Science Forums

Psychotropic drugs

my questions are not about what th etrip is like or how it acts but about resitence to the chemical.what i am saying is taking another dose right after (within a day or 3) you finish your last will not yeild the same results. the same thing like needing more of a drug to get as high. i am wondering why this is. it seems pretty common among the people i know that use certain things that after time you need more. and mushrooms alsop seem to have a shart lasting resitance.

DMT i am not aware of resistance but it can certainly last longer than a day. any common ayusca (sp?) makes use of MAOI and can last for a good day. a very long day i would imagine.

peyote has a lot more mescaline than san pedro.

You can eat a few centimeters of peyote and trip harder than you would after harvesting 2 or 3 feet of San Pedro.

Yes this is true however peyote also has many other alkaloids. In an established Trichocereus sp 2-3 feet can be attained in 1-2 years and have a good 3+ inch diameter. A peyote will take a good 10-20 years to reach that diameter and will only be maybe a few inches tall (in the wild). Even indoor grown (I have grown both those and many other Trichocereus) a San Pedro or T. peruvianus can attain edible size within a few years without grafting, peyote may take 5-10 using things like low heat and constant humidity (that’s the cool thing with CAM plants, you can speed them up quite a bit). Although grafting can get your peyote boosted super quickly I am not so sure it has the full strength of alkaloids that a normal paced on would. although I have never heard of a study on it.

the other problem is of course environmental factors and genetics. where perhaps it took someone 3 feet to take in enough chemicals it may only take another person 8". i think both cacti and human have a lot of variation. Shultz reported the southwestern indians in NA to consume very large amounts of this cactus. he also mentioned they eat them dried which always made me wonder if perhaps teh chemical got somewhat destroyed from either heat or UV. It all makes me want to know more about chemistry!

although i do not usual bother with "ethnogen sites" because they are usually just about "lets get high" and rarely learn much about the actual plant. However i usually find this fellows comments quite interesting and he certainly knows a fair amount about cacti! here is a link where he describes similar cacti: http://entheogen.netfirms.com/articles/articles/Narcotic_Cacti.html

below is a chemical lsiting on both peyote. this can be searched at dr dukes: http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/plants.html

3,4-DIMETHOXYPHENETHYLEMINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

ALKALOIDS Plant 50,000 ppm; DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

ANHALAMINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

ANHALIDINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

ANHALININE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

ANHALONIDINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

ANHALONINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

ANHALOTINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

CANDICINE Plant: DUKE1992A

Curare JBH ; Epileptigenic JE38:1 ; Hypertensive JBH ; Nicotinic JBH

DEMETHYL-MESCALINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

HORDENINE Plant: DUKE1992A

Antiasthmatic DUKE1992B ; Antidiarrheic 35 mg/kg scu dog BBE ; Antifeedant JBH ; Bronchorelaxant DUKE1992B ; Cardiotonic 2 mg/cat ivn BBE ; Hepatoprotective PMP23:61 ; Pesticide DUKE1992B ; Vasoconstrictor DUKE1992B

LOPHOPHORINE Plant: DUKE1992A

Convulsant 12 mg/kg rbt UNE

LOPHOTINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

MESCALINE Plant: DUKE1992A

Cardiovascular 25 mg/kg ivn rbt BBE ; CNS-Active 30 mg/kg scu mus BBE ; CNS-Depressant UNE ; Hallucinogen M11 ; Neurotoxic RJH ; Psychoactive DUKE1992B ; Psychotomimetic JBH ; Sympathomimetic M29 ; Teratogenic DUKE1992B ; Tremorigenic AFR27:212

MESCALINE-CITRIMIDE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

MESCALINE-ISOCITRIMIDE-LACTONE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

MESCALINE-MALEIMIDE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

MESCALINE-MALIMIDE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

MESCALINE-SUCCINIMIDE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

MESCALOTAM Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

N-ACETYL-3-DEMETHYLMESCALINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

N-ACETYL-ANHALAMINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

N-ACETYL-ANHALONINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

N-ACETYLMESCALINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

N-FORMYL-3-DEMETHYLMESCALINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

N-FORMYL-ANHALAMINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

N-FORMYL-ANHALONIDINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

N-FORMYL-ANHALONINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

N-FORMYL-MESCALINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

N-FORMYL-O-METHYL-ANHALONIDINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

N-METHYL-MESCALINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

N-METHYL-TYRAMINE Plant: DUKE1992A

Cancer-Preventive 525

O-METHYL-ANHALONIDINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

PELLOTINE Plant: DUKE1992A

Convulsant UNE ; Hypnotic UNE

PEYOGLUNOL Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

PEYOGLUTAM Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

PEYONINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

PEYOPHORINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

PEYORUVIC-ACID Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

PEYOTINE Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

PEYOXYLIC-ACID Plant: DUKE1992A

No activity reported.

