Science Forums

Does a machine exist that can run the gamut from infrared vision to UV and beyond?

I want to see what things might look like if we had eyes that saw a different chunk of the spectrum. Bees see UV. The Predator sees infrared. Doctors see X-rays. Is there any demo of all these types of vision? Infrared is neat but it seems to me we could even make "radio vision" or full spectrum vision, or other cool toys, by playing with the spectrum. I'm curious.

Even a link to a site that demonstrates bee vision would be appreciated.

I want to see what things might look like if we had eyes that saw a different chunk of the spectrum. Bees see UV. The Predator sees infrared. Doctors see X-rays. Is there any demo of all these types of vision? Infrared is neat but it seems to me we could even make "radio vision" or full spectrum vision, or other cool toys, by playing with the spectrum. I'm curious.

Even a link to a site that demonstrates bee vision would be appreciated.

From: MADone; There are many printing machines that need to translate a large varity of print media, this means UV coated, X-ray, Photographics shot at night usind heat detection or infra-red device, pixel enhancement vertical and horizontal, crypted difusion and so on. There is probably a print shop near you.. I deal with the "Ganets", "Wash Post", "New York Times", "GPO" , I feel your answers are within these guys egg-heads, they would love to chat or even demonstrate some of the facinating ways "Others see US".

Madone

such technology has been around for a long time, US army started using knight vision goggles, which enable you to see in dark by the use of infrared light, in the Vetnam conflict, now, you can buy a set online or at a store in NYC, some army retail stores and so forth, that's been around for a while.

UV is a bit harder, but also very possible, infact a recent mission to capture sun dust had an instrument to do just that, basically a special camera.

And yes, the science arsenal includes xray telescopes, as well as radio telescopes, which create an image from radio waves.

Other cool toys include spectroscopes which capture, separate and record light rays coming from a star for example, very useful to determine a perticular star's composition, an infrared spectrometer was used in the mars mission to determine the composition of marsian rocks.

I want to see what things might look like if we had eyes that saw a different chunk of the spectrum. Bees see UV. The Predator sees infrared. Doctors see X-rays. Is there any demo of all these types of vision? Infrared is neat but it seems to me we could even make "radio vision" or full spectrum vision, or other cool toys, by playing with the spectrum.

Quick point, at best, you'd be able to see a "translation" of these other types of vision, as you can only "see" what's in the part of the spectrum visible to your eyes. You will never be able to see x-rays or see infrared, or see UV... you will only see a representation of those translated into the parts of the visible spectrum you can perceive.

It's a bit like asking to hear what is beyond the auditory range of the human...