Science Forums

New thought on Global Warming

I happened to turn the channel to 60 minutes tonight and learned something that is actually not suprising to me: Reports made by scientists have to go to the white house to be edited before they're published. Lawyers and politicians editing scientific evidence. ....

Here is the link to the story:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/17/60minutes/main1415985.shtml

I missed the program, but I'm hearing a lot of outrage over this revelation. In short, the US citizens seems not to have access to the real situation through everyday media. As if it's not hard enough to sort out the facts, now we have to deal with outright lies!

Here is more alarming news:

http://www.spacemart.com/reports/Radar_Altimetry_Shows_Warming_Affecting_Polar_Glaciers.html

Another study, by Eric Rignot of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., and Pannir Kanagaratnam of the University of Kansas in Lawrence, and published in the Feb. 17 issue of the journal Science, showed Greenland glaciers are melting into the sea twice as fast as previously believed.

Guess what happens when you stack more and more ice into the center of an ice sheet, it puts outward pressure on the ice mass.

Greenland's ice cap has thickened slightly in recent years despite wide predictions of a thaw triggered by global warming,...

http://www.bjerknes.uib.no/pages.asp?kat=2&id=170&lang=2

Are they melting or being pushed?

Another study, by Eric Rignot of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., and Pannir Kanagaratnam of the University of Kansas in Lawrence, and published in the Feb. 17 issue of the journal Science, showed Greenland glaciers are melting into the sea twice as fast as previously believed.

I contend the ice chunks are not melting they are being pushed off the edge by the pressure of the interior mass. If the Greenland ice cap is pulling back from the sea I could understand one concluding the ice cap is melting, but it is not, the ice is breaking off at the edges into the sea.

I happened to turn the channel to 60 minutes tonight and learned something that is actually not suprising to me: Reports made by scientists have to go to the white house to be edited before they're published. Lawyers and politicians editing scientific evidence. One edit they showed was changing the sentence "Earth is undergoing significant climate change", and they changed the "is" to "may be". I doubt the politician that edited that had the evidence to back that up. It's obvious they are just trying to make global warming a less important issue than it should be. It's disgusting what they're doing. They are even controlling whether researchers can talk to reporters or not. Just shows that we can't trust certain governments when it comes to this issue.

People do know what is going on, but there are people on both sides of the arguement trying to spin the story to their own purposes.

Here is the link to the story:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/17/60minutes/main1415985.shtml

I am still holding a grudge against 60 minutes and CBS. Nothing from them is credible. Not just the fiasco with the national guard story. They posted a beautiful obituary for Terry Schivo with quotes from her husband about how she went peacefully with him by her side. Very touching. The problem was that it was posted a week before her death. Online for about 4 hours. Amazing the way they could forsee the future like that. Get a better source.

Bear in mind that the media us controlled by the govt. (FCC)

So there is a great deal that they (if they want to keep broadcasting) aren't allowed to tell us. Good Ol Uncle Sam!!!

Government control of the media? Are you serious? It is the only profession guaranteed by the Constitution. If they control the media it is their greatest failure of control.

Bill

...The FCC is just one of many govt. agencies that regulate what we get to see and hear in broadcasts wether they be radio, Tv, Ham, etc.

True, but then if enough of us decide the FCC is out of line we can technically force them to change; democracy & all that. Ahh but if enough of the people don't get to know there is a problem because of the FCC controls then...it's a very nice thing this new-fangled world wide web has come along.

Da cat is outa da bag.

A gentle reminder of the power of the underground media...sshhhh!

To reduce my personal carbon signature & do my part to slow global warming I restrict my recreational driving.:evil:

True, but then if enough of us decide the FCC is out of line we can technically force them to change; democracy & all that. Ahh but if enough of the people don't get to know there is a problem because of the FCC controls then...it's a very nice thing this new-fangled world wide web has come along.

Da cat is outa da bag.

A gentle reminder of the power of the underground media...sshhhh!

To reduce my personal carbon signature & do my part to slow global warming I restrict my recreational driving.:hihi:

So what are some ideas on how to get more people to know about the problem?

Of course there is word-of-mouth, and there's the occasional 60 minutes special.. but i don't think that's enough. Even on the internet, global warming isn't really in your face unless you search for it.

There should be Environment sections on websites most people see every day like msn.com and things like that. There's shopping sections, weather sections, and stuff like that but you can only find stuff about climate change in the world news section.. That's just my idea. Do u think it would work?

I contend the ice chunks are not meltingvvv If the Greenland ice cap is pulling back from the sea I could understand one concluding the ice cap is melting, but it is not, the ice is breaking off at the edges into the sea.

Hi FrankM,

I concede that I'm no geological expert, but my first thought to that statement is it's wrong. Without support, I'll try to explain why.

Solid ice doesn't do too much cracking. Pretty stable under pressure. Ice that is melting, however, has more crystalline faults, and hence would be more succeptible to cracking under pressure. Ice melts at higher temperature and becomes more brittle as it continues melting, and hence the "breaking off at the edges" you describe, in my mind at least, seems to lend support to the idea of melting as a result of higher temperature.

Cheers. :confused:

So what are some ideas on how to get more people to know about the problem?

Isn't that what the weather report is for? And we do things like sweat and shiver. When did we conclude that any human action will make any bit of difference in global weather patterns? I am going to keep my head covered so my scalp doesn't burn when I am outside in the summer and keep the AC set at 72 inside. I bet is stays pretty steady.

Bill

Isn't that what the weather report is for? And we do things like sweat and shiver. When did we conclude that any human action will make any bit of difference in global weather patterns? I am going to keep my head covered so my scalp doesn't burn when I am outside in the summer and keep the AC set at 72 inside. I bet is stays pretty steady.

