Science Forums

Lifes natural balance with technological influence

has anyone else noticed technologies advancement is bringing us closer and closer to lack of physical movement. What i mean is that computers and video games have made it a social place to be at your house and yet you aren't alone? Then again we are making things portable too, which means on the go but those portable things, psp, ipod, are pretty much the same thing as being at home, you communicate less with others physically, you plug in and bam...it is almost like the matrix, maybe not the gnarley robots controlling us, and farming us..but then again they already in a way do. Sadly i can admit to freaking out when my internet or cpu isn't working, or i forgot my ipod. Apparently the world around us has become boring, and we rather be in other worlds? Obviously i am not better or beyond this, i myself am apart of this, and use myself and peers as examples. I wouldn't be suprised if we became ghost in shells, (replaced human body parts with more efficient robotic ones, or we turned our world into the matrix, by plugging in at birth. Personally i see one good thing about this, and it has to do with littering, and destroying our earth, we would only be destroying a virtual reality instead of our real earth...but there are multiple problems, such as, someone or people will not be plugged in because they will be controllng or managing this device, everything man made, needs man maintance, man thoughts, ideas and man. Which a.)Means robots could not do this alone, and b.)man is corrupt, man has temptations that not all men can resist.

Anyways, that is way into the future, as of now, what are some pro's and con's of our technology?

Sadly, Mankind is an inherently lazy being. We are applying our technology to every facet of our lives in order to reduce the workload, however little we have to do. The only things we seem to want to do, and do so with gusto, is eat and have sex. Everything else seems too much effort, and spawns new inventions on a daily basis to eliminate it.

We have automatic lawnmowers, for crying out loud.

This trend started hundreds of thousands of years ago, with the invention of the first stone knife, because hacking at a dead animal with blunt instruments was too much effort.

I think the golf-cart is the epitome of human laziness. The Sedgway coming in a close second.

But, yes - I agree with you. We'll probably end up growing to our keyboards. With a caffeine drip to boot.

Sadly, Mankind is an inherently lazy being. We are applying our technology to every facet of our lives in order to reduce the workload, however little we have to do. The only things we seem to want to do, and do so with gusto, is eat and have sex. Everything else seems too much effort, and spawns new inventions on a daily basis to eliminate it.

How dependent has it made us, i know a lot of people, at least my generation would be screwed if we lost technology, even the simple extinct of food..a lot of people order out,fastfood, even the food we get at the store is already prepared for us and packaged to go

Yes, but why would any life form do 10x as much work for the same outcome, when it could be done with 1/10th as much effort? That's just silly. Hence, here we are today... the accumluation of several great ideas and advances.

As for surviving w/o technology and many's difficulty doing this... that's where the work of Charles Darwin sheds some light. :star:

Cheers. :cup:

whoah there,

i work at a warehouse, and trust me, i do more physical work then most people on these forums, and i have formed an answer to this question about a month into my job, so over a year ago:

I understand that technology may contribute to the lack of "exercises" or more correctly put, physical work. And some may beleive that this may cause people to be less physically active thus being less healthy and strong, more obese and so forth. I think, however that technology has provided the opportunity for people to be more healthy, just that most people dont take their time to do the necessary to be that way. Let me explain my point by focusing your attention on construction workers. It is a hard job, one that requires physical strength and some skill. What people dont know is that most construction workers start developing arthritis and other medial conditions within most of their hand and food joints, by the age of 45. Why? Because those body parts are overworked by the person in their long and tedious careers, it is not healthy to put those body parts to such loads all the time (carying, moving, pushing, hitting, throwing and so forth). On the other hand people that deal with a computer all day long for example have the advantage of not putting their bodies to such strnuous exerceise. What most dont do is exercise outside work. You see, if you go to the gym for 2 hours 3 times a week, twice to work out, one to do a sport or swin, you are better, health-wise, then a construction worker. Physical strength is built over time, granted you diet right, and at 45 a techie most of the time will still be in a really great shape... but thats just my take on this...

personally i wasnt focusing on the lack of excerise aspect my main concerned was lack of physcial contact, the fact that we can now sit in a tank and blow people away on what looks like a video game screen making war and killing people seam like a video game or not part of reality. We no longer have to look someone in the eyes as we take their life away and watch them die slowly from our sword and feel the emotion. I dunno, even this form of communciaton, aol, aim, is all so impersonal. It is a lot easier to tell someone to **** off to bea dick etc..becuase even though behind this screen and these words is a real person it stil lisnt the same as being there with them

that is very much true, and makes sertain situations better and some a lot worse. I understand your main consern, the beauty is that you can blow people off all day long to discharge and get away with it (in most cases, but blowing off someone who knows some coding and how to find securuty exploits may not be a great idea...) sometimes, though i do enjoy people being uncapable of seeing or talking to me in person. Have you ever been on irc chat rooms where a load of script kiddies are talking about stuff? Its an experience, really. First, you cant read squat as the page flashes in a gazillion colors, everyone uses their own style of leet speak and they talk about things they think they know, while running on completely open windows boxes, with occasional "how do you hack" or "how do you use this trojan"... Its a horrifyingly-hilarious pseudo experience, especialy if you know that sending a syn packet with a source and destination as the same adress sends a pre SP2 with a turned on firewall into a loop that freezes it for about a minute or so.... :phones: ... then messages like "hey my computer just froze for 5 minutes" become really funny to you too...

lol

i agree, we CS people lack personal contact with everyone we talk to, however that gives me time to spend with people i'd rather talk in person to, and still remain anonymous in some conversations online...

sidethought: tor is the best :naughty: