Science Forums

Google censors Google for China

InfiniteNow

My understanding is that google.com is not censored. However it is slow as molasses from China. Google.cn is speedy as it doesn't have to go through the great firewall of China, or something of that sort. However, Google has stripped results that the Chinese government doesn't like.

In any event, I have no issue with Google. China censors books, magazines, news and other media. I don't see why they wouldn't censor the internet.

I do have an issue with the Chinese government censoring the media, but not with the media companies that allow this (as it is currently the price of access to the Chinese market).

• 2 weeks later...
If you were asked to guess, what would YOU think the reason is? :)

Gollum is based on PHP and Javascript using XMLHttp request for communication, better known as Ajax. That means, there is no need for databases and the code is ready for PHP5. Therefore, the client is only required to use a browser like Firefox, MS Internet Explorer, Netscape or Safari with activated Javascript. Safari has yet to be tested.

The censorship is a possible explanation. Maybe there are some information the Chinese government does not like. However since it is available after it is reloaded by Gollum, I guess Internet Router is more likey to be the reason.

The censorship is a possible explanation. Maybe there are some information the Chinese government does not like. However since it is available after it is reloaded by Gollum, I guess Internet Router is more likey to be the reason.

They more than likely alter your routers before you get them. I find it funny after all the time money and resources they use to censor information, and it is as simple as someone writing a browser and their efforts failed, pitiful.