Science Forums

Theist need not Apply

Abstruce

I am writing a script for a movie about a young man who has a run in with several dead prophets on top of the continental divide, while riding his dirt bike.(Jesus, Muhammad, Abraham, Buda, and a sacred cow named Hindu)

They tell the main character(an Atheist) that everything is a mess and they want him to fix the problem (no small task) they instruct him to go start a new Church and to call it the "Church of Reality".

He quickly becomes frustrated when he can't get people to believe in reality. So he starts a marketing campaign to get people to come to his church.

My question is if you were going to try to get Theist to believe in reality how would you do it? More important in this case, how would you entice people of other religious faiths to attend your church, "The Church of Reality"?

One last note you only have a 100,000.00 budget.

*Any information you submit here may become part of the production (working title "The Prophet") by Global Productions and you release all rights thereof.

My question is if you were going to try to get Theist to believe in reality how would you do it? More important in this case, how would you entice people of other religious faiths to attend your church, "The Church of Reality"?

Truly, I'm not trying to be a party pooper but; I think the first thing on your agenda needs to be:

Define Reality

.....................Infy

Define Reality

.....................Infy

That's easy

Reality in everyday usage means "everything that exists." The term "Reality," in its most liberal sense, includes everything that is, whether or not it is observable, accessible or understandable by science, philosophy, theology or any other system of analysis. Reality in this sense may include both being and nothingness, whereas "existence" is often restricted to being. (Compare with nature). But reality really means the consciousness of everything and everyone that exists, consciousness is reality and existense.

Any questions?

I think you have made your point.

Bill

Creative writing is the point of this thread.

How would someone start a new religion?

Would you advertise it in the news paper?

Would you hang a sign on your back and walk up and down the street?

Would you go to other Religious services and try to recruit?

Would you drop leaflets form and airplane?

Would you put up bill board signs?

This is the question.

JQ

That's easy

Reality in this sense may include both being and nothingness, whereas "existence" is often restricted to being. (Compare with nature). But reality really means the consciousness of everything and everyone that exists, consciousness is reality and existense.

Any questions?

A little too easy I might add. Using this logic, reality can be anything one wants it to be, right? That sort of thinking lowers the definition of reality 'real stuff' to the state of irrelivance......................Infy

Abstruce:

But reality really means the consciousness of everything and everyone that exists, consciousness is reality and existense.

This is correct. The universe has no meaning untill your consciousness applies its meaning onto it.

I do understand what you mean as the underlying truth-basic of existence.

Although, I've realised that as for a different level, consciousness can manipulate reality. For example, If a person sees a women get hit on the street by a car. The reality is, the women had a physical interaction with the car that caused her death.

Two witnesses were there.

The reality of the situation for one witness was that it was funny, as he has some different configurations in his reality, and he burst out laughign histarically.

The reality to the other witness was that it was tragic and horrific. He began crying and praying as he ran over and to aid the women, to only find she had passed.

This situation has versions of applications of reality of the situations. The truth-basic is the method of stating the most plain obvious observations in a situation in an almost un opinionated way which depends on facts.

A religion and church is mental configuration and application towards reality more than it is the definition or observation of reality.

What you after is not a new church or religion, but more of pointing the paved road which all these other applicationed roads are build upon.

here is another truth-basic example. ( I cant seem to explain it properly but it seems to be how to find reality, and live in it, to get through the filters of consciousness, like you appear to be after).

A person is depressed. They are very suicidal. They Do not want to go on living and cant see a reason to. The person who was once succesful and social and had a partner they were living with was once happy and high on life and had a list of goals in front of them. Things changed, the partner left, and his health had complications.

In the mind of this person they want to make the pain and suffering stop. They dont want to die. The answer they find in the confused mess of there thoughts is that death is an end, but not a solution.

I come walking in, and I ask the person if I can talk to them for a moment in a truth basic manner in order to see if I can help them. This person agrees.

I tell them, to recall a time when they were happy. Think to a time in your life, even if it was a point in childhood that was very happy. The person thinks back and a smile crosses his face and he remembers a time when he and his girlfriend were together talking about there future and kids they had planned.

So I ask the person, would you agree with me that even though at this state of now in your life you are sad and feel it is impossible to get back to feeling happy that it is in fact very possible to feel happy? No complicated details, just simply agree with the fact that happyness is not impossible, why ? well because you had it before.

So what is the difference for you between then and now? i ask him. he isnt sure.

