Science Forums

Space Voyage #1

TheBigDog

...Pyro, I love your suggestion for the allocation of the deckspace. We have even more options than that actually. Each pod can have one, two or three levels. The connections are all on the bottom level, so that level is where traffic will be happening. There can be combinations of ladders, stairs and elevators within a pod to the upper levels. The center bay is actually a zero g lab. It not only contains the docking bay at the tip, but airlocks into the outer six cargo bays where the other equipment is stored....The decks of each outer rings float on a system of water filled tubes. This ring of water help insure that the vehicle is always balanced. ...

You're welcome! ;)

When I wrote that list of module types, I was thinking that each module had three decks with two crawlspaces separating them--that's where much of the plumbing, venting, wiring goes. Each module is about 86 feet long (with a 100m ring diameter) or 172 feet long (with a 100m ring radius). Which one???:hihi:

We won't be able to use sunlight for the gardens, cause we'll spend most of our time at Mars orbit or beyond. Way beyond. Artificial lighting is required. that also means the beans don't die when we have to point the ship so that sunlight is coming from the 'wrong' angle.

The water idea is a good one. Must keep ring balanced. But the ordinary waste water accumulation/distribution system would probably work. We can beef it up somewhat so that each module has its own reserve of potable water, and by shifting waste water and potable water, we can keep the ship spinning without wobble.

Do we want the central storage pods to rotate with the ring? Why not have the entire central shaft plus pods be non-rotating, and the ring is attached to a bearing around the central shaft that turns.

When I wrote that list of module types, I was thinking that each module had three decks with two crawlspaces separating them--that's where much of the plumbing, venting, wiring goes. Each module is about 86 feet long (with a 100m ring diameter) or 172 feet long (with a 100m ring radius). Which one???:D

It is the second one. 200 meters diameter. The pods are about 50 meters in length plus the connecting peices that lie between.

Artificial lighting is the order of the day. We will want to use something that won't be going through bulbs. There are plenty of portals for viewing the outside world, but they will not be a light source unless we are suffiently close to the sun.

I was thinking that we will have the central pod rotating to avoid the complication of the bearings. Aside from the structural crawlers for maintaining the ship, there are a couple of "fork truck" or "tug boat" ships that can be flow to grab and return space objects so that the mother ship doesn't need to do any really fine manuvering. We will need operators for these craft. Fuel for them is stored in 2/3rds of the main tank and is one of he limiting factors of what we can do without coming back to earth for replenishments. The structural crawlers would pull things out of the cargo bays and bring them to the center point of the ship. There it either lauches under its own power, or is carried by a tug to where it launches itself. Or it can be place into orbit by the tug.

One of our missions will be the deployment of a large arrayed telescope. Where should we deploy this, and what should its design be?

Bill

The crew of the Prophesy is proud to announce today that Hypography will be the exclusive media outlet for publication of all scientific studies, findings and research that take place on this voyage.

Likewise, Hypography will be the official media outlet for direct

communications with the crew via the internet. This will be done at Forums.Hypography.com.

Bill

I, secret reprentative of the PCSD(Planetary commision for spatial dominance) designate your project unlawful without a proper inspection from the authorized officers.

Be prepared to submit all the details of your voyage and craft in three decades. Perform this submission in your media outlet. (ronthepon hinting. hint! hint!!)

Failure to do so will result in immediate termination of free beer subscription of all the people associated with the project.

Fineprint:

Please guys, don't destroy all my rep points, just a kid kidding around...

Say...

Got an extra seat? I sweep floors really well...:)

No?:cup:

I, secret reprentative of the PCSD(Planetary commision for spatial dominance) designate your project unlawful without a proper inspection from the authorized officers.

Be prepared to submit all the details of your voyage and craft in three decades. Perform this submission in your media outlet. (ronthepon hinting. hint! hint!!)

Failure to do so will result in immediate termination of free beer subscription of all the people associated with the project.

Fineprint:

Please guys, don't destroy all my rep points, just a kid kidding around...

Say...

Got an extra seat? I sweep floors really well...:)

No?:cup:

One thing that this crazy space business breeds is a sense of humor. You are certainly welcome aboard the Prophesy!

While sweeping floors is something we will need done, I am sure there are plenty of less mundain things that a willing individual can help with on this mission. And no matter your expectations and abilities at the beginning of the voyage, your experiences will outshine your wildest imagination. :)

Bill

OK crew, this weekend in addition to our busy schedules preparing for our June 1st launch we are goinng to be doing a PR event. We will be serving a dinner with food that was grown/harvested in space on board the Prophesy. This should not effect our mission any other than taking some of our valuable time. This is for investors in the project, and countries who have been cooperative in helping us avoid "regulatory issues".

So, I believe at this point we have Racoon as our lead veggie grower. With Pyro and Boerseun in the kitchen. So what I am asking you guys to do is come up with a variety menu that will be typical during our voyage to give these people a taste of what it will be like to join us on the mission.

Can yo guys come up with a menu by Saturday?

Bill

Aren't we bringing a BBQ grill too I hope. ;)

We should have enough Propane storage and Freezer space. :)

We can cook up any extraterrestrial lifeforms too I suppose...

Aliens taste like chicken! :(

Our stoves and ovens are all electric. No fire based cooking onboard. But we can have a campout on the first habitable place we find.

Bill

PR Event? Food? Menu? GOSH!!! :hihi:

I need to get my arse in gear! The hydroponic solution hasn't even been delivered yet!!!

To begin with, yes, FREE BEER. There's a boozer around the corner. I'll just need to haul arse on the 'ponics!

(I can, however, do an oxtail potjie off the cuff, we can amputate all the cows we were planning on taking along's tails. They should still be fine for breeding purposes afterwards...)

Yes, I for one don't want to run into an asteroid or something. Please if your drinking then please, stay off of anything that is Mission Critial. Thank you.

Oh and watch that panel, it's not water proof and you might cause a short, spilling your beer like that.

I vote all panels become water(beer)-proof and I would like to vollenteer as the resident brewer :) we are going to need a constant supply no?

I would assume so, given this crowd. One of the garden modules needs to have a vineyard, so I can make wine. Preferably, Merlot.

Lighting for the garden modules: "Light Pipes". No kidding--you take tough but flexible plastic hose, lightly frost the inside with a metalic-prismatic coating. At one end, beam radio waves down your "waveguide" which activates the gas mixture, causing it to glow in visible. Conversion from RF to light is very high, and produces very intense light. You might even need to wear sunglasses when out to pick squash and beans.