Science Forums

Mystery Equation

paladinnh

Is anyone interested enough in math to help me come up with an equation. If I understood the structure of the question I would need to ask, I could probably solve it myself. I'm an idea guy, not a math guy.

This could turn out to be interesting for you if you also like a good mystery. I have a fairly clear idea of what the end product should be but just don't know how to get there. Think of it as a riddle. (But not really)

Mystery Equation: I need to come up with the equation so I can change the variables. Time is an important factor in this equation as is the compound net gain.

Part A:

starting with a bucket of 12 beans

I place 6 beans in one of your hands

each second for 12 seconds you place 12% of the value that I have given you into my bucket for a total of 8.64 beans after 12 seconds

Part B:

at the 7 second mark I put 6 more into the other hand and the process starts again and the 12% per second is again placed into the bucket for 12 seconds for a total of 144%

Part c

This is where it gets difficult for me..

repeat the process for the first set of beans plus one unit of (6) if the "gross" value of beans gained within the bucket is divisible by 6, assuming that all of the beans placed in your hands come from the bucket.

this is to be repeated indefinitely for both hands pulling beans from the bucket by integers of 6 and adding them to the next hand in the rotation.

The beans in your hands never themselves get returned to the bucket and the beans that you place in my bucket come from a basket where there is an unlimited supply. The amount being added to the bucket at the end of 12 seconds is always 144% of what is in the corresponding hand.

There is an added complication

The 12% to be added to the bucket after the end of each second is also dependent on what is in the other hand. So both sets of beans are to be used to calculate to ammount gained per second.

starting with a bucket of 12 beans

I place 6 beans in one of your hands

each second for 12 seconds you place 12% of the value that I have given you into my bucket for a total of 8.64 beans after 12 seconds

Do you take out 12% of the total then continuously take out that first amount each time after, or do you continuously take 12% of what remains.

6 beans, 12% of that=.72beans (1sec) (12)-(.72)=11.28 take 12% of that and u get 1.35 beans. etc etc. 9.93, 8.7, 7.65,

and now im too tired to continue, but I dont think you considered the loss in each hand per second ..?

Remember that the beans in your hand never get depleted during the rotation. They are tossed into your supply basket at the completion of a rotation. Each parallel starting rotation amount is dependent on the number of beans in my bucket rounded down to the nearest 6.

6 beans in hand, 12% of that = .72 beans x 12 seconds = 8.64

at rotation end:

8.64 go to my bucket

The 6 in your hand go into your basket and the rotation is reset

Based on what is in my bucket I will start a new rotation of 6 in your hand because you have to round down to the nearest integer divisible by 6

if the amount in the bucket is 12 or more then the amount I will start the next rotation with would be 12 - 18 - 24...(respectively)etc.

I'll give a free web site hosting to the person who helps me with this. I know it isn't real eloquent but the basics are present. If you are interested in the hosting package please give me a heads up.

I am quite good at math. One of my professional duties is to build math models of physical systems. However, your description of your "problem" is not at all clear. Perhaps if you started over with a clean description, without all the flashbacks, exceptions and oh-by-the-way complications.

There is quite a bit involved. It would be nice to sit down in front of someone and explain what I am trying to do via direct Q&A. The only means I can think of is through a chat interface. I am horrible with structuring equations, hence the reasion I am asking for help. A 2 way brainstorming session would probibly get the job done. If I already had the question perfectly formulated, it would probibly answer my question anyhow.

Is anyone interested enough in math to help me come up with an equation. ...each second for 12 seconds you place 12% of the value that I have given you into my bucket for a total of 8.64 beans after 12 seconds

___Yes, I have the interest. There is no such thing as "8.64 beans" & so all that follows on such a false premise is by default false.:cup:

How about we switch to dollars then.

---------------------------------------------

Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

-Bertrand Russell-

As you pointed out, you don't even have a clear idea what the question is. I cannot presume to offer a clear answer to a vaque question. I do not doubt that you "see" the question but simply cannot express it. Try looking through the archive here at Hypography in the Physics & Math forum; you may find a discussion in line with your thoughts.:cup: