Science Forums

Reasons For Emotions

Racoon

The animal will run thru fear. Emotions are shared between animals and less evolved human alike.
Exactly what I am saying. Hard wired fear of the unknown, brought to significance by evolution.

Surely the fact that I can survive and prosper in society, and indeed win against any normal human I encounter, is evidence that emotion is unessecary. In fact, tho I am considered to be 'lacking', from my persepctive, it is normals who are disabled, hindered as they are by irrational and easily predicated emotions, which render them susceptable to easy coercion and control.
Actually, it would be better to say they were outdated.

You must be aware that humans are no longer bound to natural selection method of evolution as they once were.

My perceptions are clear and unobstructed by irrelevant 'emotional' concerns. This, it seems to me, makes me more highly evolved than you, since I am a creature of pure reason, not subject to animalistic sub-thought (emotion).
Actually it means that you have preffered to surpress your emotions.

The thing is, for however long you do so, there might be a weak point in your life. It may be due to a very severe loss. At that time, you will not be able to say what you did in the quoted box.

I might add that this is what I have been tring to do for the last few years.

Did you know of the around 120 emotions humanity is taught to feel .. only 12 of these emotions are necessary for development and growth ..

Of the 108 emotions left .. these are all about deficient needs of the self ..

We have the ability to learn fear before we turn the age of one .. by the age of 2 fear is well set in place for a lifetime .. from this moment on .. anything that becomes upsetting and emotional gets stored away in a closet .. deep within our soul ..

In this closet will be all the things we dont like .. for example .. "I wanted to be a ballerina .. but my dad was always telling me I was too fat" .. I become upset and have so many feelings .. and because I am unable to deal with them I store them away ..

Over a period of time these emotions begin to well .. and we have also created within our mind a defence mechanism to ward off any danger of these emotions surfacing its almost like a closet projector .. cos we show it .. we adapt to the harshness of the critics in the world .. mostly from family and peers .. or teachers and other influential people ..

When we come across a situation where we feel unsafe all the defence mechnisms of past experiences come into play .. almost automatically like something turned on the projector .. .. we are then deemed programmed ..

As we grow .. if these issues are not dealt with .. emotions knowing no logic .. continue to play a major part in our lives .. until such time as we become aware to our own self ..

In having stated all this .. one needs to feel to touch and touch to feel .. the key is in awareness .. of the self ..

Maybe its time to clear the past .. that way it will no longer affect you in such a limited way ..

Ashley

Maybe I stated some poor examples.

The point was that when our rational thinking can not help us and the situation is serious we have to fall back on some serious emotional help. Our brain might engage adrenaline rage for ourself, yet we cant just engage such emotional states at will, these come from the survival program built up in our brain.

The purposes for Emotions are pretty simple imo. With lots of emotions being just combinations of simpler emotions.

Anger: Motivate you to recover something beneficial to you and ignore any past experiences which make you doubt the usefulness of the tactics you could use to do so... when in your past experience it would be within your power to succeed.

Nostalgia and reluctance to leave someone or something, Fear of death, perhaps others: Forced rememberance of things you have perceived that your mind has deemed beneficial to make you less likely to leave them. Where your mind deems things to be beneficial when it associates them to other things your mind has deemed beneficial. Where the first links in this chain are either as simple as things which were there at the beginning of life (and since you are still alive, allowed you to survive), or are preprogrammed or who knows what else.

Joy, inspiriation, emotions caused by music: Realization (association) that something you are experiencing is connected to, will provide, etc something that your mind has deemed beneficial in the past.

Nervousness: Uncertainty that a situation will result in something beneficial or detrimental, with emotions associated with both being experienced at once in amounts proportional to how your past experiences predict the current situation will turn out.. possibly directed by your consious mind. IE you hit a baseball, and see it going for the foul line, and your nervousness turns to fear/anger then seeing it cross the fence before the foul line and experiencing joy...

IE combination of joy and anger

Jealousy: Combination of nostalgia/reluctance to leave and nervousness.

Maybe I stated some poor examples.

The point was that when our rational thinking can not help us

Hi All .. I would like to state .. anger is the most accesible emotion .. and also the most listed emotion in this thread .. why do you think that is ..??

It is typical to assume rationality dosent exist when it come to emotions .. rationality is a matter of conscious thought and awareness of oneself ..

The more we stay connected to our emotions .. the more we are acutely aware of those times when we lose the ability to rationalise .. usually when we are under stress.

In these times we can see our own particular way of the dramas emotions can cause ..

Once our emotions are brought to personal awareness .. our connection to rationalise becomes more constant.

Our brain might engage adrenaline rage for ourself, yet we cant just engage such emotional states at will, these come from the survival program built up in our brain.

