Science Forums

Why A Naked Ape?

Dabo

Good. But i would subtract the word "wannabe" : S - X(w) = cool again?

AI can stand for lots of things...

including Artificial Insemination as perhaps in your case

good guess...

seriously.

this used to bother me, but meh...just trips me out.

Does anyone else remember, for me it was back in middle school, when one of the meanest things you could call someone was a "test tube baby?"

I think it had to do with wearing clothes. Body hair become less essential for protection against the elements if artificial hair (clothes) is used. From many years of running and wearing socks the hair beneath the socks is thinner than above. Hats are less commonly used than body clothing allowing head hair to remain. The pits and pubes pose a problem with the theory. Unless these areas are retained to collect scent for breeding lure.

The naked ape suggests that bald is more evolved. Lets here it for the chrome dome.

The human animal is different in that it likes to ornament itself with objects of social prestige to give it subjective enhancement. Once the hairy prehumans found animal skin "bling", they lost their real fur.

It could also have been a function of the last ice age. Their fur may have been more for insulation from African heat than for protection against Norwegian cold. They learned to put on a winter coat for cold weather protection. The bling appeal made bear more stylish than yak.

Mankind have shed its hair because of our unspecialized design. This means that we can work hard in the sun, where most other animals will go and lie in the shade and wait for it to get cooler, by radiating heat from our muscles effectively through our naked skins. And conversely, we can colonize the frozen wastes of the far north by killing other animals and assuming their pelts. So we can basically control both extreme heat and cold through the combination of a hairless skin and a brain to invent clothes.

Where we did not lose hair is where we don't have muscles that heat up. Our heads being a case in point, where the hair is beneficial both in heat and cold. Crotches and armpits also don't have muscles that warm up (let's count the number of witty comebacks to that last line...)

Best theory I have heard yet!

Sounds like good old Afrikaaner reasoning to me