Science Forums

Ac electrolysis

matrixscarface

Can electrolysis of water be acheived with ac current?? :cup:
As a matter of precaution, I wouldn't suggest trying to use household current directly for this purpose. I've experimented with electrolysis many times and have always used DC current as my source of power. This can be done either by using batteries or DC generators of one type or another. I've found that prodigious amounts of Hydrogen and Oxygen can be liberated from water by using a DC generator driven by a common 110 volt single phase motor. One note; Adding small amounts of an electrolyte such as salt or soda to the water will increase production in this process...............Infy

I wondered this myself.

But I can see that trying to seperate oxygen and hydrogen bonds with AC would be sort of like trying to shovel dirt out of a hole by chucking it agains the walls in different directions.

Since electroysis is the process of removing electrons from materials and adding it to others. You can see where alternating electrons side to side is going to create issues.

However, maybe it is possible.. I just gathered it would not work. I'd like to know if any experiments with super high ocilations has been tried with electrolysis. 1million cycles per second type of AC instead of 60 cycles/sec

I wondered this myself.

But I can see that trying to seperate oxygen and hydrogen bonds with AC would be sort of like trying to shovel dirt out of a hole by chucking it agains the walls in different directions.

Since electroysis is the process of removing electrons from materials and adding it to others. You can see where alternating electrons side to side is going to create issues.

However, maybe it is possible.. I just gathered it would not work. I'd like to know if any experiments with super high ocilations has been tried with electrolysis. 1million cycles per second type of AC instead of 60 cycles/sec

Following the same chain of logic you used earlier in your post I would say that a high frequency would lead to even less chance of doing anything - an ultra low frequency may do something...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Last night, I experimented with AC current in salt water.

I used a straight plug in, no adapter.. just stripped the wires and put them in the solution.. so I was putting the full current from the socket into the salt water solution. It was very interesting. I am no chemistry expert at all, but this is what happened:

One of the wires sparked violently in the solution, and in mere SECONDS the solution changed from clear to dark, murky green. I didnt experiment for long, because the plug that I was inserting into the AC socket was actually MELTING, and at one point I had trouble pulling it out of the socket because it had melted in there.. extremely dangerous situation, I don't suggest you try it unless you have some kind of adapter that reduces the ammount of power going into the solution.

I'm perplexxed, why did the solution become green? I don't know alot about chemistry, but if salt is NaCl, and Chlorine is a greenish color, I suspect that is what was in the solution after putting AC through it but I don't know.

Please, any input is greatly appreciated.

I'm perplexxed, why did the solution become green?

I don't know alot...

Please, any input is greatly appreciated.

___The green is likely copper.

___Ya got that right.

___You might have burned the building down & killed yourself or others! Think man!:) Get ahold of a model train transformer; it usually has 17 VAC & a variable DC voltage with reversable polarity. :eek2:

I'm perplexxed, why did the solution become green? I don't know alot about chemistry, but if salt is NaCl, and Chlorine is a greenish color, I suspect that is what was in the solution after putting AC through it but I don't know.

That is a fairly logical deduction - but I still doubt it. For Chlorine to be green it has to be in gaseous form, wich means from its Cl- it has to give up the extra electon. Chlorine is a very (one of the highest) electonegative element so when you are doing standard electrolisis the one losing electrons will be the oxidant with the smallest e^0 value that is present in the solution. And as it so happens that H2O is present and is more readily oxidised than Cl- it will be the one losing the electrons. BUT if you have an very high concentration of NaCl then some electrolysis of Cl- can occur and you should have had bubbles not a green solution...

I was thinking that if you put wires in the solution then they are copper wires so when copper oxidises it becomes green.:eek2:

• 6 months later...

I am a bit perplexed with the various posts. Here in India, people often dip two wires connected sometimes to two shaving blades and directly connect them to AC for heating water without the help of a heating element; and it works without any green colours being observed. This practice is fairly widely practiced. IN fact one does see bubbles of gas escaping from the blades. I think, the green colour etc. is because of high current density, because of very thin electrodes placed very close to one another.

I am a bit perplexed with the various posts. Here in India, people often dip two wires connected sometimes to two shaving blades and directly connect them to AC for heating water without the help of a heating element;

Definitely not a practice to be recommended... :) ...:hihi:

and it works without any green colours being observed.

Most likely because shaving blades aren't made of copper. See if you can find old coins - where they've oxydised, they've got green gunk on it. It's copper "rust", if you will.

This practice is fairly widely practiced. IN fact one does see bubbles of gas escaping from the blades.

Being AC, that's most likely bubbles of steam forming on the blade surface, very much like a kettle element would create tiny bubbles of gas which will grow bigger and bigger as the water warms up till the whole lot eventually boils.

I think, the green colour etc. is because of high current density, because of very thin electrodes placed very close to one another.
Nah - most likely copper. And the reason making a dead short through shaving blades don't melt your wall plug is because it's actually heating up because of higher resistance - the current is actually doing some work. Same with a kettle element, which is also a dead short. It has high resistance, so the current flow will have to do some work in passing through it, resulting in warming the element up. When dead-shorting naked copper wire, especially in a saline solution, there's not a lot of effort for the electrons to pass, and it should actually trip your DB box before the plug could melt.

Don't try any of this at home, kids...:doh: