Science Forums

Meteorite hits Norway

Edella

It has been reported as "interesting" but that's it. It is not yet known if it has any relation to any asteroid or comet swarm. One well-known astronomer here said it "had the power of a Hiroshima bomb", which was quickly dismissed by others. So I really don't know much else - there have been no reports of a crater but there were reports of mangled landscape (although very vague so far). Sorry that I can't be of more help...

Found one story with an image of a possible impact site: nothing very impressive though.

http://www.nordlys.no/nyheter/article2140014.ece (Norwegian)

Another story says that people should go out and collect pieces of the meteorite if they can find any - they could be worth lots of money.

Sweet! What do you mean 'not impressive'? For one, I bookmarked that page so I can read some more Norwegian. Takk Tormod!:)

By all means get as many pieces as possible, although I don't know the Norwegian laws on collecting meteorites. Here in the US, if it falls on private property it belongs to the property owner, but if it falls on government land it belongs to the gov. Enterprising hunters sell the knowledge(location, size, type, etc.) of meteorites they find on goverrnment land to the government (universities). At a minimum of about $10/gram US dollars, something like this strike in Norway might prove very profitable because the incoming meteor was seen & recorded & the impact point is still fresh.

Great article; keep looking up.B)

Here in the US, if it falls on private property it belongs to the property owner, but if it falls on government land it belongs to the gov.

When it crashes in open areas like this, it is available to anyone to pick up unless someone can claim that the site is used for mining or something similar.

Basically it's a finders-keepers situation - but it's a day's travel away from Oslo so I'm probably not going up to search. :hihi:

When it crashes in open areas like this, it is available to anyone to pick up unless someone can claim that the site is used for mining or something similar.

Basically it's a finders-keepers situation - but it's a day's travel away from Oslo so I'm probably not going up to search. :shrug:

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/ask/a10547.html

Imagine if you found a kilo of debri from this fall! At even $20 a gram that is$20,000.00! Are you sure you don't want to go? Maybe give pieces at this years office Christmas party!? Hypography contest prizes?:hihi:

Please?:eek2:

• 1 month later...

Another meteor in Norway & this time we have meteorites extant! Tormod leaves Oslo for vacation & bam!:hihi:

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1390361.ece

...It was 10:20am on Friday. Finished with his business in the outhouse, he said he was just hooking the door when he heard a new noise, a whistling sort of sound, followed by a new bang on some aluminum plates lying near the outhouse.

Sure enough, it was particles from a meteor that exploded somewhere over the Oslo Fjord area on Friday morning.

Truth is stranger than fiction.:eek2: Duck, wipe, & cover.;)

Truth is stranger than fiction.B) Duck, wipe, & cover.;)

I love how important cleanliness is to you Turtle... You still wipe, after ducking, with an incoming meteorite. Bravo. :hihi:

As most of us who have seen Jurassic Park well know, not all toilet users exercise such hygiene when under extreme duress whilst engaged in colon evacuation. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

According to Aftenposten, a third fragment of the July 14th meteor is now found South of Oslo.

This is an exceptional find! This is the first time since 1969 that a meteorite has gone through a roof anywhere in Europe. The meteorite is a so-called carbon - CO-meteorite. Previously only five falls of CO-meteorites have been observed on Earth, and the last one occurred in Russia in 1937," said an enthusiastic Ødegaard.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1415787.ece

Check your roof Tormod! If you find a meteorite, for crying out loud don't just give it away!:)

According to Aftenposten, a third fragment of the July 14th meteor is now found South of Oslo.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1415787.ece

Check your roof Tormod! If you find a meteorite, for crying out loud don't just give it away!;)

I live on the first floor in a four-floor building so I *really* hope I don't get one crashing into our living room...:eek:

The question is, if you found a piece of space rock, would you mount it on a frame and put it on the matle piece, OR would you see it for the pretty penny its worth?

The answer is...both. When you find a meteorite (spacerock?;) ), you identify it, cut it up, keep a piece, and sell the rest. Do you fully realize that $600 a gram is 28 times the value of gold?!;)

I live on the first floor in a four-floor building so I *really* hope I don't get one crashing into our living room...

I really hope you find a way to check the roof, as pieces may have fallen there without any deep penetration. I propose a systematic scientific search of Oslo rooftops.:eek: I fully realize that $600/gram is about twenty eight times the value of gold.:doh: