Science Forums

Moral Compass - how do you stay on course?

TheBigDog

coberst:

For a 12 to 18 years period from the age of 6 to our mid twenties we have lived constantly in an educational system wherein we seldom if ever learned to function intellectually independent of outside direction.
lol. A man or woman after my own heart. 'Heart of my heart, I love that melody...When we were kids on the corner of the street...'

Sorry, I just love it when someone else sings along with the same tune.

Welcome to the discussions. :)

For a 12 to 18 years period from the age of 6 to our mid twenties we have lived constantly in an educational system wherein we seldom if ever learned to function intellectually independent of outside direction.

How is it possible for such an individual to develop the internal processes (bootstrap) that allow him or her to become an independent critically self-conscious thinker?

My schools may have been an exception, we had a number of courses teaching independant and critical thinking.

One of them called 'Critical Thinking' :)

I also took philosophy 101 which was a great course about structures of arguments and critical thinking.

Most every science class I took discussed the scientific theory which rests upon experimentation and objectively looking at results.

I realize we don't teach logic and critical thinking courses in the US as a standard. I feel that would help many people and think that would be a great step towards helping people think critacally and objectively.

Many many years ago I was in a critical thinking class.

Loved logic courses and experimental labs where you really got to see logic in action.

We had a ton of fun in our logic course taking apart political and sale TV ads. It was distressingly easy to do;)

Z

I think CT is like Chess. It is easy to learn the moves of the individual pieces but there is so much more beyond that initial accomplishment.

The neophyte learns the moves that each piece can make, plays a few games and wanders away bewildered as to why anyone could take this matter seriously.

Like chess Critical Thinking is an asset that can influence the judgments one makes in all matters in their life. It can be a strategic tool or a tactical tool—it can change ones world view. It gives in accordance to the investment made.

A very important component of CT is attitude.

• 3 months later...

1) What do you think the purpose of a value system is?

2) How do you judge what is right to do, and what is wrong to do?

3) How do you discipline yourself to not stray from those values that you have defined?

4) How would society benefit it more people lived by your values?

5) What do you do to instill values in your children?

6) Would you be willing to share your personal "Ten Commandments"

1. The purpose of a value system is that it should support, comfort and make life easier for those around us, thus if someone breaks that value, others feel those affects.

2. I judge what is right and wrong to do by my actions and the resulting consequence, laws are enforced in the world, therefore I'm not going to murder someone, it's not part of my value system and it has a consequence. People are brought up in a society based around these laws, even if the laws weren't there, basing your life around right and wrong is normal as most criminals know their doing wrong.

3. Roughly same answer as number 2. Although I don't need to discipline myself as I know what is right and wrong from my response above.

4. Society would be like a cake if followed by my values. Enjoyable, Worth Getting and Nice.

5. Don't have children yet.

6. My Ten Commandments:

1. Don't do to others as they wouldn't do to you.

2. Live Life and not destroy it or others.

3. Do Not Participate In Any Other Crimes Against Humanity.

4. Support Others as They Should Support You.

I can't think of any other main ones.

No. That is the realm of ethics, which deal with how we interact. Morality is a personal matter, and should not be influenced by the wishes of others.

Ethics is merely an external manifestation of internal morality. And the way one's morality dictates their interactions is not necessarily influenced by the wishes of others. In fact, the concept of a liveable society has nothing to do with pleasing people. It is an idea based on the principle of morality being reciprocated.

Nevertheless, one can choose to live by their morality even when it is not reciprocated. Indeed, ethics that are unconditional is the essence of autonomy.