Science Forums

Spiritual vs. Religious

InfiniteNow

No... this it not some death match setup with an octagon and eye gouges and joint locks made illegal, but a question asking for your personal opinion on the matter.

I'd like to ask that everybody put some thought into their post (even if you wouldn't normally post in the Theology forum, maybe this is a good opportunity to branch out) and only post in this thread once, but know this might be a stretch. That said...

I consider myself to be spiritual, but not religious. Is there really a difference? If so, what describes this difference? If there is no difference, what are you using to justify your point? Any other thoughts that I may have forgotten? Please include.

Just one post by all? I'll give that an Absolute Maybe. :)

Curiously,

EDIT: Post as often as you wish. It was a good idea, but poorly implemented. There have been no arguments in the thread, just open sharing. That's what I wanted anyway. Cheers. :)

IMHO, because really that is what you are asking for, the difference would be subscribing to one religious thought (the doctrines etc associated with the religion) where someone who calls themself spiritual would either be non-denominational or agnostic in some fashion.

Funny thing is from my understanding of Hinduism (a religion with many deities, possibly in the hundreds) each person who is of the Hindu belief may worship only one God, though believe that there are others that could be worshipped. So I guess it depends on how broad you want to make the term religion. In this case I would suggest making worship of each different particular god in that religion a different denomination (if in nothing else but in name). Would that be possible if there isn't a particular way in which that God wants to be worshipped? You'd have to know what the different holy books say.

This also sort of falls into the lines of my earlier thread of religion vs. philosophy if anyone wants to take a look at that before commenting.

There can be a difference.

Religion + Zealots = Muhammed Drawings debacle...

When some dude asked Buddha:

"Are you a man or a God?"

Buddha replied, "I am Awake" :)

Spiritual and/or religious is a matter of perception.

I heard a long time ago, in a Galaxy far, far away...

And I will never forget it...

"Reality Is..., the Reality You Create".

I consider myself to be spiritual, but not religious. Is there really a difference? If so, what describes this difference?

___Spiritual refers to an individual's feeling/belief in something larger & intangible than one's self. Religion refers to organizations of people with similar spiritual feelings/beliefs intent on convincing others of the truth of those feelings/beliefs.

:)

___Spiritual refers to an individual's feeling/belief in something larger & intangible than one's self. Religion refers to organizations of people with similar spiritual feelings/beliefs intent on convincing others of the truth of those feelings/beliefs.

:)

With that said, our universal mind makes me cringe with spirituality in the lotus position. *Nods peacefully

Well minus the intent on convincing part, because some "religions" do not feel this is necessary.

Oh cwes... you had to be the first. :)

I'd like to ask that everybody put some thought into their post and only post in this thread once.

My hope is to hear honest opinions and prevent needless arguments...

EDIT: Post as often as you wish. It was a good idea, but poorly implemented. There have been no arguments in the thread, just open sharing. That's what I wanted anyway. Cheers. :lol:

Religion is a set of practices that one believes in. It would be perfectly acceptable (in normal usage) to suggest that one execirses religiously. "Religion" does not require a church. It is true that we we speak of "organized religion", we usually mean a set of folks that adopt the same practices.

There is only a circumspect relationship between religious practices and religious doctrine (i.e., teachings).

Spitiruality is a personal connection. You can argue that the personal connection is to other people or to God. But a personal is spiritual to the extent that they value things unseen. Ergo, you can be spiritual and well founded or spiritual and completely nutty.

Spiritual refers to an individual's feeling/belief in something larger & intangible than one's self.... [/right]

I have fought with this word "spiritual" for 40 years. Ever since I tried so hard to be a fundementalist Bible thumper... and failed.

After 40 years, I have come up with this interpretation:

Spirituality is the ART of crafting a worthwhile and fulfilled Life, by conciously building workable and productive "bridges" between:

1. your mind and your body;

2. your mind and your emotions/needs/cravings;

3. your self and other human beings;

4. your duties and society;

5. your existence and your mortality;

6. your understanding and the cosmic expanse of reality;

7. your capabilities and your accomplishments.

8. your interests and your contributions.

In other words, you're a Bonsai Tree! :hyper:

In other words, you're a Bonsai Tree! :eek2:

I really like your analogy of being a Bonsai tree... or, more accurately, I really like how I perceive your statement about us being Bonsai trees...

Let me ask, what would you analogize as being our source of food/light/water? Into what do those resources translate?

:shrug:

I really like your analogy of being a Bonsai tree...what would you analogize as being our source of food/light/water?...

Thank you.

Being clear that no analogy is ever perfect, and many are not even useful, here goes...

Our spiritual "inputs" would be our relationships with other humans, special events that take our breath away, insights, and of course, suffering. We have to find ways to "integrate" these into the ever-becoming Bonsai of our spirit-being. If we're not careful, the Bonsai will become lop-sided, weak, scraggly. Limbs may break off, rendering us unable to engage in certain kinds of relationships. If we are careful and patient, all of these inputs can be crafted into a whole and healthy interlock of talents and spiritual skills.

A spiritual skill would be the ability to foster and enhance relationships--to build those "bridges" I spoke of in my last post.

Our spiritual "inputs" would be our relationships with other humans, special events that take our breath away, insights, and of course, suffering.

Thanks Pyrotex... Well said.

To extend the analogy then, we could say that there are seeds dropped by the tree as well... the seeds are representative of growth and new life, whereby teaching or sharing our experience of spirituality in an open and non-assuming way with another helps add to the proverbial forest.

Cheers. :shrug:

I really like your analogy of being a Bonsai tree... or, more accurately, I really like how I perceive your statement about us being Bonsai trees...

Let me ask, what would you analogize as being our source of food/light/water? Into what do those resources translate?

:shrug:

:eek2: Ah InfiniteNow, you would have to be the second one.

This makes me the third double poster! :eek2:

There will be many a sin to atone for Now, by God!

I better start getting religious :eek2: