Science Forums

Ring Around the Moon?

ingannilo

I've done some searching (both browsing and using the search function) and I haven't found anything really informative regarding this, so I've created my first thread on Hypography.

A few times, usually in more rural areas, in central Florida, and now on a private beach near Santa Cruz here I've seen a very defined ring around the moon, about 170%-190% the size of the moon it's self. Always the same relative size, only in areas with very low light polution.

Can anyone offer an explination?

John

It is called a moon halo - and can also happen to the sun. It is caused by tiny ice crystals, normally from really high thin clouds, the crystals bend the light that came from the moon - because of refractive properties of ice it is mostly around the 22 degrees mark :confused:

crazy stuff.

While I'm asking moon questions, does anyone know why in (or I've only seen it in) mid/late november the moon turns orangeish?

I realize that it's pretty vague, but anyone?

I think it has to be with being low on the horizon, and so the light is passing through more of the atmosphere and you see the slow end of the spectrum. Just like a sunset. A moonset. I think it is also called a Harvest Moon, but that may be wrong.

Bill

Halo it is. Here's a link regarding these phenomena; a photo & discussion of an unusal elliptical halo around the Moon which is still unexplained.

The site has regular articles by Wes Cowley, an expert in optical effects.

http://www.spaceweather.com/index.cgi

From this page got to the upper right corner archive area & enter the date December 13th, 2005 to see the elliptical halo.