Would you agree that the main basic truth is that now you are thinking about that what makes you sad, and back then that what was happy. The difference being was then you didnt have these thoughts, and today you do.

He agrees.

So lets go back to that happy memory, and think about it more. If you smile now, would you agree with me that for that split moment your line of thoughts ended the depression and you experienced what it is to be happy again, in the NOW? He agrees, yes , and laughs saying, I did feel happy for that moment.

I tell the person to tell me if it feels good to think about feeling good. and he says yes it does feel good to think about feeling good.

Does it feel bad to think about feeling bad? and he agrees.

Now with these truth basic notions of your situation, do you agree that you now have a knowledge in guiding yourself more than you did before I spoke to you? he agrees, yes I do realise I am the guide of my now.

I tell him, of course there are more details and it can not be fixed so easily, but would you agree that to get unstuck out of the mud, one must understand how to drive the vehicle, and realise which way they are going?

He says yes, and understands that the reality has not changed but his application of what his opinion is on it has.

He must now find out where his sad thoughts apply to which is also there source and work on creating his new happiness in his new now, since happiness is not a place where we were or a place to get to, but a place of being, in the now, a state of mind.

Doesn't each religion believe they teach reality or truth? While Abstruce is being somewhat condenscending to religion, he has a point.

So The answer to your question is:

1st. You have to have the word of God, made up or real.(doesn't seem to matter) preferably written.

2nd. You preach. (find suckers, Uh I mean followers) It takes time but eventually people start to believe.

3rd. You breed, go forth and multiply. (Have them find more followers and tell thier kids and everyone they know that if the don't believe they will be sodomized violently for all eternity after they die.)

4th. You now have an army of people. Go kill as many people as you can who don't believe the same as you.

Now you got yourself a religion.

A little too easy I might add. Using this logic, reality can be anything one wants it to be, right?

Yes, this is true, theist (A person who believes in the existence of a God) perceive man made mythological entities to be real, therefore this is their reality as individuals. This is called a false reality, otherwise known as belief in a lie. Reality has two context's, true, false.

Reality, is similar to science it can be tested and the results are best when they remain dynamic.

Perfections, or absolutes do not exist in reality, only evolution and change are fixed.

We are the creators, we create our reality, true and false, we influence the reality of others.

That sort of thinking lowers the definition of reality 'real stuff' to the state of irrelivance......................Infy

No, Reality can only be true or false.

JQ

What your after is not a new church or religion, but more of pointing the paved road which all these other applicationed roads are build upon..

Yes, to help people understand what Reality is. In this context I use "Church" and "Religion" as a defining term for fellowship. Fellowship with one goal, the quest for knowledge, to build success and support of the individual, benefiting the group as one.

He must now find out where his sad thoughts apply to which is also there source and work on creating his new happiness in his new now, since happiness is not a place where we were or a place to get to, but a place of being, in the now, a state of mind.

This is an example of emotion. Emotion is a Human response to events.

We try to control our emotions, this is not always possible. However as with everything else, emotions change with the passage of time.

Doesn't each religion believe they teach reality or truth? .

Exactly, hence this is the problem, true reality must be checked at the door.

False reality must be conceived as true once inside.

While Abstruce is being somewhat condenscending to religion, he has a point.

So The answer to your question is:

1st. You have to have the word of God, made up or real.(doesn't seem to matter) preferably written.

2nd. You preach. (find suckers, Uh I mean followers) It takes time but eventually people start to believe.

3rd. You breed, go forth and multiply. (Have them find more followers and tell thier kids and everyone they know that if the don't believe they will be sodomized violently for all eternity after they die.).

Yes, this is belief bourn out of fear.

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." AE

4th. You now have an army of people. Go kill as many people as you can who don't believe the same as you.

Now you got yourself a religion.

And this is why AE said.

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions. "

Reality is what is real. (ie. what can be proven.) Reality is fact or truth. Many religions try to take truth or reality and make it their own little version of reality, a false reality. Abstruce's new religion is doing the same thing. I have heard Truth as the doctrine of many when they can not prove such a claim. If he adopts this view for his new religion other religions should be racing to his aid to show the corectness of this line of thinking. Of course, this would undermine their "truth". This is the problem the rest of the world faces in response to other people's "truths".

Abstruce,

Why do these religuos figures appear to an athiest. Would not the athiest deny their authority? What purpose would he have in doing their bidding?

Some guy