Science Forums

PiLOT LIGHT

Queso

Good luck Mr. Phelps,

Buffy

I love Mr. Phelps! Now there was a person that knew their way around latex.:confused:

Glad to help Orby. Virtually any gas fired furnace or water heater works the same way in regard to lighting the pilot.

A further safety note is to learn where your gas meter is outside & how to turn the gas off/on there using a wrench. In an earthquake, or malfunction in the furnace valve that allows leaking gas into the house, go immediately to the meter & turn off the main valve. It is often unmarked, but has a rectangular protuberence which you apply the wrench too. Turn the valve 90 degrees to turn off/on. Again, the gas company provides brochures for renters/homeowners describing these procedures; free!

Nothing better than a warm Orb.:cup:

Aye, and be VERY careful with gas: I'm actually kinda worried I didn't get a chance to chime in before this: NEVER LEAVE GAS ON WITHOUT VENTILATION AND THE FLAME GOING!!!

If the heater is malfuntioning, ghetto apartment or not, DEMAND to have it inspected IMMIDIATLY; GAS IS NOT SOMETHING TO PLAY WITH!!! ALL GAS APPLIANCES AND PIPE FITTINGS NEED TO BE INSPECTED AND REPAIRED BY A LICENCED TECHNITION!

The fact you hammered on the valve quite frankly frightens me; I don't want toasty Orb to turn into Toasted orb because a hairline fracture opened in the fitting due to the hammering, and gas seeped out and up, slowly filling your apartment untill it finally got down to the pilot light level! By all means man, this is your life! Do not play with fire you don't COMPLETELY understand.

I CANNOT stress this enough; I have seen what kinds of nasty brain damage can occur from leaking gas, and I've seen what happens when a house detonates too.