Science Forums

Bible is word of God ...

PetriFB

Success! Here is the link I was actually searching for last night, where Chris Hitchens articulates this point much more clearly and plainly while debating his own brother:

YouTube - Hitchens vs Hitchens Debate (6 of 14)

Interesting.

What Christopher's brother basically says is that morality is tied to a belief in "higher moral authority", or God. I think we've debunked this thoroughly on this very forum.

Interesting.

What Christopher's brother basically says is that morality is tied to a belief in "higher moral authority", or God. I think we've debunked this thoroughly on this very forum.

Indeed. I think I myself, on more than one occasion, have offered such a rebuttal / debunkment.

Did you watch all 14 parts of the debate? Peter is very clearly a bright guy, but does little to support his point, and I find myself much more inclined to agree with and accept the arguments from Christopher.

Indeed. I think I myself, on more than one occasion, have offered such a rebuttal / debunkment.

Did you watch all 14 parts of the debate? Peter is very clearly a bright guy, but does little to support his point, and I find myself much more inclined to agree with and accept the arguments from Christopher.

I've only watched the vid you gave a link to so far (part 6). It's not kosher to watch such things when my wife is around. She's not religious, but she strongly believes in God. I tried to play her a clip from Dawkins' Enemies of Reason and she flipped out. :)

Sometimes it is hard to be an atheist, but I'd rather be stoned to death than live a lie...

Sometimes it is hard to be an atheist, but I'd rather be stoned to death than live a lie...

If lying to others is what is required to earn their respect, then their respect is not worth earning. Authenticity and and a genuine expression of self is probably the single most important thing you can offer to ensure the happiness of you and those around you. Your clan of like-minded thinkers who place rationality as their foundation is growing larger and stronger with each passing day, so stay true to yourself and your approach to the universe and you will maximize your present existence.

... In the meantime, if your girlfriend wife gave up her belief in God, she'd have nothing left to moan while being satisfied by you in bed... Consider it a good thing until she finally smartens up and joins the club of the enlightened. :)