Science Forums

A Twist of Logic

Infamous, your post is a good one. Current theory says that all matter, above absolute zero, emits photons. The collision of two atoms causes one or more of their electrons to jump to a higher energy level. When they fall back to the lower energy level they creat a photon or the event that we see as a photon. Exactly what happens during that event no one knows. We are very good at describing the effects of that event but we don't know the modus operandi. Understanding that event is going to take an intuitive leap by some one with a good imagination because we only have the one clue of the electron falling back to a lower energy level.

If you accelerate or decelerate a charged particle you create an electromagnetic wave that people commonly call a photon. An electron is a "charged particle". As to what it really is or why it behaves as it does, I don't know. I've seen material on the internet that says it's like a circular moebius-strip standing wave of charge. The trouble is I don't know what charge is either, they say charge is "charge", that's what it is, it's fundamental. So if it's a fundamental property measurable in all places in the Universe, it is therefore a dimension. Perhaps not a spatial dimension as per the tent pole analogy, but a dimension nevertheless.

It is a dimension?

Can you elaborate the details in this?

I have been understanding that a dimension is a concept. It is not a fundamental thing. All things can be represented in a dimension. 1d, 2d, 3d, and whatever your hearts content.

I suppose you mean it is a direction you can move beyond 1,2,and3d, charge that is.

Pop, if we look at the collision of two atoms, it knocks an electron of each atom into a high energy level. This implies an acceleration of the electron to a higher energy level. What is the difference in the upward acceleration to the downward acceleration?

Ark, if you project the shadow of a cube it produces a square plane. Rotate the plane by 90 degrees, it produces a line. Rotate the line by 90 degrees it produces a point. This is an example of the three dimensions that we can see. An example of one that we can’t see, project an image of a sphere it produces a circular plane. Rotate the circular plane by 90 degrees it produces a line. If you rotate this line by 90 degrees it would remain a line.

You aren't giving equal treatment to the two cases:

Rotate the circular plane by 90 degrees it produces a line. If you rotate this line by 90 degrees it would remain a line.
in the case of the square, you performed the two rotations about perpendicular axes, why not do the same in this case?

Arkain: a dimension isn't necessarily a spatial dimension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension

"In common usage, a dimension (Latin, "measured out") is a parameter or measurement required to define the characteristics of an object...

Yes that is what I meant by my prior post.

A direction of sorts. To move in the 7D might cause a magnetic field in the 3D to appear. Let me use the word motion or action instead of direction in differnt dimension.