One never engages in an emotional battle on purpose unless manipulation is used .. then the emotional state has purpose ..

Emotions .. feelings .. dont jump up outta no-where and say ""Hi .. I'm your unresolved issue .. ?? The defence mechanisms are triggered in such a way .. if unconsciously aware .. are automatic .. :doh:

Regards

Ashley

Hi All .. I would like to state .. anger is the most accesible emotion .. and also the most listed emotion in this thread .. why do you think that is ..??

The more we stay connected to our emotions .. the more we are acutely aware of those times when we lose the ability to rationalise .. usually when we are under stress.

Emotions .. feelings .. dont jump up outta no-where ans say ""Hi .. I'm your unresolved issue .. ?? The defence mechanisms are triggered in such a way .. if unconsciously aware .. are automatic .. :)

Nice post Happy. :)

Anger is very common, because we all feel it. Anger can be very productive, if you are conciously aware of why you are angry, and use that anger to fuel a productive activity.

If someone cuts you off in traffic, you get Angry! :rose: but there is little you can do about it, aside from "letting-go"

But say someone at work made you Angry --- say they stabbed you in the back with the boss or something.

You can use that Anger to work harder.

Anger gets things done!

People are generally very predictable. They don't even know why they do what they do many times.

Psychology is my minor. Its very fascinating stuff.

Women usually have better control of their emotions, because they frequently acknowledge them...

Why do we have emotions? Whats the biological imperative?

Women usually have better control of their emotions, because they frequently acknowledge them...

While your experience may lead you to such a conclusion, this is not really the case.

Why do we have emotions? Whats the biological imperative?

Another way to ask the same thing... "What need did emotions fulfill, and how did they assist in our evolutionary survival?"

Cheers. :rose:

Thanks Infinite Now .. for your explanation to women and emotions lol ..

Racoon :rose: Women are like waves when it comes to emotions .. Some are like an unforeseen tsunami .. hahahaha :)

Based on discoveries made through neural mapping of the limbic system .. the neurobiological explanation of human emotion .. is that an emotion is a pleasant or unpleasant mental state organized in the limbic system of the mammalian brain.

Specifically .. these states are manifestations of non-verbally expressed feelings of agreement .. anger .. certainty .. control .. disagreement .. disgust .. disliking .. embarrassment .. fear .. happiness .. hate .. interest .. liking .. love .. sadness .. shame .. surprise .. and uncertainty.

Emotions are mammalian elaborations of vertebrate arousal patterns .. in which neurochemicals (e.g. dopamine .. noradrenaline .. and serotonin) step-up or step-down the brain's activity level .. as visible in body movements .. gestures .. and postures.

In mammals, primates, and human beings, feelings are displayed as emotion cues. In other words they are triggered ..

Before the mammalian brain .. life in the non-verbal world was automatic .. preconscious .. and predictable.

Reptilian motor centers reacted to vision .. sound .. touch .. chemical reactives .. gravity .. and motion sensory cues with preset body movements and programmed postures.

With the arrival of night-active mammals .. circa 180 million years ago .. smell replaced sight as the dominant sense .. and a newer .. more flexible way of responding .. based on emotion and emotional memory .. arose from the a sense.

In the Jurassic Period .. the mammalian brain invested heavily in aroma circuits to succeed at night as reptiles slept. These odor pathways gradually formed the neural blueprint for what was later to become our limbic brain.

Thoughts and emotions are interwoven .. every thought .. however bland .. almost always carries with it some emotional undertone .. however subtle.

Regards

Ashley

While your experience may lead you to such a conclusion, this is not really the case.

Ha! How true sometimes. I've had my share of emotionally unstables :rose:

But generally, women commit fewer criminal acts, get over relationships better, and are more apt at discussing their feelings.

so, I'm generalizing a bit, yeah.

Psychology and Sociology are far from exact science.

Studying psych. has helped me figure out why I am so screwed up! :)

I think Anger evolved as a way of competing and survival, obviously.

Driving people to act in their best interest.

And Love is the polar opposite. the Yin to the Yang sorta' speak...

:)

Still learning.....

I remember reading something awhile ago that sort of did make sense.

In the evolution of the human race, women were much of the time holding down the fort and looking after the children.

Evolution comes from practice and repition. So as the males go out building hunting tools and hunting large game and working stratagy and tactics to hunt they are constantly developing their brain. Meanwhile the females are in cases remaining as care takers at wherever it is they reside.

So the male brain evolved a brain with a bit different rationale.

When we look at the comparison with women and men today and how we operate with emotion or the lack of emotion, this concept does have some validy to it.

Since women in ealry history have likely not practiced as much non emotional based tasks as men may have, it could explain the emotional differences a little.