Science Forums

An experiment

C1ay

For the past year I have had some text in my sig colored the same as the site's background color knowing that it would only be visible to those that happened to highlight it for one reason or another. It said, "Experiment: PM me if you find this." and contained a string of numbers which at the end was "3285-4135-5255-5275-6605-7165-8605-8605-9265-12175-12255-1406-1276-2236-3106". The 1st number represents 3/28/05, the day I began this experiment and each of the other numbers represents the date I received an email that someone had spotted this in my sig. The members that spotted this and PMed me over the course of the year are:

4/13/05...MortenS

5/25/05...nkt

5/27/05...Qfwfq

6/6/05....Dark Mind

7/16/05...karlfreak

8/6/05....chimo

8/6/05....Killean

9/26/05...rockytriton

12/17/05..turtle

12/25/05..Tormod

1/4/06....kamil

1/27/06...P-man

2/23/06...skywyze

3/10/06...Jay-qu

14 members over 12 months out of all the people that pass through here. With all the copy and pasting that is typical of the internet I suspected there would be more. Now I wonder, was there more and they didn't mail me or did people just not notice?

Now I wonder, was there more and they didn't mail me or did people just not notice?
Actually C1ay, I guess I missed it. I'm rather new at this computer stuff so it shouldn't be of any real surprise to anyone. As a matter of instruction, give me some pointers that will help me understand the method for this discovery. When you say "highlight your signature", how do I preform this function? I guess I'm showing my ignorance right now but that's OK, I never pretended to know everything. Help me out with this C1ay, you've sparked my curiosity.....................Infy

Actually C1ay, I guess I missed it. I'm rather new at this computer stuff so it shouldn't be of any real surprise to anyone. As a matter of instruction, give me some pointers that will help me understand the method for this discovery. When you say "highlight your signature", how do I preform this function? I guess I'm showing my ignorance right now but that's OK, I never pretended to know everything. Help me out with this C1ay, you've sparked my curiosity.....................Infy

There is some text between the dashes below. Highlight the dashes and the space between them as if you were going to copy and paste it. When you highlight it you will see the text.

--- some text ---

This was accomplished by using the color tag like:

--- some text ---

Ultimatly clever C1ay!

You have peaked my interest. I have tried to make text match the background, but the color is not available in the set I see. How do you do that part?

Bill

See above :lol:

Guest chendoh
One would be led to believe that since the experiment is over that the stimuli has been removed.

A very good observation.

It took me 3 reads of post#1, before I was led to drink.

I don't know what's been happening to me lately. :cry:

I'll be darned, I found cwes99_03 reply, but I still can't find your experiment C1ay

It's been removed from my sig. I just wanted to count how many replies I got in a year. It used to be in the line below the Editor and Administrator line.

I have run across these things in the past by sheer accident. Occasionally I will receive a blank message or see a large portion of a webpage that is blank and check it out. Usually though I find it in IM information pages and messages from friends and foes.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If it is truly invisible and you can't smell or hear it then how do you experience it.

-cwes

Guest chendoh
Chendoh,

Is this faster drinking or slower?

Bill

TBD, if your refering to C2H6O, I understand, but when IN said:

One would be led to believe.....

What I was thinking was, 'you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink'. In understanding the nuances of C1ay's post.

There are times when I have trouble handling my native tongue.

One of my original sayings goes 'I have eyes, but I can not see' :)

Steve