Science Forums

Coherence

sanctus

I personally maintain that there is no reason whatsoever, to drop a nuclear bomb. There never arises a situation in which such a creature is good for anyone, when used on a nearly closed, organic rich, enivroment. If ever a huge comet or asteroid threatens us or similar, then it may become nessessary to deploy nuclear weaponary, but never when used against living beings. It is simply over kill, and is in-humane. It toxifies the local enviroment and has unknown effects on the atmosphere.

The nuke is to terrible a weapon to ever be weilded against fellow living creatures for any reason. It is the epitome of terror tactics and is the epitome of Terrorism. It is admitted that the nuke was used twice to scare the Japanese people into compliance, that is the hallmark of a totalitarian dictator, one whom strives to control the passions of man, and thereby control the one's self.

An Eye for an Eye makes the whole world blind.
If you should be stricken upon your left cheek then turn forth and offer up your right cheek also. Should you be sued for your shirt, then offer up your cloak also. Should one ask you to walk a mile another's shoes, then walk two.
Oppression anywhere is oppression everywhere.
The yoke a man creates for himself by wrong-doing will breed hate in the kindliest nature . . .
"Do not do an immoral thing for moral reasons!"
The path to hell is paved in good intentions.

Well, KAC, I consider continuing this pretty much pointless. From your posts it appears you try to maintain a moral stance of strict pacifism. For that you have my utmost respect and admiration.

I would say that your assertion that "the nuke was used twice to scare the Japanese people into compliance," is not wholly incorrect, but largely misses the point I was trying to make.

In any case, props for having a "coherent" viewpoint. I don't think it's a very pragmatic one, but then, a pragmatic outlook never really changed the world did it?

TFS

Hey, man, I never said Revolution or change were easy or pretty. It takes some pretty righteous people to change the world. However it starts with one person. You.

I am not saying that the nukes did not achieve the end they were ment for, however I am saying that we "cured" the world war. Our duty was in the prevention in the first place. It was apathy of the time and intolerance and misunderstanding and many other things that created the enviroment that WWI and WWII broke out from.

By the time we (as in the world) got to the war stage. We had already failed in our moral duties. I find it painful to think that today we (as in the USA) are still failing in our moral duties, not just to the world as a whole, but to our own people.

It a moral people's duty to:

Feed the hungery

Clothe the poor

Prevent Sickness

Treat and Cure the Sick

Provide Homes to the homeless

Bring Justice to the Unjust

To leave no man, woman, or child behind

We are all children of the one and we are all tenders of the garden, when we fail to help others we fail to help ourselves, and we fail in our duty to the garden that we tend.

I wouldn't concider myself a pascifist, as I seek to avoid violence, if one brings themselves to harm another and/or seeks to oppress the freedoms of another then they themselves therefore forfeit the very right they are oppressing.

Extreame circumstance. However Nukes are not something to trifle with, they are dangerous in ways that we don't even fully comprehend. You shoot a rifle, and it kills a man. You drop a bomb and it cracks the ground. You drop a nuke it Irradiates, Incinerates and concussively cracks the the locality, it ionizes the atmosphere, deals out a great ammount of radiation across the spectrum, and tosses fall-out up into the atmosphere, just some things I can toss out there. Nukes have the very real possiblity of making our home unlivable.