.

Whether you believe that we all came from the same infintessimally small (ever so slowly evolving) blob of biological tissiue; or that we were placed here by an infinate God, we must still all be related somehow.

Would you turn yur back on you're brother or sister or wife or husband or son or daughter if they were in need? (and you had the resources to help).

But if they didn't want your help it would be diffiult to give.

Actually we were talking about policing the world wern't we.

I don't mind policing if it will keep my own backyard free from terrorits in the near future,.......

But keep the world police out of my backyard!

I think the question may be "where do we go from here?" How will the world and our civilisation progress?

I lean heavily towards the capitalist direction as i continually fail to see the gloom that others see. But we wont mention that more than i already have done and i'm looking forward to some of the other answers.

Originally posted by: BEAKER

Would you turn yur back on you're brother or sister or wife or husband or son or daughter if they were in need? (and you had the resources to help).

the issue is that who is the one that needs help?

what i mean is that we are competitive, and we have the tendency to act competively.

so, 2 choices, either help the others, and "allianceize" the others and compete together. or either compete with the "others"....

if we help everybody else in the world, it is going to cause problem.

United States would no longer have the low cost labors from other country, and no advantage over buyin their cheap products...

I mean, think about it, how is the world gonna be equal?

if everyone is equal, how are some individuals able to have advantage and be "rich" or "powerful"?

i admit that it is very jealous saying these... but thats the truth, isnt it?

Originally posted by: BEAKER

You would if you followed Christinaity or Islam and actually did what thier sources of Revelation require.

Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

to the extent of not just not helping them, but to actually killing them.

Luke 19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

And the Koran echos:

Repentance 9:123: "Believers, make war on the infidels who dwell around you."

Repentance 9:4-6 "Proclaim a woeful punishment to the unbelievers...When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them.

It is only SECULAR morals and ethics that hold back the slaughter Religions promote.

As such, the only way the world will ever be at peace is to drop antiquated superstitions like Christianity and Islam.