Bill

dammit.. I had something to say about this post.. but after i posted i have to erase it cause i think i read it wrong.. sorry lol

Here's what I was going to say anyways.. just for conversation.

Weather reports don't talk about global warming. Sweating and shivering aren't signs of global warming.. what do you mean?

It's funny how just picked the topic of global warming by chance, without any real knowledge about it, for the topic in my research paper about a month ago. I wasn't as passionate about it then as I am now. I don't think it's an arguement anymore over whether human activities affect out earth or not. Of course they do. If one volcano can affect the temperatures of the whole earth (or at least a great part of it) then it seems pretty darn possible to me that earth's population of polluters and manufacturers and such can affect at least the speed of weather patterns. Who knows? Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. Maybe the damage will be really bad, maybe it won't. I'm not a scienctists so I can't have a really good theory except for what I choose to believe. But I just think it's better to be safe then sorry. And I really can't see how what man does to the earth can be in any way good (there are no examples of deforestation helping the earth!) or even that it doesn't matter. Maybe that's just me though.

Here's what I was going to say anyways.. just for conversation.

If one volcano can affect the temperatures of the whole earth (or at least a great part of it) then it seems pretty darn possible to me that earth's population of polluters and manufacturers and such can affect at least the speed of weather patterns. Who knows? .... But I just think it's better to be safe then sorry. And I really can't see how what man does to the earth can be in any way good (there are no examples of deforestation helping the earth!) or even that it doesn't matter. Maybe that's just me though.

Conversation good!;) One of the articles I linked to above definatively makes the case that humans burning fossil fuel & deforesting (without replanting) currently produce 130 times the CO2 of all volcanoes on Earth.

The nightly network broadcast news tonight did a story on scientists' new findings indicating the melting of Greenland ice & associating it with global warming. I believe they prefaced the piece with "New evidence the Earth is getting warmer" or some such wording.

Clearly it does matter that we at least understand & prepare for the consequences of a warmer Earth by continuing scientific study & reliably communicating them to everyone. The sound of one hand clapping, is the sound of all hands clapping.

Maybe that's just me though.:(

:hihi:

True, but then if enough of us decide the FCC is out of line we can technically force them to change

You clearly haven't paid attention to what hapens to those that try to go against good ol unkie sam!!!!!!!

Pay close attention to the news pertaining to the govt!!!

Hell right now we are at war over weapons of mass destruction that didn't even exist!!!!!!!! Even worse bush knew it all along!!! They tried to impeach clinton for getting a little action , bush starts a war they wanna pin a Fk'in medal on him WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No Fk'in wonder the rest of the world wants to kick our @$$e$!!!!

Regarding the question about how to get more information to the general puplic, the process is getting somewhere I think:)

The latest Time magazine has a large spread on global warming. I also heard the latest Oprah magazine has an article in it as well (sadly, that will probably get more attention :eek2:).

News is starting to spread, hopefully not too late to do some good.

As for what each of us can do? Ask your state and local representatives about it. Let them know you are concerned. Mention the Time magazine articles to people, get them interested.

For friends that love animals, mention the drowning polar bears and what a shame it is that is happening. Don't say anything else, they will ask, then you can expand on it.

For many people, they will actually LISTEN if they have asked a question. If you just tell them everything up front, many feel as if they are being lectured and won't absorb the material or take it seriously.

My biggest fear is that global warming will really cause global disasters about the time we run out of oil, causing a double whammy.

Mark

The latest Time magazine has a large spread on global warming...

...My biggest fear is that global warming will really cause global disasters about the time we run out of oil, causing a double whammy.

Mark

I need to go get a copy of that magazine and read the article, but from what it gives of the article on their website one thing bugs me. They say that the crisis is upon us suddenly and unexpectedly? Scientists have been studying this for years. Maybe it's just that suddenly and unexpectedly people are starting to listen (which is very good). But it just bugs me that it's just now that people are starting to pay attention. Especially the people who are really supposed to care, like politicians.

And if we start taking action to stop burning so many fossil fuels, then wouldn't that conserve oil as well?

I need to go get a copy of that magazine and read the article, but from what it gives of the article on their website one thing bugs me. They say that the crisis is upon us suddenly and unexpectedly? Scientists have been studying this for years. Maybe it's just that suddenly and unexpectedly people are starting to listen (which is very good). But it just bugs me that it's just now that people are starting to pay attention. Especially the people who are really supposed to care, like politicians.

And if we start taking action to stop burning so many fossil fuels, then wouldn't that conserve oil as well?

Some scientists have been warning people for decades. It seems that lately the effects have started becoming too large to ignore. Some 'scientists' still seem to argue that it isn't an issue (I've read some even say it isn't happening, although I have never seen a direct quote).

I have seen different estimates about the amount of oil left. Some go as far as saying that we have already reached the peak output of the major oil fields and that the amount of oil produced will start declining soon. Some say it isn't an issue:)

Anyone have any sources of recent studies done on either of these topics? I would love to read more.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

not sure if this is really the place to be discussing solutions to the threat which global warming presents, seems kinda off the topic now. anyway, ive got an idea, and only an idea, nothing more than perhaps a temporary solution.

if we want to delay the effects of global warming i.e. coastal flooding and the its associates, and at the same time get water to the drought stricken nations all we have to do is harvest the ice caps.

is that not a plausable route to take? or am i just presenting to the wrong audience?

ice caps hold 70% of the world's fresh water. as they melt it throws off the all the currents and stuff (see "Day After Tomorrow"). if we send out trawlers and tankers to these caps to chip off a few hundred tons of ice to tow back to land, could we not make use of this huge reserve of freshwater?

obviously, its a logistical nightmare, it will be costly and require the coopperation of many countries. but the big question must be asked, will it work?