Science Forums

Adolescent fascination

InfiniteNow

Why are humans so fascinated by seemingly adolescent topics and concepts?
I for one do not believe there is a biological divide between adolescent mentality and any other. It is an artificial cultural distinction foisted on youth to compel them to conform.
I mean, why is a fart so funny?
Beats me

Why can you not help but laugh at the term booger?

DamifIknow

Why am I so captivated by a beautiful pair of breasts?

How can I fall so far into the eyes of a beautiful woman, as if they were black holes?

These are a manifestation of you lack of fulfillment of several basic needs. Are you single?

Why are the stars so intriguing?

seach me.

Is it just some relic of our development, or is there something more to it all?

There is a basic human need for continued mental, emotional and physical development I would consider those who move past a developmental stage to be dysfunctional. In short we never stop being children.

You guys should check out something called the "waist to hip ratio." It's exactly what you are talking about, just made scientific. A guy named Devendra Singh, an old professor of mine, is credited with coming up with it. Females should be 0.7 and males 0.9... roughly. Despite how heavy or big boned you are, if your ratio is close the above, you are seen as fertile and healthy... it's not cultural either, but confirmed across the globe and across cultures.
Interesting, but I have never been to keen on notion of the ideal body. I find that I am attracted to a very broad range of broads. Young old, short tall, big nose, big feet, big hands, big teeth. I even like chubby though not obese.

Some say that dear old Mom may provide your prototype but I think this is more along the lines of personality and intellect rather than appearance. Though on can have a subconscious associations of a personality type with a body type.

There was a selective pressure in my choice of mates. I consciously chose my wife over here rivals for her courage and tenacity, though I have paid for that many times over, and for her large stature and sturdy build. Let me clarify lest she peak over my shoulder. My wife is heavily muscled for a woman and 5,8.

• 3 weeks later...

The draw toward breasts does not appear to be universal. It is more cultural. Americans really love 'em, but not all regions on the planet feel the same.

In some cultures, a long neck is really attractive...

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/japanese-neck-stretcher

...or tiny feet...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding

...or head flattening and lip stretching...

http://www.fashion-era.com/beauty_is_shape.htm#Head%20Flattening,%20Elongation%20And%20Lip%20Stretching

My question, however, was meant to be broader than just "breasts."

• 9 months later...

Okay... how about this... Why is masturbation funny? Lots of people tend to punk their friends, whether lovingly or maliciously, by saying they masturbate. I mean, I'd bet that a SIGNIFICANT percentage of the population has masturbated... so what inside of us makes us "adolescent" or "immature" to make fun of others for something we've (most) all done ourselves?

Then, this one time, in band camp... :doh:

Okay... how about this... Why is masturbation funny? Lots of people tend to punk their friends, whether lovingly or maliciously, by saying they masturbate. I mean, I'd bet that a SIGNIFICANT percentage of the population has masturbated... so what inside of us makes us "adolescent" or "immature" to make fun of others for something we've (most) all done ourselves?

Then, this one time, in band camp... ;)

According to The Kinsey Institute 98% of males and 44% of females in college do.

The Kinsey Institute - Sexuality Information Links - FAQ [Related Resources]

It has to do with the archetype of the trickster figure. This is the baffoon in all of us, mostly men, half human and half animal. By making fun of it, by projecting it onto others, we are able to domesticate it. The little child within the man a little human animal who become more cultural human as an adult. In the middle, near and during adolesence is the trickster halfway house. This inner natural comedian never seems to grow out of men, unless a tough women is able to break you.

It has to do with the archetype of the trickster figure.

I like the idea, and think it has merit. Has it been studied any? I don't recall this while reading the works of Jung...

This is the baffoon in all of us, mostly men, half human and half animal.

Curious. Men are evolved from animals...animals from plants... plants from bacteria... bacteria from molecules... :blahblahblah:

Where lies the distinction?

Anyhow, baffoon indeed. :)

By making fun of it, by projecting it onto others, we are able to domesticate it.

So you see us a repressing a natural urge... feeling it inappropriate. So by "projecting it" onto others, we can approach the concept sans guilt?

The little child within the man a little human animal who become more cultural human as an adult.

I don't follow. ;)

In the middle, near and during adolesence is the trickster halfway house. This inner natural comedian never seems to grow out of men

So, you're suggesting that we all reach a point in our lives, at a certain age, where we let go of childish things and move into more intellectual spheres of the world? That men tend less often to let go of those things than females?

unless a tough women is able to break you.

:rotfl:

According to The Kinsey Institute 98% of males and 44% of females in college do.

Actually, according to Pinkerton, Bogul, Cecil, and Abramson. :blahblahblah:

Also, these self-reports will tend to under report actual numbers, as participants, despite the promise of anonymity, will still lie to themselves and hence will not be forthright on a questionnaire. ;)