Science Forums

Interesting Simulations

Im pretty new here and i have to say im a simulation nut, i always think of new things that could be simulated and how the model would look like using software. I compiled a list of existing simulation categories that im aware of and some applications:

Weather Simulators - 'Earth Simulator'

Nuclear Systems Simulators - used by the US government

Virtual Reality Simulators - animation/games

AI Simulators - neural networks/expert systems

Biology Simulations - protein-folding/population growth/evolution

Astronomy Simulation - astronomical mapping/cosmic structure formation

Does anyone have any other ideas of intersting ideas for simulation?

What about of any interesting simulators that were developed? :(

My obsession has always been traffic simulators. Many years ago I cobbled together a simulator of the SF Bay Bridge toll plaza after having spent years commuting through it (no, you can't have my code, its very broken anyway....). If you do its a hard decision to go for either the cellular automaton vs. Newtonian sprite approach: the former is good for very large systems, while the latter is much better for small-scale.

Fun stuff!

if (carinfront->driver == LITTLEOLDLADY) changelane();

Buffy

By the way, how did you come to like simulation and stuff?

I guess i like the abstractness and simplicity of creating something from scratch and building it up to something that behaves like in the real world. It makes me feel like im creating part of reality :shrug: .. Im not into the whole 3D thing but more into the mathematics and the logic. Its pretty exhilarating when you take a set of concepts and create a mathematical model then run the simulation and get results that mimic reality, i think of it as reverse engineering reality :(

Going into a black hole simulation.

Going 0.99C the speed of light simulation, and then, going the speed of light simulation.

Now thats cool arkain! i thought about that as well in the light thing in the 'What is time' post :eek_big:

There was an animation that i once saw somewhere on some documentary that had two animations .. one was the camera going through a grid like structure at normal speed, and then how it would look like at the speed of light, looked pretty warped .. once i can find out where ive seen that ill post it.

My obsession has always been traffic simulators.

Cool stuff, i remember in my undergrad i had an assignment that dealt with traffic lights lol.

we've had a thread that dealt with some simulation videos before, lighting simulations, fire simulations and so forth... prolly find it if you search long enough, i think it was called better graphics or something along the lines... figured you may like some realy crazy videos...

• 2 weeks later...