Science Forums

2006 Winter Olympics

Turtle

:hihi: Torino is 9 hours ahead of me so the games have already started. I like watching Olympics Winter or Summer & I plan to plant myself in front of the tube with a thermos of coffee in just a short few minutes.

Do you watch Olympics? Do you think they promote good behavior & world relations? What's your favorite Winter Olympic event?

Discuss.:hihi:

PS Goooooo Ono!

Anything can be a metaphor for life.

The Olympics don't constitute a metaphor for living; they constitute living. It is real diverse people from the entire real world really not killing each other in really large groups. The cooperation is grand, the technology is grand, the athletes are grand, & for all the sham & drudgery of life the Olympics shine a ray of hope in the possibility of people coperating like this all the time.

___The show starts here in 20 minutes; I'll be watching.:hihi:

You left out the 5000 metre speed skate?! We have a new guy Chad Hedrick who has switched from in-line roller skates to ice. In just a year & a half he is winning championships.

Let's not talk any more about the 5000 metre race. :eek:

I like biathlon (sp?) too as I used to shoot a lot; those hi-tech rifles amaze me! Many years ago I skied a few seasons, but I found it too expensive.

Cross-country skiing is cheap...alpine skiing is rather expensive.

BTW we got silver and bronze in the 20K biathlon today. :hihi:

Well, technically I am not talking about the 5000m, but rather typing about it.:) I actually missed watching the heat Hedrick skated for the Gold, but I saw the final heat with the Italian & Norwegian; good stuff! I cheered for the Norsk, but to no avail, & the Italians win was the first for their country.

Oh no! Ohno, not Ono. I misspelled the skater's name in the first post. In retrospect, it's funny because Yoco Ono read some of John Lennon's Imagine at the opening ceremony. Imagine all the people...no religion to...:hihi:

Tormod has the edge on the news as he lives in the same time zone. Gooooo Norsk! ;)

I actually missed watching the heat Hedrick skated for the Gold, but I saw the final heat with the Italian & Norwegian; good stuff! I cheered for the Norsk, but to no avail, & the Italians win was the first for their country.

Yeah, good for them! They also beat us in the 2x15k cross country...their first gold this time I think! Di Centa, who won, is the same guy who helped Italy beat our national team in a cross-country relay in the olympics at Nagano (IIRC).

Go Italy! :hihi:

I would like to see some of the Olympic sports that don't need summertime or wintertime be moved to a new Olympic games. Bowling, Chess, Indoor shooting, wrestling, boxing, weight lifting. It would be the "Indoor Olympics". Table tennis, badminton, judo, tai-kwan-do, gymnastics. Water sports would stay in the summer, and ice sports would stay in the winter, despit the fact that they happing mostly indoors anymore. You could even add indoor-track to the indoor games.

By doing this you could provide more thurough coverage to the featrue sports, while bringing the obscure sports to their own elevated position. Plus the host of the indoor games could be a much smaller city, allowing the wealth of the games to be spread around some more.

More Olympics is more fun for everyone!

Bill

I would like to see some of the Olympic sports that don't need summertime or wintertime be moved to a new Olympic games. Bowling, Chess, Indoor shooting, wrestling, boxing, weight lifting. It would be the "Indoor Olympics". Table tennis, badminton, judo, tai-kwan-do, gymnastics.

Bill

Sacre bleu!

Methinks you've gone off your rocker!! I might go for the suggestion of an indoor Olympics, but you have just GOT to leave gymnastics in the summer games. I mean, would the '84's have been nearly as special without Mary lou? I THINK NOT.

To me, Gymnastics IS the Summer Games.

Yes, I enjoy the swimming events. I really get into the softball games. I watch many of the other events. But the main focus, and I mean the stay-up-until-all-hours-and-set-the-Tivo focus here, is the gymnastics events.

Sorry, BigDog, but don't touch my balance beam in July, thank you very much!

Sacre bleu!

Methinks you've gone off your rocker!! I might go for the suggestion of an indoor Olympics, but you have just GOT to leave gymnastics in the summer games. I mean, would the '84's have been nearly as special without Mary lou? I THINK NOT.

To me, Gymnastics IS the Summer Games.

Yes, I enjoy the swimming events. I really get into the softball games. I watch many of the other events. But the main focus, and I mean the stay-up-until-all-hours-and-set-the-Tivo focus here, is the gymnastics events.

Sorry, BigDog, but don't touch my balance beam in July, thank you very much!

Me and my rocker have been apart for years. :hihi:

I think there is plenty of room for negotiation here. Gymnastics are kinda like the Figure Skating of the summer games. At least their red-headed stepsister Rythmic Gymnastics could be an indoor sport.:)

While we are at it... Basketball, Indoor Soccer, Team Handball, Racketball, Squash, Volley Ball.

Bill