Science Forums

War on drugs

inside the sun

hmm wars on drugs are mostly just wars on drugs but I understand how people can feel that they lose their freedom when others tell them what they can not do.

I personally dont do drugs but dont hold it against others. In my humble opinion, people should be allowed to make their own decisions even though I must admit that once people become addicted to drugs they arent capable of keeping their own personal freedom (it's the drugs that have control over them)

that is a very good point you brought up.

i talked about that point today with my teacher.

we talked about how on girls gone wild the girls are paid with drugs

cocaine, e, alcohol etc.

and of course the attention.

and that its hard to feel sorry for someone that does something like that to themselves, its hard to feel sorry for people that bring things like that on themselves.

but look at it your way, there is a reason to feel sorry, because they have lost control, and the drug has taken over, and if they knew what was going on, they'd do something, but they can't..yeah that sucks. but just cuz some epople abuse it, and ruin it, doesnt mean the moral decision should be illegal

whats next, will sex be illegal?

because people abuse that?

Use that?

Take advanatage of it

it ****s people over physcologically too.

damn hmm, oh yeah, lets just make every god damn moral decision illegal.

it's true that sex gets abused and can **** people over!

but yeah like I was kinda saying before I dont think that it's fair to make things illegal because of the chance that it might hurt some people.

I never knew that the girls on "Girls Gone Wild" get paid with drugs and/or alcohol. I find that interesting (in general I find it interesting what motivates people to do the things they do)

I think they go over board when they bust kids that have a little pot, but hardcore heroin addicts, well that’s another story. I don’t necessarily think that people should be put in jail when they are caught with drugs; they need to be put in rehab not jail. What is the point of sticking them in jail if they don’t try to help them get better?

I think entheogenic drugs should be free for everyone to own/ingest any time they want.

I think Stimulant drugs should be used in moderation....

I think any inhalents should just be left untouched.

It's all a war on drugs.... but unfortunately, very few understand drugs enough to know what should be legal and what shouldn't be legal.

The legality or ilegality of drugs really only exists to maintain the social norms established by the government in the 60's. We keep the war on drugs going because part of us is defined by our dislike of drugs (i assume it's the hard-working Puritanical part). Thus, to maintain that facet of our identity, we must punish people who would challange that identity. We throw them in jail!

Laws exist to perpetuate the social norms of the society in which they were created.

The legality or ilegality of drugs really only exists to maintain the social norms established by the government in the 60's. We keep the war on drugs going because part of us is defined by our dislike of drugs (i assume it's the hard-working Puritanical part). Thus, to maintain that facet of our identity, we must punish people who would challange that identity. We throw them in jail!

Laws exist to perpetuate the social norms of the society in which they were created.

I disagree. The war on drugs is the only recourse our government can come up with to address the major social problem of our times -- the cycle of poverty.

so wait. sex, under the defintion of drugs, it says something about effecting the centeral nervous system, and addiction, something about changing, well, sex changes people, def. effects nerves, and is addicting. Now it can be abused, why isn't this morality illegal. You see, the reason drugs are legal is because of their unpredictability. the fact that one person gets stoned and draws, the other person can get high and shoot someone...i highly doubt this with weed, but lets stay open minded. now, look, sex, one person can have good healthy sex, another person can rape or molest someone. Why, our some morals left as morals and legal and some dubbed ILLEGAL. It isn't fair. Even using a firearm in a sense is a drug, can be addicting, def. effects your nerves making you feel powerful, and what not. and once again, some people can just shoot clay disc or animals, and some people shoot people. why is this morality legal when another morality such as mushrooms, is illegal. It is ridiculous, can we please stop JUSTIFYING these laws, we probably have given more reasons of why they are legal than the government has ever thought of. we want to justify it, but we shouldn't we need to accept it is ****ing bullshit..pardon my language, and lets start a revolution. we place people in jail that cant handle the moral decisons we face, some people can be good kids, some people kill. punish those who deserve it, not the WHOLE. I think we shouldn't be punishing people that create beautiful art under the influence of drugs because another person robs a liquor store high on drugs. revolution please, along with evolution.:rainbow:

The so-called war on drugs is the same as any war. Those at the top start the war to reap the benefits, while the people at the bottom pay the price. How about making the leaders fight the war. Maybe President Bush can have a cage match with the top drug kingpin. Everyone else can reaped the benefit.

Seriously, the war on drugs is there to create jobs. Consider how many jobs its creates. There are high paying tax free jobs for the inner city. There are many jobs for lawyers, law enforcement, criminal justice system, the prison system, the rehab system, etc., plus the multiplier effect that results as this seed money goes back into the economy. If we decided the drug war was another Viet Nam, that was a non righteous money pit that could never be won (WWI, WWII, Korean, Viet Nam, Persian Gulf all combined took less time to complete), many jobs would be lost.

To me it does not seem fair that we enslave (inprison) a good fraction of the American people to justify all these jobs. Maybe we can spread out the jobs and imprisonment more fairly. For example, we will create silly laws that guarentee that 20% of all the lawyers be in jail at all times. The former imprisoned personal consumption drug users can parlee that into a good paying job. It would not cost any more; redistributing the benefit/liabilty distribution of jobs.

If we are having a war against drugs, does that make all those imprisoned by the war on drugs, POW's. As POW's are they not entitled to the laws of the Geneva Convention. What the war on drugs also means is that our government is waging war againsts it own citizens. I am no expert, but isn't this illegal under the Constitution?

The government can never win this war because American's will never allow tyranny to rule. This war is creating causualties on both sides. The addicted are the wounded of this war. Addiction is an artifact of prohibtion creating temptation. But in this case, the enhanced tempation is a direct protest against increased tyranny.

Those who are activists against the war on drugs, use these arguments freely if you desire.

If we are having a war against drugs, does that make all those imprisoned by the war on drugs, POW's. As POW's are they not entitled to the laws of the Geneva Convention. What the war on drugs also means is that our government is waging war againsts it own citizens. I am no expert, but isn't this illegal under the Constitution?

The government can never win this war because American's will never allow tyranny to rule. This war is creating causualties on both sides. The addicted are the wounded of this war. Addiction is an artifact of prohibtion creating temptation. But in this case, the enhanced tempation is a direct protest against increased tyranny.

Those who are activists against the war on drugs, use these arguments freely if you desire.

i love you