Science Forums

Phones tomorrow

Hi everybody!

I am new to science forums and this is my first post. In India, at present there is a strong wave for mobiles, more and more companies are offering very affordable packages. I wonder how far can it go. Can the available spectrum of radio frequency alloted to mobile telephony accomodate all the people who may be keen to have a mobile and would like to talk to others at an instance of time? Is there a possibility of saturation of networks? If yes, what would be the newer options? Any ideas?

Yes, you can saturate the networks; you'll get a long beep and a 'network busy' message on your handset.

no, the current allotment of spectrum can't handle every last mobile making a phone call at the same time with the current technology; but that's why they widen the bandwidth and change the code once in a while (analog -> digital -> 1RxTT -> ?).

Well, so far there is bandwidth available, but is bandwidth infinite? that more and more can be made available to the service providers of mobile phones. Obviously at some point in time all the available bandwidth will be exhausted. what then? It is such a scenario that I am looking at.

I believe, that ultimately we would have to look beyond telecommunication, that is, communication not based on electromagnetic waves. Doesn't telepathy offers some hints. All most all of us experience some form of telepathy sometime or the other. How does it happen? Can it be transformed into a communication technology?

In the future, we'll have a mixture of poles coming out of the ground that lengthen a wireless connection. Somewhat like the devices used to extend the distance of waves while keeping the attributes of the wave the same. These will most likely be poles in the ground similar to phone poles, but perhaps smaller. The only problem would be keeping them protected, so I'd assume they would have to be on top of street lights or something.

By doing this, more people would be allowed to use wireless technology without using up so many phone lines.

perhaps make a picture of my dreams world?

And to think I could have had a patent on this beforehand. :)

Of course in this future there is rapid prototyping for houses and everything is communist, that's what makes everything so efficient and equal.

We currently use this system underground for Mars.

hallenrm, there is no doubt in my mind that we will abandon telecon sometime in the future, the problem then becomes, what do we use for communication? there is a lot of experimenting with sister atoms, provides a way of transmitting and receiving information faster then the speed of light (quantum networks). but before we do that, i was thinking. frealistically, we will only have a need to change electromagnetic communication if we have the hardware that will support faster speeds. The problem i see is this, OK, we can get tranfers speeds up to a terabyte a second, fine, now what do we do? hardware still operates on electromagnetism, there is still a low 10 gig bandwidth mark on memory controllers (and thats on a cell processor machine, need i mention that no other home computing device has such a bandwidth yet, and PS3 is not out yet...), then there is the ide/scsi/sata bw restriction, because hight bw is first introduced on mainframes, then it moves to severs, then pcs and only then portables, also you have to have a device to interpret the info before it feeds it into the mobo, if you are talking pc, while we are on that, there is also a pci-like bus to consider... really, the technology is not yet developed enough to have such great transport bandwidth, and probably for a while dont have to change the telecom standard, simply because it is the same principal used behind the technology that would have to run the new standart (whatever it may be, miniarute black holes, time space continuum rips, sister atoms... whatever it is)...

Here is a radically new idea. How about the possibility that scientists discover totally new kinds of waves that are transmitted and by genetic material. People who have certain genetic similarities may be able to transmit and receive messages from people in the group. What I am hinting at is phones based on some future biotechnology, may be nano organisms and N-rays

As cool as it would be to send & receive thoughts, I highly doubt that such a communications system would be based on anything other than EM and/or cybernetics, if at all.

That being said, DNA does act as a semi-conductor in the right instances, but I highly doubt it could ever be used in the manner you're talking about.

Sorry buddy, that's just the way the universe exploded.

here's another thought, until we live on multiple planets far away and until we have ships that can travel lightyears in seconds, hence until we harness the power of wormwholes there would be no need in anything faster then telecom, and once we do harness the power of wormwholes, we should be able to create those directly between phones and then use some telecom signal or straight sound waves to communicate... think about it, it would be like stargate, except instead of a huge gate, we'll have phones with neato glowing symbols, instead of a huge explosion when the wormwhole is established. we would have a really really tiny one, and if you are good, you could devise a way to tranfer material things via the phone (by creating a sort of miniaturized stargate to break material into subparticles on one side and materialize the subparticles on the other :xparty: now those would be the supermarkets i would enjoy, "beep, yes i would like a slice of double cheese pizza please, that would be 12 credits sir please press verification button, dna matches, you are approved, your pizza is ready, here you go" as a freshly baked piece of steaming pizza comes out of your phone... mmm delicious)

That being said, DNA does act as a semi-conductor in the right instances, but I highly doubt it could ever be used in the manner you're talking about.

Doubt! we all do that. Would anybody have imagined telecom a hundred years ago? Haven't you ever experienced some kind of telepathy? You are thinking/talking about someone and s/he drps in the next minute? Can anyone explain these very common experience?:xparty:

Doubt! we all do that. Would anybody have imagined telecom a hundred years ago? Haven't you ever experienced some kind of telepathy? You are thinking/talking about someone and s/he drps in the next minute? Can anyone explain these very common experience?:evil:

cooincidance?

I see what your saying though.. a hundred years ago, we didnt have the slightest hint that we could communicate with anyone in the world at any moment (practically) almost instintaniously. Now we can chat with a buddy in taiwan, and play a game of chess with someone in ottowa, and be talking on the phone to you mother in law...

back to the point.. telepathy would be quite a feat to harness, but i certainly think that it will be possible in the future. Hey, we are already beginning to fabricate organs... one day we'll build our OWN planets...:evil:

Haven't you ever experienced some kind of telepathy? You are thinking/talking about someone and s/he drps in the next minute? Can anyone explain these very common experience?:evil:

Very interesting question. I have been thinking about and researching these issues for years, but have nothing solid yet. It is most definitely a combination of things, and depending on what you're into, that's what you will use to explain it.

