Science Forums

I exist because of nth number of people

Guest jamongo

Guest jamongo

Consider that I am here, because a generation ago, my mother and father mated.:)

They existed because two generations ago, my paternal grandfather and paternal grandmother and my maternal grandfather and maternal grandmother mated.:)

So for me to be here now, two generations ago, four people were required. If this continues backwards in time for 64 generations, the number of people required for me to be here would exceed 1,000,000,000,000.:)

A bit of research shows that this number exceeds greatly, the number of people that have lived on the earth.

(http://www.prb.org/Template.cfm?Section=PRB&template=/Content/ContentGroups/02_Articles/0ct-Dec02/How_Many_People_Have_Ever_Lived_on_Earth_.htm

This appears to be a paradox.:)

Any thoughts, opinions, comments, etc.?:)

Consider that I am here, because a generation ago, my mother and father mated.:)

They existed because two generations ago, my paternal grandfather and paternal grandmother and my maternal grandfather and maternal grandmother mated.:)

So for me to be here now, two generations ago, four people were required. If this continues backwards in time for 64 generations, the number of people required for me to be here would exceed 1,000,000,000,000.:)

A bit of research shows that this number exceeds greatly, the number of people that have lived on the earth.

(http://www.prb.org/Template.cfm?Section=PRB&template=/Content/ContentGroups/02_Articles/0ct-Dec02/How_Many_People_Have_Ever_Lived_on_Earth_.htm

Jammin' wit ja jam-on-go. "Another one fell biting the dust." - Illiad - Homer

Cogitating. Hey, how about that Dymaxion Map eh? Where's a good place to get a web versiopn that prints up well on 11X17 paper?

Rock on.:)

Here's a short animation, but I want a good print. I only have black ink write know.

http://www.wnet.org/bucky/dymap.html

Guest jamongo
Jamongo, interesting. especially since modern man is supposed to be only 50, ooo years old. i wonder where he was before he suddenly appeared at that time ?

I could not associate that response with my original post. I regret being so dense. :hihi:

"Appears" is the key word here. Most families have more than one child, or none. In many cultures (like ours) it is also not uncommon that each person has several children with different mates.

Yes, that could resolve some percentage, but how much I wouldn't venture a guess.

I have read that "incest" probably accounts for the larger percentage. Which would explain why we humans are so much alike, with the genes being about 99.9 percent the same. And it might also explain why we humans are so "nuts".:hyper:

Consider that I am here, because a generation ago, my mother and father mated.:hihi:

So for me to be here now, two generations ago, four people were required. If this continues backwards in time for 64 generations, the number of people required for me to be here would exceed 1,000,000,000,000.:hyper:

Very simple. You make one false assumption that the family tree constantly divides as you go back in history and never overlaps. Say your great great great great great grandmother was also your wife's great great great great great grandmother. You've just reduced your huge number by 1. Now repeat that for all the occurences.

Guest jamongo
Very simple. You make one false assumption that the family tree constantly divides as you go back in history and never overlaps. Say your great great great great great grandmother was also your wife's great great great great great grandmother. You've just reduced your huge number by 1. Now repeat that for all the occurences.

Yes, I agree with you. Which means all of us human things are probably related. White, black, red, green, yellow, orange, we are all one big family!

Hey bro! :)

hey bro!

i guess this means i've shagged my sisters :cup:

pshh, who hasn't? We're all family... because we're all human. I think of Homo Sapian as one big family. And we are probably not just related to ourselves... we are probably distantly related to many other animals on earth... if not all. All life probably spouted at the exact same time from teh exact same organisms... and so, every being on this planet is probably distantly related. Earthlings in general are a family... but if you really wanna get deep into it... who's to say that the micro organisms taht started life on earth didn;t come here on an asteroid... we may be very very distantly related to aliens that don't exist anymore. My thoery is... everything is related.

pshh, who hasn't? We're all family... because we're all human. I think of Homo Sapian as one big family. And we are probably not just related to ourselves... we are probably distantly related to many other animals on earth... if not all. All life probably spouted at the exact same time from teh exact same organisms... and so, every being on this planet is probably distantly related. Earthlings in general are a family... but if you really wanna get deep into it... who's to say that the micro organisms taht started life on earth didn;t come here on an asteroid... we may be very very distantly related to aliens that don't exist anymore. My thoery is... everything is related.

Aliens take it up to a differen't level. Who knows. Its possible. Imagine earth being invaded by aliens, and they looked exactly alike as us? Thatd be a trip.

well judging from the ridiculously large amount of uncharted space, the odds of other places existing with a suitable envioronment for life is rather likely.

although there is no telling what kind of organisms/beings this would include considering that they could well have evolved in completely different ways than our minds yet comprehend.

again off topic, but whatever

how would one bring this post into the proper area for a split discussion?

[i'm new (obviously)]

(english is not my first language so let's laugh too!)

Yeah this is almost the answer. Only one little touch: having your wife the same great great great great great grandmother will not reduce your tree. But, having your parents the same great great great great great grandmother will reduce your tree, not by one, but by 2* (* = number of generations before that one). That would mean you are your cousin. And probably, after that much generations you can even be your own uncle and nephiew.

Other interesting data: yes we share 99.99% of genes, but we share too, more than 99.98% (if I don't remember well, it's 98%) of genes with a rat. And not much less with a little bug, and so on.

So, when Math isn't good enough, try logic. Yes we're related, and it's funny and very interesting for at a simple look you can guess how close or far.

So, me, my uncle (me again), my nephiew (still me), my cousin (guess who), wish you all, my family, a very merry Christmas.