TYRAMINE Plant: DUKE1992A

Adrenergic M11 ; Antiaggregant DUKE1992B ; Cardiovascular 0.8 ivn cat BBE 30 mg/kg scu mus BBE ; Hypertensive NIG ; Insectifuge 356 ; Neurotoxic 1 mg/kg ivn dog BBE ; Pesticide DUKE1992B ; Sympathomimetic; Vasoconstrictor PH2 ; Vasopressor DUKE1992B

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this thread is like a review for me as I know many many things which you have already talked about on PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGS. I found out about it at this online pharmacy and I even got the opportunity to purchase some anti-depressants. I'm usually a very depressed person..very pessimist and quite difficult to control the mood swings..some medical advices helped me to find new insight in things, like changing antidepressants..as some were making me insomniac. I had to take Valium in that case, which is really bad.. :)

well, hope this helps you, and may you find what you are searching for.

Well, this thread is like a review for me as I know many many things which you have already talked about on PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGS. I found out about it at this online pharmacy and I even got the opportunity to purchase some anti-depressants. I'm usually a very depressed person..very pessimist and quite difficult to control the mood swings..some medical advices helped me to find new insight in things, like changing antidepressants..as some were making me insomniac. I had to take Valium in that case, which is really bad.. :hihi:

well, hope this helps you, and may you find what you are searching for.

Self medication with anti-depressants can be dangerous. They are very unpredicatable drugs; sometimes they can make things worse.

I would use St John's Wort herb,before using the heavy pharmaceuticals.

A little valium to control the anxiety, that usually accompanies depression, is OK but too much will make the depression worse.

Check out the Depression (Clinical) thread on Hypography. It where all the nice people meet!:)

Self medication with anti-depressants can be dangerous. They are very unpredicatable drugs; sometimes they can make things worse.
I concur with Michaelangelica – unless one has a substantial knowledge of pharmacology, it’s unwise to take medications without expert guidance. Online pharmacies typically exploit the legal loophole that, in nearly all US jurisdictions, a physician need not physically examine, or even speak with, a person before legally prescribing meds. Though useful for reducing drug costs for people who have had previous professional treatment, relying on online MDs to safely prescribe meds is unwise.
I would use St John's Wort herb,before using the heavy pharmaceuticals.
While it’s true that St. John’s Wort is safer than pharmaceutical antidepressants, and popular in many countries as an alternative to pharmaceuticals, I’m unaware of any well-controlled studies having shown that it has an measurable effect in treating depression, and am aware of several showing no significant effect when compared with a placebo. Phamacuticals, particularly the SSRIs (Prozac, Welbutrin, etc.), while difficult to determine appropriate dosage, are very effective, and appear to be fairly side-effect free.

Actually if you're depressed just smoke a bit of herb.

I know, I know,

It's illegal in some places.

Oh well, it's just a weed, and it makes people very, very, happy.

funny you should mention taht, i was on drugs for depression, and when i started tokin', i found that i no longer needed the drugs. :hihi:

I concur with Michaelangelica – unless one has a substantial knowledge of pharmacology, it’s unwise to take medications without expert guidance.

I’m unaware of any well-controlled studies having shown that it has an measurable effect in treating depression, and am aware of several showing no significant effect when compared with a placebo. Phamacuticals, particularly the SSRIs (Prozac, Welbutrin, etc.), while difficult to determine appropriate dosage, are very effective, and appear to be fairly side-effect free.

Hypericum perforatum has been shown in many (especially German) studies to be useful for mild depression.

While above was not my best advice; I think SJW is preferable to launching into self-prescribed, on-line pharmaceuticals for depression.

Why is it SO difficult to ASK for help????

There are many side effects of anti-depression drugs including death from suicide.

Some are good for some people;others are poison;

it may take many months of treatment to find the right mix for each individual.

funny you should mention taht, i was on drugs for depression, and when i started tokin', i found that i no longer needed the drugs. :hihi:

Universal truth.

Doesn't matter if it's illegal. Marijuana is effective for treating depression. (In most cases, some people don't like it. Of course, the balance is to be expected the same way you can't expect anything)

there are certainly effects with st. johns wort as well. one of the effects i got was rashes. i have read that when taking it, especially in higher doses (mine were low) it makes the skin quite sensitive to UV light. this can cause rashing, itching etc. my arms became a little red and really sensitive to teh touch (i worked outside).

despite all its apperant good uses, marijuana does have side effects too. soem people get extremely scared. like said, everyoen reacts differently. i think one of the only true happy makers is opium, then you come down...hard. :hihi: