Science Forums

Home Solar systems

Does anyone have a solar system set up on their home? My wife and I have recently bought a new house and I am considering, at least to eventually setting up a solar power system. They have a price tag on them but I like the idea.

If you do have a system do you like it? issues? thing to look for? Things you wish you did or did not do? How long before it starts breaking even on the wallet? Any other thoughts....

Txs

I don't have any solar panels myself, although I have been investigating solar and wind power generators.

Some questions you want to ask yourself;

How much sunshine do you get (more sunshine, more power).

Are you on the electrical grid, if you are make sure the system is one that compliments the system instead of replacing it.

Most utilities will give you credit for excess energy you produce to use against the energy you draw from the utility when the solar panels are not sufficient.

Another possible option for you is wind power. Depending upon your location and local regulations, you may find a wind generator would work better for you (solar energy peaks in the summer, wind tends to peak in the winter).

If you are interested in wind power, here is one link to find more information http://www.bergey.com/.

In either case, the time to recover the costs are typically many years. This depends upon the price of electricity from your utility and how much it goes up as well as the amount of energy generated by your system.

Good luck to you guys which ever way you decide to go.

Mark

I don't know a lot about these things but my parents used a solar panel to get electricity at their cabin a few years back (they sold it now to buy another place). It was really neat - more than enough to power up my laptop when I needed to work etc. We also had lights all over the cabin. Of course, for a large house you'd need much more but I guess a solar panel could be used as a partial solution. I don't know how long it would take to pay for itself, though...

I have put alot of effort and enegry into studying solar systems and am definitely getting one. You get crazy tax breaks for them in some states, in the first year you get half the cost deducted from your taxes (AZ) and can take more every year. I think this will increase as time goes on due to the recent trend pointing toward renewable energy.