Science Forums

Red eye

Drip Curl Magic

ok, so, I've been told in the past that the reason you get red eye in pictures is because the flash reflects off of your blood vessels in the back of your pupil or something like that.

And if that's true then... why are animals different?

If red eye was caused by blood vessel reflections... then why do dogs and cats always turn out with blue/green/yellow/white eye in pictures?

if you have no idea what I'm talking about.... here are some pictures of my animals....

With blue eye:

With green eye:

With yellow eye:

And white eye:

And what I find stange... is that... out of all of the hundreds of pictures I have of my animals... I still have yet to see one red eye picture. What is the difference between human and animal eyes that causes this?

Am I mistaken as to what causes red eye? And if so... what exactly is it that causes red eye.... and why do animals get blue/green/yellow/white eye??

Found some info about that here:

When you take photos of animals, the red eye effect can be quite different. Animals have a reflective layer in the back of their eyes behind the retina called the tapetum. This layer enhances their night vision. The colour of the tapetum gives you blue, green, yellow, or white eye effect. With animals, the effect can have place even when the ambient light is sufficient to prevent it in humans.

http://www.colorpilot.com/redeye_effect.html

BTW, nice pics up there! :eek2: