Science Forums

What Is Memory?

Racoon

I would not oversimplify the term consciousness ... When speaking about memory and consciousness, one should draw definite distinctions between the two. While some level of consciousness may exist in lower forms of life, I think it a bit of a stretch to use the word ALL.

Memory is a much more widely used term and can be used to refer to things as inanimate and lifeless as a coil spring. To use the two words interchangably is a mistake in my opinion...........................Infy

Infy,

Of course you're right re Memory, and let's bear in mind that immunity is based on most efficient memory.

Re consciousness, I partially concur with you. I suggest that ALL forms of life possess the attribute of Sentience, and that from the least towards the most evolved life forms Sentience has been gradually evolving into ever more complex Consciousness.

My pertinent word definitions are from Merriam-Webster:

Sentience = state of elementary or undifferenciated consciousness as distinguished from perception and thought.

Consciousness = the quality or state of being aware especially of something within oneself and/or of an external object, state, or fact.

Dov