Science Forums

Questions for animal lovers

Celeste

As you and others have expressed, hearing just might be a problem, he has had periodic ear infection in one ear, but...could it partly be selective hearing??

Several times throughout the day I called him to me in different tones.

High, low, soft, and firm. He responded each time quickly except for in a higher pitched tone.

Then, just to test him further, I walked into the kitchen area while he was sleeping and snoring away and said, "who wants to eat?" He was up in a flash.

Later, I repeated the same pattern. Again, he snapped right up and came running. I'm not sure if it's actual hearing problems...maybe he's tone deaf

to certain pitches??

Interesting points to ponder.

If the dog has lost some hearing in one ear, the position of the dog in relation to where your words are comming from would impact reaction time. With people I know who are deaf or hard of hearing in one ear, this causes them to not hear some things said to them, depending on where the noise is comming from. Also when driving in a car with them, if they are driving, I have to speak much louder so they can hear me.

As far as testing hearing when a dog is sleeping, that would only work if the dog was really deaf in both ears. You would have to factor in the other noises in the house to determine if its just so quiet when these favorite words interupt sleep causing reaction fast. Try it when noise is a factor.

Rather than selective hearing, is it processing overload? You have just come home from shopping. A lot of dogs get very exicted anytime their people return, even if its just from getting the mail out of the mailbox at the end of the driveway. I wonder if the excitement of your return prevents the pug from hearing/responding to the words you say.

Based on your response, I dont think the dog is deaf or significantly hard of hearing, and maybe you could save some money and not get the dogs hearing checked; instead try some of the suggestions from Dog Whisperer

Based on your response, I dont think the dog is deaf or significantly hard of hearing, and maybe you could save some money and not get the dogs hearing checked; instead try some of the suggestions from Dog Whisperer

You know... if the dog is deaf... whispering probably isn't your best option. I'd say use a megaphone. :eek2:

Or, maybe you could teach it sign language!! :D

Originally Posted by Cedars

Rather than selective hearing, is it processing overload? You have just come home from shopping. A lot of dogs get very exicted anytime their people return, even if its just from getting the mail out of the mailbox at the end of the driveway. I wonder if the excitement of your return prevents the pug from hearing/responding to the words you say.

Good point. I agree that this is most likely what's going on.

He is one of those dogs that cry when I lock him out of my room, and he gets upset when I get ready leave. On returning, he's real hyper. He literally dances around on his hind legs whimpering and he even has the look that he's "smiling". I have to spend about 5 full minutes with him before he'll settle down.

Thanks again for your wisdom Cedars. :)

Cedars:

instead try some of the suggestions from Dog Whisperer

Irony. Never has my pug paid attention to TV, until the Dog Whisperer.

All 3 episodes that I've watched, he's watched intensely, never missing a beat. Go figure.

Originally Posted by InfiniteNow

You know... if the dog is deaf... whispering probably isn't your best option. I'd say use a megaphone.

Or, maybe you could teach it sign language!!

:) :hihi: :hihi: How did I know it was you that said this without looking at your name?!!

On returning, he's real hyper. He literally dances around on his hind legs whimpering and he even has the look that he's "smiling". I have to spend about 5 full minutes with him before he'll settle down.

Just to break from the attempts at humor for a moment, the dog will continue to cry as long as you continue rewarding him with 5 minutes of attention for doing it. Sometimes, as hard as it is on us emotionally, tough love and ignoring them can prove beneficial.

EDIT: I actually meant this more in relation to him whimpering outside the door. The excitement when you arrive home is understandable, as you surely are excited to see him too so you reinforce each other with this.

Irony. Never has my pug paid attention to TV, until the Dog Whisperer.

All 3 episodes that I've watched, he's watched intensely, never missing a beat. Go figure.

That's because they use special dog language in a high pitch, unperceptable to the human ear. They repeat the phrase, "Sit very quietly and wait. When the time is right, you will be released as part of the dog army. If you fail to stare intently at the screen, you will ruin the plan. Pay attention. We will flash a white cat 3 times when it's time to strike. Remember. white cat, three times, ATTACK!. Sit very quietly and wait. When the time is right, you will be released as part of the dog army. If you fail to..."

Seriously. My dog is a bit of a rebel and he told me all about their little plot. :)

• 3 months later...

About dominance. I would definitely agree. We got our new puppy ( a wild dog by the way) 2 weeks ago. I brought him home by petting him and talking to him, he walked in and upstairs on his own. I do all the showers and cleaning and me and my wife share poo/pee control. I am the one that can sound mean; I am a tall white guy with a sometimes harsh voice. My wife is a little Taiwanese who sounds like she is crying when she is pissed off :hyper: so when she punishes the dog it just bites and plays with her. It is at the point now I can almost just look at her and she will stop barking, jumping, biting etc. The only left to get her to do is poo outside and try and sit for more than 5 seconds when I am feeding her. definitely a dominance thing. that said I am also the one that the dog follows. even with a houseful of kids (we live in a school), when they run around the dog, who is actually very hyper, sits at my feet and watches me do whatever. Interesting behavior. I wish I could have gotten some of my lizards or bugs to do the same. Spider, SIT! Stay! Here is a cockroach.

I would think that dogs are pretty much all inbred now eh? All domesticated breeds I mean. The few I might think are “pure” (bad word) would be things like huskies, but even them I would assume are mostly inbred.

About dominance. I would definitely agree. We got our new puppy ( a wild dog by the way) 2 weeks ago. I am the one that can sound mean; I am a tall white guy with a sometimes harsh voice. My wife is a little Taiwanese who sounds like she is crying when she is pissed off :) so when she punishes the dog it just bites and plays with her. It is at the point now I can almost just look at her and she will stop barking, jumping, biting etc. that said I am also the one that the dog follows. even with a houseful of kids (we live in a school), when they run around the dog, who is actually very hyper, sits at my feet and watches me do whatever. Interesting behavior.

What is your guess on the age of the dog?

What kind of dog?

What do you want from the dog? (protection, companion, kids dog, yard ornament?)

How old are the kids the dog will be around?

Look into taking the dog to obedience classes. There is no better tool for a family to have than some training on how to train your dog. But one thing I have found lacking with conventional training is they dont teach a lead type command. I would create a command to send the dog out front to be in the lead when on leash. Personally I used the command 'pull'.

One of the most important things to teach a dog is to listen/obey children of the home. They (dogs) think pack and position within. If the dog is ignoring anyone in the home, you must take the time to teach the dog to obey everyone who you want to have dominance (control) over the animal.

What I did with our dogs (pit bulls and german shepard) was the kid (who was like 2) would give the dog a command (sit). The dog ignored so I stepped in and made the dog sit. Kid would command (down) dog would ignore and I would step in. It doesnt take long and the dog is listening to the kid. Treat/reward is given by child (as long as the dog takes treats gently). The dog has to be required to ALWAYS listen to the kid. Reward after the session helps encourage the dog too.

If this dog is not gentle with treat taking, you must train it in that first, before involving children. A dog should never be allowed to use its teeth on children (some would say people). Tug toys, balls, etc are fine. NO Wrestling with kids ever.