Science Forums

PiLOT LIGHT

Queso

i live in kind of ghetto apartments.

all of my stuff is messed up.

and the other night my heater WOULD NOT TURN OFF

so i freaked out and didnt know what to do because it was about midnight and 90 degrees

since i didnt have a spray bottle

or any weird metal tool that would stop the gas flow

i just flanked my heater with 3 bottles of water

and yes, it worked

now my pilot light has been deactivated and im freezing!

how can i light it myself, without calling PG AND E?

ps my pg and e bill was 100 bucks. i hate those guys.

inow my pilot light has been deactivated and im freezing!

how can i light it myself, without calling PG AND E?

Remove the cover plate & find the main gas control knob. They usually have three markings, Off, On, & Pilot. Open the small pilot light door (or otherwise locate where you will stick in a match); turn the knob to Pilot. Now push in on the knob or sometimes there is a longish button sticking out to push & insert your lit match to the pilot light gas jet. You must keep the button/knob pushed in while you do this & until you see the pilot is going on its own. Then close the pilot light door & turn the knob to ON. Close any remaining covers & turn the thermostat to desired setting.

As always, use caution when working with fire.

ah! brotherly conduct, thank you very much.

De nada. If the heater continues to run without stopping again, do by all means call the gas company. Often times they offer free inspections, etc. & maintain lists of qualified repair persons. Turning the knob to off stops the flow of gas & the fan may run till the heater box cools. All landlords have the requirement to provide working heat.:cup:

do you think i should try lighting it with the switch ON?

its an old heater, so ghetto.

If you mean by "switch" the knob I described, then no; you must set the knob to the "Pilot" position to light the pilot. This is its function. Once the pilot is going, then turn the knob to On.

If you mean by "switch" some other electrical switch etc. , yes by all means have such switches on.

Standing by.:cup:

All landlords have the requirement to provide working heat.:cup:
This is the truth, and in the commie bay area (even San Jose), your landlord can get in major trouble for this.

In a ghetto area, I'm sure you have problems getting the landlord to do anything, but a *surefire* way to get him on premises quickly is to call him, tell him the problem, and then *tell him you want permission to do it yourself*. I'm sure given the thought of the smoking hulk of his underinsured property happening any minute will get him there promptly.

Of course, all the more reason not to do it yourself, although after years of fear, I too learned to light it myself, following Turtle's precise method.

Good luck Mr. Phelps,

Buffy