Science Forums

Somnambulism

Racoon

Sleepwalking.

I was reading a funny comic when this became a theme... Sleepwalking or the fancy word Somnambulism.

So, I looked it up, and found it more common in younger children. Which reassured me of the few times I sleptwalked(?).

One time Grandma had made a pan of brownies just the evening before, and to her amazement they were gone in the morning. "I didn't eat them", sure of my innocence...but there were crumbs all over my bed. :phones:

I sleptate them...and had 0 recollection. :D

Sleepwalking seems to be strange behavior. And some people have some crazy stories.

Do you have any experiences or stories? Know someone who does?

Its all pretty fascinating.

Here is a nice exerpt, and the link to which more information can be found:

http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic638.htm

Background: Somnambulism (ie, sleepwalking) is a disorder of arousal that falls under the parasomnia group. Parasomnias are undesirable motor, verbal, or experiential events that occur during sleep. These phenomena occur as primary sleep events or secondary to systemic disease. They are categorized as those occurring in rapid eye movement (REM) sleep; those occurring during non–rapid eye movement (NREM) sleep; and miscellaneous types that do not relate to any specific sleep state.

Pathophysiology: The parasomnias have been thought to represent not pathologic cerebral functioning but rather a response to CNS activation that results in sleep-wake or REM-NREM state confusion or overlap. Recent studies, however, demonstrate differences between sleep patterns and neuronal sleep control mechanisms in individuals with parasomnias compared with those without. Normal sleep involves a cycling throughout the night between wakefulness, REM, and NREM states. The CNS remains active during all sleep-wake states, although rapid changes are required in neural networks, rhythms, and neurotransmitters with state changes. The length of each cycle averages 50 minutes for a full-term newborn, increasing to approximately 90 minutes by adolescence.

I think this falls under the biology catagory, if not move it to the respectible sub forum.

I believe last night I fell "victim" to this "phenoninom."

Home alone, sleeping blissfully. I know I'm home alone, I know no one that I know is coming in. I know my dog is right there sleeping on the foot of my bed. I know my door is shut.

Fast forward to when I wake up.

I see no dog, I see my door cracked open. Okay, someone was here. Find my dog relaxing outside, like nothing strange had happened. It could of possibly been my sister. She works nights and might of stopped by for something, heard my dog barking in my room, then let my dog outside.

Recieved a call from my sister and I brought up the subject. Explained to her what had happened and now I just look plain ol' crazy. Probable case of the sleepwalking. I just wish I would of done some sleepcleaning.

I'm actually interested in hearing some similar stories. I know of vivid dreams, is there such thing as vivid sleepwalking? I could use an extra hour of unconscious chores and/or exercise.

Closed duplicate thread and moved DarkColoredLight's post here.

OH WOW. When I was a little kid, I used to sleep-walk all the time! I'd also talk and sing --according to my parents.

HHAHAHAA.

I used to walk into my parents bedroom, shake them awake, and start talking to them in a seemingly nonsensical fashion.

Apparently I used real words and gramatical structures, but what I was saying had no relevance to anyone/anything except for my "dream mind".

I would wake up in the morning and would have no recollection of what had happened the previous night.

My parents would tell me what happened, and we would all share a good laugh over breakfast. :D

I only remember hearing one story about sleepwalking. That was one of my freinds brothers "awoke" and started playing a video game. I guess he kicked that video games *** when he played it. Getting farther than my freind had ever seen him get before.

Interesting.

As for sleeptalking, I've witness my cousin sleeptalk one night. Just random babbling then he "went" back to sleep.

Funny.

I guess he kicked that video games *** when he played it. Getting farther than my freind had ever seen him get before.

Interesting.

I've heard similar stories. It seems that when sleeping, you are not really trying to perform a task, so in a way, it seems that your brain can actually "focus" more... (I doubt that made sense)

But I have heard of people making breakfast while sleeping, and they did not burn the house down.:eek_big: It seems that people can perform relatively complex tasks while sleepwalking, without risking putting themselves in danger. VERY INTERESTING.

I used to have sleep walking associated with REM when I was 9-12. It only was associated with viral fevers.

During those times, I'd go to sleep in bed and normally wake up outside the house.

At times, my temperature would go up to 108F and I'd start flailing and jumping around, doing wierd things like picking up a compass and stabbing by books with it.

The worst used to come when I was semi-consious in those times, it felt like hopelessness in hell does, as though you are stuck inside a wall.

That feeling, as I realise now, gives rise to that old and bloody supertitious nonsense about the basic concept of getting posessed.

I experience on average about three to four episodes of dream confusion, as it's the only thing I can think of to call it.

It is known in my family that I have three modes when it comes to sleeping. Sleeping, Awake, and REM trance. REM trance apparently can fool just about anyone into believing I am awake, except me. I know the difference.

I have each week a few times where one of my family members will meaingfully interact with me, tell me to do chores, give me tasks for the day, tell me about something they heard about, discuss said topic, and some others, however I will awaken much later usually and will have near zero recollection of the content of the event. I know it happened, but it is dream like and has a tendency to slip away rather quickly.

Other times I will dream and awaken and for the rest of the day I have to work on sorting out weather or not it was a dream or a memory.

I don't often move around when in REM trance. Sometimes I will relocate, usually to a more comfortable area. it's startled me a few times to wake up across the house.