Science Forums

Why is the sky blue

So to put to rest my childhood dilema, can anybody tell me why the sky is blue?

There is a long and a short. The short is that air is lightly tinted blue. You can't notice it right in front of you, but stack up lots of layers and you notice the blue.

Why is air blue is a slightly different question. Calculate the scattering of light off of incoherent dipoles and you'll see the scattering (Rayleigh scattering) goes like w^4, where w is the angular frequency of the radiation. Hence, it scatters more blue then red light.

-Will

For all my experience in physics, I've managed to answer all the questions that I used to annoy my parents with: all, except one.

So to put to rest my childhood dilema, can anybody tell me why the sky is blue?

I used to drive my Dad mad with that one.

He never could answer it.

I have been told that it is the moisture in the atmosphere, sunlight reflecting off it somehow.

I was also told this was not right!

I still don't know for sure!

so does someone want to expalin this sentence?

"The case was finally settled by Einstein in 1911, who calculated the detailed formula for the scattering of light from molecules; and this was found to be in agreement with experiment. He was even able to use the calculation as a further verification of Avogadro's number when compared with observation. The molecules are able to scatter light because the electromagnetic field of the light waves induces electric dipole moments in the molecules."

Here's a nice easy answer. You'll like this one, guys!

:eek_big:

The sky is blue because it's like during the day we're kinda near the bottom of a rainbow, only it's more like an airbow that fills the whole sky. But at dusk we've moved up, and the sky looks kinda yellow or orange or red. Now and then if you're lucky you can see a bit of green.