Science Forums

Antimatter responds to gravity like Einstein predicted, major CERN experiment confirms

Vmedvil

It seems antimatter responds to gravity like Einstein predicted according to major CERN experiment, read more at Antimatter responds to gravity like Einstein predicted, major CERN experiment confirms (msn.com)

Many people on this forum have said that Einstein is wrong in the past, do you think in light of this experiment that Einstein's theories are more credible now than before since antimatter behaves according to Einstein's theories of gravity?

I would find it to be very disturbing if gravity didn’t act the same way on matter and antimatter.

The only difference between the two types of matter is reversed electrical charge, and we already know that gravity acts the same way (attracts) both positive charged bodies and negative charged bodies.

Therefore, it is logical to conclude gravity will act the same way on antimatter as it does on matter.

Even though the answer can be arrived at logically and intuitively, it is a bit reassuring that it has been experimentally verified.

But I don’t see this particular experiment to be of such great significance that it has any effect on Einstein’s reputation as one of the greatest scientists of all time; and there will always be people who think they understand Physics better than he did!

Now someone needs to discover why there is so much more matter in the Universe than antimatter.

That’s where a Nobel Prize is waiting.

On 9/28/2023 at 10:13 PM, Moontanman said:

Yeah... I know antimatter is attractive to matter but think how much more interesting and useful antimatter would have been if it was antimass too. 

Would you care to elaborate a bit on that?

Since antimatter has mass, I don't see how it could even exist if it was anti mass, but maybe you have considered something that I missed.

7 hours ago, OceanBreeze said:

Would you care to elaborate a bit on that?

Since antimatter has mass, I don't see how it could even exist if it was anti mass, but maybe you have considered something that I missed.

Well anti mass is, at least hypothetically, not impossible but no indication of that was found in antimatter. If you had an anti mass object and it was connected to an object with mass they would accelerate forever with no expenditure of energy, violating many laws in the process, a neat trick if you can do it. Lots of wild things happen if you allow imaginary numbers in your equations... like warp drive. 

• 3 weeks later...

The recent experiment at CERN through the ALPHA collaboration revealed that, contrary to some speculations, antimatter responds to gravity in the same manner as ordinary matter, adhering to Einstein's predictions of gravity outlined in his general theory of relativity. This confirmation adds credibility to Einstein's theories, debunking claims of his inaccuracies concerning gravity's effect on antimatter. These findings not only uphold Einstein's gravitational theory but further our understanding of antimatter's behavior, potentially aiding in solving cosmic mysteries like the scarcity of antimatter in the universe. For further details, you can check the provided article.