It could be an EM (electromagnetism) thing. Nerve cells communicate chemo-electrically (electrical impulse triggered by chemical flow)... a travelling electric current generates a magnetic field, and perhaps that field interacts with other fields outside the body. There's iron in our blood... that gets impacted by magnetism and our bloodflow is altered as well (this could be used to bring ideas like chi/qi from other cultures into the mix...) The signal is pretty weak, and it is a bit of a "butterfly effect" concept, but hey, who knows?

It could be anything. Maybe when our brains are active spacetime is warped in those and surrounding regions and the warpage coming from us interacts with that caused by others. A collective unconscious thing is elicited with this idea. All warpage together... like people are little gravity wells. We are drawn to some more than others... :evil:

It could be that as the individual we foresaw began approaching us (or getting ready to call, or looked at us just as we looked at them, whatever) that the possibility of other things occurring decreased and we noticed the change (somehow) in the probability wave of that occurance. There's a guy in England I think, Rupert Sheldrake, who is doing some work on some of these ideas and calls his theory Morphic fields, but I am not yet ready to buy into that completely myself. What is cool is that he's trying to come up with some experiments to test these ideas.

http://www.sheldrake.org/

What about when we have technology enough to interpret thought and communication patterns and we have something like nanochips implanted into our synapses... We could have "computer assisted telepathy?" Sweet! That's a whole other Orwellian kind of scary, but fear doesn't tend to stop progress... we have government for that.

These ideas could further translate into "computer assisted telekinesis." Heck, I already can turn on my oven at home through the internet at work.... Put the mouse into your brain and |poof|, there you go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

InfiniteNow

It could be an EM (electromagnetism) thing. Nerve cells communicate chemo-electrically (electrical impulse triggered by chemical flow)... a travelling electric current generates a magnetic field, and perhaps that field interacts with other fields outside the body. There's iron in our blood... that gets impacted by magnetism and our bloodflow is altered as well (this could be used to bring ideas like chi/qi from other cultures into the mix...) The signal is pretty weak, and it is a bit of a "butterfly effect" concept, but hey, who knows?

It could be anything. Maybe when our brains are active spacetime is warped in those and surrounding regions and the warpage coming from us interacts with that caused by others. A collective unconscious thing is elicited with this idea. All warpage together... like people are little gravity wells. We are drawn to some more than others... :)

It could be that as the individual we foresaw began approaching us (or getting ready to call, or looked at us just as we looked at them, whatever) that the possibility of other things occurring decreased and we noticed the change (somehow) in the probability wave of that occurance. There's a guy in England I think, Rupert Sheldrake, who is doing some work on some of these ideas and calls his theory Morphic fields, but I am not yet ready to buy into that completely myself. What is cool is that he's trying to come up with some experiments to test these ideas.

http://www.sheldrake.org/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

InfiniteNow

Why do we limit our imagination to EM waves only. Nobody could imagine these waves a hundred years ago. EM waves are due to electronic transitions in atoms. How about interactions of still more fundamental particles, say quarks. May be several decades later we will discover new waves that are not EM and are produced due to transitions of the other fundamental particles.

So, let's unchaion are thoughts from EM waves or computers and think of other possibilities, that is true scientific spirit.;)

It could be anything. Maybe when our brains are active spacetime is warped in those and surrounding regions and the warpage coming from us interacts with that caused by others. A collective unconscious thing is elicited with this idea. All warpage together... like people are little gravity wells. We are drawn to some more than others... ;)

What about when we have technology enough to interpret thought and communication patterns and we have something like nanochips implanted into our synapses... We could have "computer assisted telepathy?" Sweet! That's a whole other Orwellian kind of scary, but fear doesn't tend to stop progress... we have government for that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

InfiniteNow

Why do we limit our imagination to EM waves only. That is contrary to the scientific spirit. Science progresses only when scientists imagine what was not imagined.

EM waves are due to transitions of subatomic particles: electrons, protons or neutrons. Now we know that partciles much smaller then these particles, the fundamental particles, also. How about waves produced by transitions of say quarks. That are around waiting to be discovered.:). World beyond eM waves or computers are waiting to be discovered.;)

Why do we limit our imagination to EM waves only. Nobody could imagine these waves a hundred years ago.

I couldn't agree more, hallenrm. I just wanted to pose three or four ideas about which I had thought in the past. In no way meant to exclude other possibilities by suggesting these few. Besides, alexander already covered the wormhole concept in their post. That's certainly another idea with real potential. Quantum tunnelling? Why not?

Maybe we need to break out of the whole concept of communicating with words... a recurring theme in this thread has been telepathy. It would sure be nice to hear more science behind that concept. Unfortunately, it tends always to be relegated to the realm of psuedo-science.

Cheers. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

InfiniteNow

communication with something other then em waves is possible, but it wont be useful while most of our devices run on the em principal, simply because hardware will then need a translation layer tto go back to the older technology...

Agreed, but won't it be lot better to have options. I believe that the kind of communication that I am visualizing, may be possible, at least in the next hundred years, between few human beings only, not between human beings and em enabled machines. It would be communication free from the need of any gadgets what so ever.

Any takers.:rolleyes: